shortscale love for acoustic guitars?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

George

Post by George »

Alas it is dezb who lives in Glasgow. My local doesn't stock them so I might hightail to Dawsons in Reading to have a play.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

sonicboom wrote:
dezb1 wrote:
sonicboom wrote: I had the natural finish one for about five years until I gave it to my son. Absolutely brilliant guitar for the money.
Looks like I've just found my next guitar
George, go to Merchant City Music and buy one tomorrow.
I urge everyone NOT to buy anything from Merchant city music, as they are most un-helpful, and on one ccasion when my wife was trying to buy me a bass as a surprise for my birthday down right rude.
XY
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

Ah, my mistake George. Confused.
Dezb, I'm surprised - I've always found the people at MCM helpful and reasonable. Well, that's where I got my V300 anyway.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I've not had that many dealings with them, and since the time they upset my wife I've had no time for them at all.
XY
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

have a Kay hummingbird copy. probably play it more than any of my electrics. looking for a smaller acoustic that's more like my busted harmony parlor guitar.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

I play acoustics 10x more than I play electric. Currently I have a Takamine 3f340scn which is a satin finished cedar topped dread with cutaway/electronics as well as a Great Divide songsmith which is a bit smaller (concert size) acoustic with cutaway and electronics. The takamine is my go to hands down. I use the Great Divide as a back up at gigs or for an occasional alt tuned song. Eventually I want to get a mahogany martin cutaway w/electonics and a decent 12 string (maybe one of hte old martin lawsuit takamines) and put a pick up in it....
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

Fair bit of love for the acoustic cutaway too here - I dunno, maybe I'm a bit set in me ways, but I've never been drawn to the shape. I just kind of like the uh...fuller figure.
Access to the upper frets maybe...altho that's not a place visited that regularly, not by me. My Crafter (the one at the top of the thread) is 12 to body too - I guess 14 to body + cutaway gives pretty good reach if you do go up there.
Are they built differently - bracing and so on?
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

it's all just playability. I don't even play lead and it is still more comfortable to play a cutaway. You loose a tiny bit of tone I think (nothing that a good PA nd EQ does not account for though), but to me it just makes it easier to play.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

With classical I think you really need the cutaway - otherwise the french heel on the neck has you running aground at the 10th fret. Unless you're sticking strictly to only the oldest guitar pieces, it's a must.

On steel string I never found it as crucial - most SSs don't have much response that high up the neck anyway.
Tweedhead

Post by Tweedhead »

My friend's 1957 (ish) Airline acoustic.
26 inch string length, brass frets, faux-flame maple on the sides and the back of the neck. Sounds like the gypsy jazz acoustic guitars of old'n times. Soon it will have a self-wound electric pick-up and a tobacco tortoise floating pickguard.