bad day in the shopUPDATES

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

Aug wrote:1. go to craigslist -> "free" -> look for "free door(s)" -> go get your new, flat free door.
2. go to craigslist -> "free" -> look for "free lumber" -> go get your new, 2x4's.
3. go home -> unload yer shit -> build yourself a fucking table that'll hold a car.
4. go to the fridge -> get a beer -> open beer -> say "Cheers, Aug" -> enjoy beer and your new workbench.
Or do it the Aug way....

1. Take off your bathroom Door (cause you enjoy having everyone see you pee).
2. Spend an entire day working your ass off to aquire a handful of free 2x4's. (cause you are too cheep to spend money).
3. Unload your shit and slap together a free table with all your free shit.
4. Drink beer the entire time talk about the boards.

That's the way to get it done! :wink:
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

thats not a bad idea.... altho most doors are fairly flimsey.
altho tracys dad said i could scavange the old barn.
could be worth it.
red oak for about 1920 or so, most of the outside is crap and falling apart but the inside is spic n span!
robert(original)

ok guys, more bad news, last night the sub pump basically died and i awake today at 9 a.m. to about 6 inches of standing water in the shop, and the band area.
i have it under control at the moment, with three sub pumps working at once, but more rain is on the way.
im really sorry to inform everyone but if you are looking to get something done or anything custom then you just going to have to wait,
i had to use my money for a new table to buy a sub pump and rent a giant pump for the basement.
im really sorry guys and gals but at the moment im fuct! srsly fuct!
the only thing im working with at the moment is rob roes neck and that is going slow enough as is. i may need to replace my rigid router(300+) as it was submereged in water.
i took some pics of the before and after mess so they will comming shortyl but ta the moment i need to make sure that ot does not flood anymore, it has been a constant battle and i have had to chuck many items such as my beloved conn organ( the power tube box was FILLED with water and i sweat one of the tubes had water in it.
at any rate, thank you all for your patience, and im really truly trying to get things back in order but at this rate it will be at least a couple more weeks.
im sorry and thank you for understanding.
peace
robert(original)
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

:?
dawnofzion

Post by dawnofzion »

damn robert.....when it rains it pours. You can't get a break to save your life. Sorry to hear all the bad news
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

Oh Fuck dude :shock:

glad you live :shock: could be died whit the saw hitting you :shock:

you knew saw + neck = Bad trip .. :x

Goddamn i losted :shock:
Precise dwarf bravery
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

robert: at least now you'll have to clean your shop! :lol:

*much love*
robert(original)

it was spotless less than week ago.
here are the pics they may be hard to tell but trust me. there was about 5-6 inches of standing water
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

that just sucks man. When I was growing up (in Southeastern rural Ohio), my parents ran an upholstery shop in our basemeny while my dad was in college. Of course a couple times per year the heavy rains would come and it would flood. If that coincided with some snow melting you were fucked. I know we lost several power tools, radios, etc due to unexpected flooding at night.

Also, ignore my PM on the tele. I will hit you up on it later as I am in no hurry and might just buy one of the strummer teles....
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

man, rob i'm really sorry that all of this has happened to you. Don't be discouraged though, things will get better.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Aug wrote:robert: at least now you'll have to clean your shop! :lol:

*much love*
That's completely not cool. Way to be a dick.

Really sorry to hear about this Robert, I'm hoping this is the last of the bad stuff and things will turn up soon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Ack, best of luck dude- that's fucking harsh.
NickS

Post by NickS »

robert(original) wrote:i have had to chuck many items such as my beloved conn organ( the power tube box was FILLED with water and i sweat one of the tubes had water in it.
DO NOT CHUCK!

Leave to dry out. Encourage drying with gentle heat, e.g. fan heater if you like. Water doesn't hurt electrics as long as they are not powered on. If muddy, wash out with clean water and allow to dry thoroughly. If you have issues with water quality use battery top-up water (distilled/demineralised) from the local car shop.
NickS

Post by NickS »

.. of course, you need to check you haven't got any pooled water, e.g. if your preamp valves are in shrouds/sleeves the base could fill up....
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Mike wrote:
Aug wrote:robert: at least now you'll have to clean your shop! :lol:

*much love*
That's completely not cool. Way to be a dick.
what? No... I was trying to bring a bit of levity to poor Robert's plight.

Robert: I hope everything works out for you, seriously.
robert(original)

too late for the organ, i chopped it and burned it last night, made for a good fire. :twisted:
but i needed to get some agression out anyway.
most everything is opened up and drying,
the scary part was the fact that my rigid router was plugged in and sitting in the pool of what.
but with ridgid i bet everything is encased with plastic and what not anyway.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

well, the good news is, you can take the router apart, clean it, possibly replace the brushes and odds are, it'll be fine. At least try that before tossing it in the crash.
robert(original)

there is no way in hell im going to take that thing apart.
i got a lifetime warranty, to questions, not bullshit.
i could take it to them right now, tell them it was sitting in a pool of water and just ask for another one.
which i may actually do that, just to be on the safe side.
damn thing was about 317 bucks or something crazy, but it came with alot of crap and its the only thing besides a porter cable that is made of good metal.
mewithoutus

Post by mewithoutus »

NickS wrote:
robert(original) wrote:i have had to chuck many items such as my beloved conn organ( the power tube box was FILLED with water and i sweat one of the tubes had water in it.
DO NOT CHUCK!

Leave to dry out. Encourage drying with gentle heat, e.g. fan heater if you like. Water doesn't hurt electrics as long as they are not powered on. If muddy, wash out with clean water and allow to dry thoroughly. If you have issues with water quality use battery top-up water (distilled/demineralised) from the local car shop.
nick is absolutely right. electronics engineers se aqueous based cleaners to clean components and circuit boards and whatnot. you can spray blue shower on your circuits cant ya? of course!

so long as everything is dry and clean, there should be no issues. just make sure whatever got wet is COMPLETELY DRY before turning it on.

much love man. if i lived nearby i would be over in a jiff to help clean up.
rich people say fuck yeah hey hey
heavium wrote:grow a bat army in my room and train them to attack when someone comes in
dawnofzion

Post by dawnofzion »

A freind of mine spilled an entire beer in his laptop keyboard. He let it completely dry and turned it back on and it worked perfectly. It stunk like skunked beer when it heated up but it worked. I would just let all the tool and thing dry out naturally and see what works and doesn't. Just make sure to lube everything up really good fairly quickly so it doesn't rust or seize.