fretman's mustang build

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

i love the color on this.
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

dodgedartdave wrote:
theshadowofseattle wrote:
dodgedartdave wrote: Ya always gotta take the stem outa somebody's sails, don't ya. it should intonate fine. They're not that much slanted. I have trust in Thad....
I wasn't being a negative nancy. I just had my SGuar in my lap and noticed that the bridge is slanted on it.
How much? What degree? Can ya give us a page on that?
Are you being a salty twat or being serious?
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

it'll intonate fine. Measurements were done to and from both sides of the bridge.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

~(bravo)
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Aug wrote:it'll intonate fine. Measurements were done to and from both sides of the bridge.
How can you be sure? Just because the distance is identical doesn't mean it'll intonate. Thicker strings need more distance from the nut to intonate, that's why the bridge is slanted. I slanted my Mustang bridge in the posts to create the angle to intonate the Jag-Stang correctly.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I have always wondered why some TOMs were slanted. I mean, I understood why thy did it, but not why it was not done consistently across the board.

I am considering one of these movable jobbies on the Tele so I can have some flexibility (and until I get used to having the Bigsby). I have one on my mandolin and thought it annoying that it wasn't fixed in place--until I realized that was how it was intonated, and now I like the idea of one, even though it is more delicate. I can actually move it slightly with the strings in place.

Yell Like Hell
weijie

Post by weijie »

I've got a TOM on one of my Mustang-ish guitars, and it works great. :) How close is this to completion Aug? You're not doing the electronics and stuff right?
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Actually, I think all I have to do now is make the pickguard and ship it. fretman, is that right?

And, yes...a ToM in the standard bridge position will intonate fine.

Man! Youse guys have little faith in me...it's disturbing. :x
fretman

Post by fretman »

Aug wrote:Actually, I think all I have to do now is make the pickguard and ship it. fretman, is that right?
That sounds right. I'll update the thread with pics as she progresses.
Aug wrote:And, yes...a ToM in the standard bridge position will intonate fine. Man! Youse guys have little faith in me...it's disturbing. :x
Never doubted you for a minute, Aug - I'm sure it's gonna ROCK! ((rawk))
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

DGNR8 wrote: Image
btw, those are really good bridges. I put one on a kay jumbo archtop one time. Sounded amazing. The aluminium gave it a great tone.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

That's good to know. Thanks, man. They weird me out, but most bridges are kinda klugey anyway. They are still evolving.
Yell Like Hell
fretman

Post by fretman »

Aug wrote: Image
For some reason, the view out this window makes me wanna move to California.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

the view from a 3rd story balcony, through chicken wire, from a jewish building overlooking the worst part of the valley turns you on?

Yea...whatever.

LOLZ! :lol:
fretman

Post by fretman »

Aug wrote:the view from a 3rd story balcony, through chicken wire, from a jewish building overlooking the worst part of the valley turns you on? Yea...whatever.LOLZ!
Yeah - it has nothing to do with the actual view. It's just knowing that it's in California, that makes me wanna move there. Cuz I'm SICK of NYC winters (and summers), though right now it's mighty nice here, I must say...