1978 Fiesta Red Musicmaster Project(Pics/Video pg7)

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

What kind of pickup should I put in my Musicmaster?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Vintage Musicmaster pickup
50%
Lindy Fralin Mustang Pickup
40%
65 Mustang Reissue neck pickup
10%

Total votes: 10
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:omg i'm on fucking pins and needles right now to see this build happen
+100 On that. I saw you quoting me on your Musicmaster Bass project thread. That is a cool project as well. I saw a Bronco bass for on CL for $90 today that made me think about it.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

If you have any neck restoration tips, I am all ears. Especially on how to fill that missing black dot on the side of the neck. Photos will come later.

[youtube][/youtube]
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Here are more mockup and neck photos. The neck is a mess but should be fine after so TLC. I don't think it's as chunky as the normal 78' neck like Haze has. I wonder when in the 1970s they started making the chunkier necks? I think I am going to have to dremel out the holes because the 70's F tuner base shaft won't go through.
► Show Spoiler
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

that looks really cool. i'd probably just clean that neck up and slap it on.

nice project as i can already envision how bad ass it will be.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Haze

Post by Haze »

Just clean it up, take some #0000 steel wool to the frets and rock. Don't bother with oiling the fretboard because it has some clear wax shit on it
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I am not sure exactly what the previous owner was planning on doing with this, but it looks like a refinish gone bad. The neck feels like a Squier Bullet Strat neck or unfinished Allparts neck., very pail and dry. Besides the aged finish on the front of the headstock, it has all been sanded off. It looks like he/she left tape over the decal and part of it didn't come off. I like a worn neck, but this one needs some clear on the back.

My plan is to try to sand the tape off the decal very gently and leave the front of the headstock in it's current aged state. I think I need to dremel the holes slightly to get the tuners in. I may leave the vintage bushing in to not disturb the aged look.

I have a little bit of nitro clear left from the Baja I could put on the back of the neck to give it a little slickness and reduce the dry feel. Do you think trying to age the back of the neck to match the front of the neck with tinted clearcoat would be a bad idea?

hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

i wouldn't sand the tape off. i'd try an adhesive removal, first.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is I got all the old tape off the headstock and it looks great. I also dremeled the holes out so the tuners fit properly and knocked some surface rust off the outside of the vintage bushings.

The bad news is when I turned the neck over part of the nut broke off. Can I super glue the nut back in? (I hope the answer is yes)
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

that thing looks busted. i'd probably get another one made for it once you get it all ready to go. you'd be fine to super glue it in for the time being.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I don't want to use it long term with a broken nut, but I don't to put off getting to play it. Once I get it up and running, I can get a bone nut and fix any other issues with the neck.

I couldn't help myself so I grabbed 2 bridge screws, 4 pickguard screws and the F neck plate and bolted it all up. Look Fiesta Hot! The Haze harness can't get here fast enough for me!

Haze

Post by Haze »

Just watched the video. That neck is a little rough but you've taken care of most of it. My suggestion for the back of the neck would be Tru Oil. Most gun or sporting good places will have it because its used to treat the stock. Its almost a wax after its rubbed in but if you lighly polish it it will be smoooooth while treating the wood and adding a bit of tint. Theres lots of threads on it over at the Reranch forums. Not sure if Nitro will be a good idea because if the previous owner put anything poly on it the Nitro will get eaten up over time and looks naaasty and potentially harmful to the wood.

I'm not sure if you're trying to make it look like a "new" guitar or not but that wear on the neck looks guuuuud. Harness will be there by monday, hell, maybe tomorrow since its only going from OK to TX
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I remember you putting true oil on your Jazzmaster neck I think. I will try that first. I don't want to spray the neck, it was just left in such a raw state . I forgot they would have probably switched to poly by then and I definitely don't want to mix poly and nitro. I want this guitar to be vintage, just trying to fix the problems. I love the aged headstock especially after getting the tape off.

Speaking of problems, any idea what to do about the black dots? I am not necessarily wanting to replace the missing one, but at least one or two of the other dots are sticking out and its kinda sharp. Can I tap them back in?
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I'd consider seeing how secure they are and if they aren't at all loose sanding them flat.
Shabba.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Haze, is this the Tru-oil you used? Completely unrelated question to my project....Can you clearcoat over tru-oil?

Last edited by taylornutt on Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

James wrote:I'd consider seeing how secure they are and if they aren't at all loose sanding them flat.
I am concerned they could be loose considering one already came out. When the previous owner sanded the neck it must have exposed them or loosened them.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

you need to get on offset and find the thread that workoffire did where he revisited the motorik v.1 or whatever. he just drilled through some black dots to put glue on a rattling truss rod, and then made it look like new.

srsly, go find it. it's still on page 1 of their mod/projects section, probably.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Haze wrote:Just watched the video. That neck is a little rough but you've taken care of most of it. My suggestion for the back of the neck would be Tru Oil. Most gun or sporting good places will have it because its used to treat the stock. Its almost a wax after its rubbed in but if you lighly polish it it will be smoooooth while treating the wood and adding a bit of tint. Theres lots of threads on it over at the Reranch forums. Not sure if Nitro will be a good idea because if the previous owner put anything poly on it the Nitro will get eaten up over time and looks naaasty and potentially harmful to the wood.

I'm not sure if you're trying to make it look like a "new" guitar or not but that wear on the neck looks guuuuud. Harness will be there by monday, hell, maybe tomorrow since its only going from OK to TX

Guess what came in the mail today from OK? YESSSSSSSSSSSS! The Haze custom harness!( along with white knobs and a Reese's Fast Break)

There will be rock tonight!!!
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:you need to get on offset and find the thread that workoffire did where he revisited the motorik v.1 or whatever. he just drilled through some black dots to put glue on a rattling truss rod, and then made it look like new.

srsly, go find it. it's still on page 1 of their mod/projects section, probably.
That was helpful. Thanks. I think I will mask the dots and sand them down.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

heck yes.
Haze

Post by Haze »

Haven't used tru-oil on any of my necks. The Jazzmaster neck got tinted nitro. I use Lem-Oil on my fretboards all the time though.
GET. THAT. MONEY.