fantastic furry Fredric Effects thread

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

So, in the first of a trio of pedal purchases (more news as it breaks, shortscale), I've treated myself to one of Tim's Scrambler clones: it's a fuzz I've been after for a long time (if only to allow me to make these noises), and since it was partly me nagging him to make them, I thought I should show keen. Plus I'm a sucker for octave fuzzes...

It's a cracking little pedal, but its reputation for keraziness belies some subtle and very useful sounds. It is a fucking nutjob too, though. The controls are a bit unusual; the fuzz level is pretty much set. Texture dials in how much octave you want (from none to klangsizzle) and blend goes from 100% dry to 100% wet. If you're careful with the blend, you can add some depth to your regular signal, or even a (kind of) doubling effect. About two o'clock seems to be the sweet spot on mine. With the texture right down, full chords sound great - I love fuzzes that let you do this. As you ease the texture up, it becomes more unruly and ring-moddy. The octave tracks really nicely quite low down the fretboard (compared to, say, a French Toast, and loads more than a Superfuzz), but will do all sorts of glitching if you want it to as well (ie. play hard rather than soft, with the tone on the guitar up). It's got a definite whip-and-sizzle that I like in octave fuzzes - you clout the guitar and the note saturates then springs back at you. Chords almost do that thing that a Zvex machine does where they form up as they ring out, except with the Scrambler they just keep falling apart.

Special mention must go to how good this sounds with a bass - we were agog at work with how much fun and havoc we could wreak with the blend control: the bass sounded really filthy, but still retained all its bottom end.

Another winner from the house of fredric (and my fifth fredric effects pedal - gawd). And it's pretty.
lorez

Post by lorez »

i just think of the Howling Wolf version when I hear that tune but shit it sounds amazing. Benecol, I might have to camp out on your doorstep now until you give me a loan of the pedal for a couple of days ;)
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Wait for the honeymoon period to wear off and I'll bung it down to you.
lorez

Post by lorez »

benecol wrote:Wait for the honeymoon period to wear off and I'll bung it down to you.
given the recent photos of your pedal basket TM I might have to try and come for a rummage ;)
lorez

Post by lorez »

Tim, pedal just landed at work so I'm looking forward to having a mess about with it this evening, I'll report back.
lorez

Post by lorez »

I love the pedal Tim and with my phaser it sounds brilliant. I'm definitely going to have some fun with this. I know what you mean in the video about chords but with my fuzz in front of it and phaser behind it power chords sound intense.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Hey Tim, thanks very much for the testimonial. Can I bung it on the site?

Lorez, glad to heard you like the Super HiFi Synth pedal. I'm particularly happy how it turned-out, and will be making a few more once I've got a layout designed.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Of course you can x
Simon

Post by Simon »

Finally got round to using the Klon Buffer at practice last night. The thing made so much difference, it's crazy. I had to tweak nearly every pedal because of the way the Klon seemingly brought back all the dynamics and high end. Very happy with this little thing and if you've got more than 3-4 pedals, then I couldn't recommend it more! Cheers Tim :)
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Yup, Buffers have a huge effect on sorting out a mostly True Bypass board.

I remember when I moved to the Pitchblack from the DT-10 my guitar sounded horrible, as soon as I got the DT-10 back on there all was well.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Waiting for the Winter wrote:Finally got round to using the Klon Buffer at practice last night. The thing made so much difference, it's crazy. I had to tweak nearly every pedal because of the way the Klon seemingly brought back all the dynamics and high end. Very happy with this little thing and if you've got more than 3-4 pedals, then I couldn't recommend it more! Cheers Tim :)
Awesome! Really nice to hear. I think that box might be the perfect size for these buffers. I've ordered another 20 and a smaller DC jack to make assembly a little easier. If I can find somewhere cheap and local I may even get them powdercoated.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Fruits of a couple days layout work, all future Green Russian Muff clones will feature neato board-mounted jacks, switch and pots.

This is my prototype- worked first time. Yay!

Haze

Post by Haze »

moses that looks pro, VERY nice work tim!
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

I've got a couple of batches of enclosures at the paintshop- (Systech Harmonic Energizer clones with buffers, extra fuzz stage, expression in; tiny klon buffers) so expect an update soon. Done some building over the past couple days, so there's more completed pedals here than I usually keep around:

timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

New layout for the octave-up/octave-down in parallel pedal. I'm still not sure whether there should be any controls outside the box. Maybe a volume knob. Although it is tempting to have a nice box with only a footswitch up top. Trimmers are octave up gain, octave down gain, master volume.

lorez

Post by lorez »

tim, nice work. i haven't taken the back of the prototype you sold me but did you put trim pots in that one? it would be good to have a play around if so.

i think a volume might make it more versatile though but i like the just on knob aspect of it.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Very clean layout - great work.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Ta!

I spent literally half an hour staring at this board and an empty enclosure yesterday. Now I've definately decided to put a volume control on the front, but for it to fit the jacks will have to mount UNDER the board using the same holes. Good job I got a freebie solder sucker with the £10 soldering kit I'm using while the solder station is away being repaired.

Chris- there are two trimpots in your pedal... but it does get messy in there! Proceed with caution :D
lorez

Post by lorez »

thanks Tim, I always go with caution so if it looks like I can't do it I will screw it back up and live with it.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

New to Fredric Effects!

Pro-finished* Weasel Stomps. These are Systech Harmonic Energizer clones with an added fuzz stage, buffered bypass and expression pedal input.

£120

Klon buffers in tiny professionally finished* enclosures. The best buffer you can buy. Wima caps, metal film resistors, neutrik jacks. Orange LED.

£35 shipped.

* All Fredric Effects that don't have fabric finishes are professionally powdercoated and screen-printed for a finish that'll last for ever.