To be fair, it's sort of my job
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

aye.
benecol

Post by benecol »

Another update (courtesy of the EHX board, via Haunting Mids) -
  • "The expression pedal controls delay time when the rate switch is set to either Vibrato or Chorus modes. Set the switch to Exp Pedal and the expression pedal controls the modulation rate"
Coooool.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

benecol wrote: Haunting Mids
Still makes me larf.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

It's something real?

Lol I thought that haunting mids was a joke from a parody pedal description.
benecol

Post by benecol »

It's a parody of a genuine pedal description, that became the title of an effects pedal forum.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

What pedal was described as having haunting mids?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I don't like that forum, they didn't "get" the whole ShortScaleGearDemos thing. Comments I got included "Demo more expensive stuff, who cares about cheap pedals" and "Stop talking"
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Cunting Flids, more like.
benecol

Post by benecol »

Can be pretty harsh over there sometimes, and what they look for in a demo is pretty different to what we look for in a demo, but there are some good and clever people there too. I've never known them to be too snobby about pedals, either, definitely not The Gear Page. The name came from this pedal description.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

You're either with us or against us. I don't want a checklist of things I should and shouldn't do in a demo, how about we have some fucking fun and rock out?
benecol

Post by benecol »

Mike wrote:...how about we have some fucking fun and rock out?
In my mind, you're saying this in the voice of a German exchange student. Needs a "Ja?" on the end.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Mikkel wrote:Why don'ts we having fucking funs and rocking it out, ja??
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

OK, that's going to be stuck in my head when I come to demo these new pedals.
SpectralJulian

Post by SpectralJulian »

jcyphe wrote:
Mike wrote:A picture says a thousand words. I think these look great, EHX are giving people what they want.

Not me, I think the company however from a focus and product standpoint is firing on all pistons. They really seem to be listening to what people on the net are saying. I personally like fuzz pedals and big goofy modulation boxes that make weird noises and they seem to be moving away from that, all the fuzzes are too modern sounding or metal. I'd like to see them go backwards with the fuzz pedals not forward.

I used to be a big ehx whore now I'm lukewarm but happy for the company releasing so much stuff even if it's not my thing.
I think the Tone Wicker sounds pretty old school. It can get really nasty sounding. Also I haven't played the Germanium OD but it sounds right out of the 60s. The Little Big Muff does sound modern, but in a good way IMO. Very 90's American indie. As for crazy modulation, they haven't stopped making the flanger hoax or the polychorus AFAIK. And FWIW, the memory Boy has a switch for square wave modulation, and apparently in expression mode you can control the speed. Turn the delay down and I bet you can get some rad chorus and vibrato sounds. I'm really excited for it. I think I'll be buying one sometime this year. If it can give me analog delay/chorus/vibrato and give me some weird noises that I can control with the expression pedal (which some of the time is more useful to me) it will be awesome.
Mike wrote:I don't like that forum, they didn't "get" the whole ShortScaleGearDemos thing. Comments I got included "Demo more expensive stuff, who cares about cheap pedals" and "Stop talking"
There are a few dipshits and douchebags there, but for the most part I think Haunting Mids is good people. They're definitely more levelheaded than the HCFX or TGP crowds.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

SpectralJulian wrote:
I think the Tone Wicker sounds pretty old school.

I haven't played this one myself but all the clips were awful.
SpectralJulian wrote:
It can get really nasty sounding. Also I haven't played the Germanium OD but it sounds right out of the 60s.

This one is awesome if not pricey. I stay looking for used ones.
SpectralJulian

Post by SpectralJulian »

Clips don't do the tone wicker justice. The Tone Factor ones are pretty blah.
In person it's mean, ugly, nasty, noisy, and really versatile. It's not superfuzz noisy, but it does bring the punk and garage.

They were initially overpriced, but now they're 90 bucks, which I think isn't too bad for what you're getting. It's been on my radar for awhile. I'm wondering how it stacks with other pedals.
benecol

Post by benecol »

Well lookie here UK kids - Gear4Music have got them on pre-order for £79, as opposed to the £130-odd elsewhere.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

That's amazing, the Memory Toy will be even cheaper it seems.

I'm actually pretty tempted at that price. 9V and all so no adaptor and all that jazz.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Ditto, i've been looking into getting a new delay for a while now.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED