shortscale love for acoustic guitars?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

GreenKnee wrote:I'm no expert on acoustics, just most 000s nowadays are the shape of my Martin, but it may have changed at some point? Or it may not be the shape of the body, more the size possibly?
It was a Martin shape from way back when. They had sizes 3 to 1 initially, getting bigger as the number got smaller. Eventually they worked up to 0, 00, 000, and 0000. I believe 000 is properly called "Orchestra" size. Parlor would be sizes 3-0, since AFAIK they were the ones still mostly intended for parlors, whereas 00-0000 were for performance in concert groups.
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

Yeah, way back when is right. This is a parlour. Sizewise, don't be fooled by the table. It's a kid's table.
This guitar was sooper cheap and plays really nice. Soundwise it lacks bottom end and it's boxy and pretty quiet - I just bought it for some Robert Johnson-ness while slightly tipsy on the west side of Tottenham Court Rd.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

i love me some acoustic playing.. i have 7 of them... including my acoustic bass...
however these would be the 3 i play most often these days..

► Show Spoiler
The S&P, and the Ibanez are the main guitars that I use for playing acoustic shows. The Fender i use mostly for writing, and working out new songs with.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Martin OO-15 and Seagull S12+

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

After reading this thread it’s put me in the mood for a new acoustic, has any one got or played a Vintage V300 Acoustic Guitar? I like the look of the Vintage Sunburst and apparently Guitar Magazine awarded the V300 ‘Best Acoustic Guitar Under £1000’ in their end of year round up.

XY
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

paul_ wrote:Martin OO-15
► Show Spoiler
oohhhh, liek
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I recently bought myself this guy.

I also have and used for a long time a Johnson cutaway that cost me $75. For being a cheap guitar it has a lot of projection. All shortscale compilation entries up until now have been on that guy.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
MMPicker

Re: shortscale love for acoustic guitars?

Post by MMPicker »

sonicboom wrote: It's a Crafter TA050AM and it's pretty much a copy of a 1930 Martin 000-45 - of which there's one here http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/2179 ... _41539/for a hefty chunk o'change.
So.. it's got solid old-growth Brazilian rosewood back & sides, adirondack spruce top, designed, built and braced the same as a 1930 000-45, broken in via 80+ years of playing time on it, and is about the best sounding acoustic guitar anyone's ever played?

Very impressive score, in that case. The closest modern repros I know of are selling for like $30,000+.

But on the other hand, you think that's a big price difference, wait, I can get you a good deal on a "Stradivarious" violin, just over from China, sure looks like a violin to me, but with an even bigger price difference.
Last edited by MMPicker on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
George

Post by George »

dezb1 wrote:After reading this thread it’s put me in the mood for a new acoustic, has any one got or played a Vintage V300 Acoustic Guitar? I like the look of the Vintage Sunburst and apparently Guitar Magazine awarded the V300 ‘Best Acoustic Guitar Under £1000’ in their end of year round up.

£125 guitar gets best in show under £1000? Wow.
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

George wrote:
dezb1 wrote:After reading this thread it’s put me in the mood for a new acoustic, has any one got or played a Vintage V300 Acoustic Guitar? I like the look of the Vintage Sunburst and apparently Guitar Magazine awarded the V300 ‘Best Acoustic Guitar Under £1000’ in their end of year round up.

I had the natural finish one for about five years until I gave it to my son. Absolutely brilliant guitar for the money.
George

Post by George »

How big is it compared to a parlour?
MMPicker

Post by MMPicker »

Here's a shortscale acoustic:

And here's a few long scales:

(this is a very famous guitar, seriously)

(an OM)

just thought I'd share, someone might like them.
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

George wrote:How big is it compared to a parlour?
Bigger than a parlour, maybe 000 size?
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

sonicboom wrote:
George wrote:

I had the natural finish one for about five years until I gave it to my son. Absolutely brilliant guitar for the money.
Looks like I've just found my next guitar
XY
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

I have a acoustic guitar, that I actually play the most (of my guitars) and I was thinking of getting something better (this is a strange no-name)..

I was thiknig about these three.. maybe some suggestions/advice
Seagull S6
Epiphone EJ160
Or just an Epiphone dreanuuut

(I do alot of simple fingerpicking,just a note, witch of these could have a brighter sound..etc)
+ The guitar that started this thread cost 45'000 dollars ? wow.
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
MMPicker

Post by MMPicker »

A few more, sorry, then I'll stop:

back to the roots:

the great folk scare:

There's more than one way to "play" an acoustic guitar:

The end
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I love to play acoustic. My main-acoustic is a yamaha fgx720sc. The 12string is an old harmony.
The left is a russian pre-war. The right is a 62 framus junior with a tele pu - my slideguitar.
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

Jagsonic, that Harmony 12 string looks seriously good. How's it play? I played an old one years ago and it was the second loudest guitar I've heard (the loudest was a big fuckoff Guild about the size of a wardrobe).
Also, yer slide guitar: I've got something very similar at the back of the cupboard missing a bridge like the one you've got. Where'd you get it (the bridge)? I can't find one anywhere.

Plenty love for the acoustic so far it would seem, folks.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

The harmony plays good and sounds great. It has not so a thick body as the yamaha, so it's not as loud. My father bought it 1973 and gave it to me last year. The only problem is - like often on old 12strings - a high action. I think the top came up because of the stringtension. Open chords plays really good. I will have to modify the bridge one day...
The framus slideguitar has it's stock bridge. It was there when i bought it. I only electrified it...
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

dezb1 wrote:
sonicboom wrote:
George wrote: £125 guitar gets best in show under £1000? Wow.
Looks like I've just found my next guitar
George, go to Merchant City Music and buy one tomorrow.