your guitars and who inspired their purchase...

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

WayToHip

Post by WayToHip »

I never had a guitar god to look upon when I started playing, I love Sonic Youth but they aren't an influence on my playing. Some how, the sound of jazz guitar was an ideal, but I can barely play and jazz is not what I set out to do.

Jaguar and Danelectro: Friends had these guitars, and the quirky looks and supposed cheapness attracted me.

Epi Thunderbird bass: Krist Novoselic played one, and so did Kim Gordon. Krist was a bigger influence, and humbuckers did wonders to hide the pawn shop's bad wiring.

Harmony Hollywood: Everyone in town played solid bodied guitars so I decided to play hollow bodies to go against the norm, also I thought full sized arch top guitars looked cooler than telecasters or Les Pauls.

El Degas LP: Josh Homme and humbuckers rock.

Jack Casady bass: The bassist in Black Rebel Motorcycle Club plays an Epiphone Rivoli, and hollow bodied guitars and basses are cooler.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

casey fucking prestwood

read all about the guitar in what turned out to be the only shortscale.org interview ever.
http://www.shortscale.org/wiki/index.ph ... _Interview

Image[/img]

Image[/img]
dots wrote:incesticide
lorez

Post by lorez »

nearly every indie band from the late 80s early 90s really
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

BearBoy wrote:Seem to remember you weren't that enamoured with the SG200 when you first got it? I assume it must have grown on you? Rather depressingly, I think I have had my SG200 since before you were born *arsecake*
Aye, I wasn't really arsed about it at first. There's a bunch of wear which the seller didn't make me aware of, so I was annoyed about that, and I think it put me off the guitar for a bit. But after a month or two it grew on me and, to be honest, it shits all over every other guitar I've owned. Although I'd like to change the bridge pickup at some point.

Like I said, the SG200 was inspired by Fran specifically. But having thought more about it, I'm gonna contradict my original post. My Vintage SG was definitely inspired by a few people; Tony Iommi, Stephen Malkmus and Falco most notably.

I love how there's very little that can go wrong with an SG. It's a lot like a Tele in that respect. In fact, my Vintage SG is arguably more like a Tele with the pickups I've got in it (taken from BobArseCake's Squier VM Jaguar).
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

They were Mike's.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

WELL THEN.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

dezb1 wrote:FAO Fran

Had that issue as well :)

Never knew Charlie Burchill had used a V. Underrated guitarist.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Freddy V-C wrote:
BearBoy wrote:Seem to remember you weren't that enamoured with the SG200 when you first got it? I assume it must have grown on you? Rather depressingly, I think I have had my SG200 since before you were born *arsecake*
Aye, I wasn't really arsed about it at first. There's a bunch of wear which the seller didn't make me aware of, so I was annoyed about that, and I think it put me off the guitar for a bit. But after a month or two it grew on me and, to be honest, it shits all over every other guitar I've owned. Although I'd like to change the bridge pickup at some point.

Like I said, the SG200 was inspired by Fran specifically. But having thought more about it, I'm gonna contradict my original post. My Vintage SG was definitely inspired by a few people; Tony Iommi, Stephen Malkmus and Falco most notably.

I love how there's very little that can go wrong with an SG. It's a lot like a Tele in that respect. In fact, my Vintage SG is arguably more like a Tele with the pickups I've got in it (taken from BobArseCake's Squier VM Jaguar).
I thought falco was a bass player!?
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Fran wrote:

I still have it (or it would have been hard to take that picture). All my playing technique comes from this issue, t'is my bible. All the "alternative" guitar tricks from the Velvet underground's droning strings through the 80s heavily modulated chorus sound to the 90s grunge loud quiet loud... And all points in-between. The dawning of "fuck, that's how you play guitar..." Before this issue I was just posing in front of the mirror.

Charlie's the man, met him a couple if times thoroughly nice bloke...
Last edited by dezb1 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

dezb1 wrote:
Fran wrote:

I still have it (or it would have been hard to take that picture). All my playing technique comes from this issue, t'is my bible. All the "alternative" guitar tricks from the Velvet underground's droning strings through the 80s heavily modulated chorus sound to the 90s grunge loud quiet loud... And all points in-between. The dawning of "fuck, that's how you play guitar..." Before this issue u was just posing in front of the mirror.

Charlie's the man, met him a couple if times thoroughly nice bloke...
It was only recently I cleared all my mags out.
At the time I loved them, especially Total Guitar. I got loads of ideas from them and because I never bothered with the audio CD it was usually my own interpretation taken from the tabs.
I know what you mean, it dragged me away from barre chords and all that.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

It has lived the last 20 years in I a zip lock bag on me book shelf, I read it every now and again to remind myself how much I wanted to learn teh guitar... December 1995 eh! Long time ago... It's probably older than Freddy!
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

lol people actually liked Bush.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

dezb1 wrote:I thought falco was a bass player!?
Not sure if there's more than one Falco, but the one I'm referring to is the guitarist/vocalist in Future of the Left and used to do the same in mclusky.

singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Noirie. wrote:lol people actually liked Bush.
Yes, don't remind me. I saw them in concert*

*more than once
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I also forgot that Juliana Hatfield ever existed. I'm guessing our younger posters have never even heard of her?
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Not me... The issue did have some duds in it.
Last edited by dezb1 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Freddy V-C wrote:
dezb1 wrote:I thought falco was a bass player!?
Not sure if there's more than one Falco, but the one I'm referring to is the guitarist/vocalist in Future of the Left and used to do the same in mclusky.

[youtube][/youtube]
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

i still do.. keep it on the down low
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Juliana Hatfield is actually good. I went through a phase of listening to all her albums about ten years ago. There are many more than you'd imagine. Total System Failure is very good of the later ones. I think they reformed either Blake Babies or Juliana Hatfield Three recently.

Here's a nice live version of Choose Drugs.

[youtube][/youtube]
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

singlepup wrote:I also forgot that Juliana Hatfield ever existed. I'm guessing our younger posters have never even heard of her?
Only really know her from the come on feel the lemonheads album. Which i loved. A lot.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band