My RobertOG Mustang Project (DONE - Pix/Video page 7)

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

robert(original) wrote:dude!
that white looks amazing!
im glad that you did that, it would be just wrong to paint it something boring like solid black.
Indeed it would, you sorted me out with a lovely piece of wood, the least I could do was not to cover it up. Thanks again man. Been loving working on this project with my Dad.
astro

Post by astro »

Mike, this guitar you're building is gonna be a beaut'. Nice job! I can't wait to see the finished product.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mike wrote:
Richard wrote:Oh wow, that's looking nice. That really is a beautiful body, such a nice grain.
Indeed, Robert really picked me a peach of a bit of Ash to make this body from. The original plan was for it to be a Block Colour of Crisp White, but after I saw the grain I just couldn't cover it up.
I usually prefer a solid color myself, but you made the right decision for this one. I agree that it's too nice to cover up.

Also, a big +1 to getting the reddest tort available.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Thanks guys.

I'll make a post in Guitar Resources.
tribi9
Administrator

Post by tribi9 »

U should do a transparent Daphne Blue. :D
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

TheBurbz wrote:Do you have pics of the bridge spacer? I'd like to see what you did.
freekandy

Post by freekandy »

sorry if this has been said, but whats the purpose of the bridge spacer?
jaguars :)
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

It's a Mustang body with a Toronado Bridge. So the neck pocket wasn't deep enough for there to be a nice action over the last frets of the neck (a Mustang bridge stands much more proud from teh body than a hardtail toronado bridge), things were buzzy with the bridge at it's maximum setting. We took the neck pocket down ~ 1mm which helped things but any more and we'll run into problems with the strings making contact with the pickups, and I don't want to lower them too far into the pickguard, as it'll look odd, so we're putting these spaces in (obviously with holes drilled for the screws for the bridge and teh strings to teh ferrules to pass through) to lift the bridge off the body a little. it'll be almost undetectable cosmetically and it will allow me to have the bridge grub screws at a more reasonable position than fully extended, meaning they could make their way out.

it's because my design was a hybrid of a HardTail bridge and an originally tremelo guitar body. Solving problems is always fun, it's going to be so lovely when it's finished. I'm delighted with it.
freekandy

Post by freekandy »

oh, thats really cool. what are they made out of?
jaguars :)
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

CD-R's believe it or not. The data layer scrapes right off. The material has to be very hard so it doesn't compress but also easy enough to cut/work with.
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

Mike - I'm sure you thought of this, but don't forget about yer ground wire.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Yup, the wire will go through a hole in the spacer to the bridge. Robert already drilled a channel to the control cavity from under the bridge.

In fact the spacer will clamp it in place to the bridge as well as the soldering, which is an added bonus. Soldering to shiny chrome bridges can be a pain.
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

Nice!
I'm looking forward to seeing this completed. Good work.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
r40f

Post by r40f »

Mike wrote:CD-R's believe it or not. The data layer scrapes right off. The material has to be very hard so it doesn't compress but also easy enough to cut/work with.
another alternative is to use a record... i cut a piece out of an lp to use as a spacer under a neck plate - it worked really well.
letsgocoyote

Post by letsgocoyote »

what did you use for the white wash? and what kind of finish is/went over it?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

White Wood Stain. and it will be clearcoated.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

About 6 light coats of Clear in:

Going to lay at least 10 before sanding.
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

Sweet.
If you think of god as a pair of pants, a spiritualist thinks he needs pants, in fact he wants pants but none of the conventional types of pants seem to fit just right, so he makes his own pants and is happy that his knees are no longer cold.-fibus
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I also ordered that Red Tort blank just now. Thanks for the heads up on GPR by the way, it ended up half price even after delivery costs!
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

That's looking awesome Mike - you definitely made the right choice leaving the grain showing rather than a block colour.