shortscale photography thread.

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Very nice! I've yet to try my T70 but I might have to now. I haven't shot film since I got the X-Pro1, mostly because the places I've been taking pictures are far too dimly lit for ISO 800 film, and I feel like pushing consumer-grade film would be a waste. But I might go looking for some interesting daytime shots this weekend.

I just loaded some Kodak BWCN400 B&W film into my A-1 though. Anyone used that? It's a C-41 film, which is odd, but it says "professional" on the label so it can't be all bad, right? :lol: I think it was $4 for a roll of 24 in my local grocery store, which is about half as much as T-MAX.
Last edited by Dillon on Mon May 06, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

the T70 looks cool. I'm interested in whether it has the same balance of simplicity and function that the T50 has. it's funny because the T50 gets totally no love on these internets but it really is a fantastic camera.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

I loaded a roll of Kodak Ultramax / Gold 400 in it just to see if it works. It does, and I'm having fun shooting with it. Unfortunately I managed to open to film cover after loading it and it advanced it three more frames automatically when I closed to cover again (as that's what it does when it thinks new film has been loaded). So, first three frames are wasted, but it's cheap film anyway. The program modes are very simple to use, you can put it in auto mode and shoot to your heart's content. The fact that it has spot metering is nice, and the extra programs (wide and tele) are useful. Wide tends to choose smaller apertures, whereas tele generally chooses the widest aperture possible, so that it can get a faster shutter speed. And the manual mode isn't too bad to use...though you have to look at the display on top for pretty much any change. I'll never understand why Canon decided not to display the shutter speed in the viewfinder though, as these are shutter speed priority cameras after all.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

A few images I just took...

Notice all the people on the insanely high swing thing/ride they just put up in town. Higher than the buildings in the foreground and the 5-storey car park I was on top of. I might go on it. Here's a view of it from the ground (not my pic):
► Show Spoiler

Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Wow, nice detail in those, was that with the X100? In Las Vegas, there's a ride that hangs you over the edge of the Stratosphere, a nearly 1200 ft. tall tower :shock: (That's about 365m)

I went to see Joe Walsh and Bob Seger this week, hah. The venue lets you bring in cameras that don't have a 200mm or longer lens. So I took the X-Pro1 with a couple FD lenses.

I love the "vintage-y" look of these FD lenses. The colors from these pictures in particular remind me of something you'd see in an old magazine. The first one was taken with a 28mm f/2.8 (42mm equivalent), just to show the view from where we were (not quite nosebleed seats but almost), and how ridiculously full the stadium was. The rest were taken with a 135mm f/3.5 and cropped. It's amazing to me that these guys are still selling out stadiums this big!

DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Dillon wrote:Wow, nice detail in those, was that with the X100? In Las Vegas, there's a ride that hangs you over the edge of the Stratosphere, a nearly 1200 ft. tall tower :shock: (That's about 365m)
Yep, X100. At ISO 1600 as well.
I've seen that, looks amazing. I would quite like to do the edge walk on the top of the CN tower.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

Dillon wrote:I just loaded some Kodak BWCN400 B&W film into my A-1 though. Anyone used that? It's a C-41 film, which is odd, but it says "professional" on the label so it can't be all bad, right? :lol: I think it was $4 for a roll of 24 in my local grocery store, which is about half as much as T-MAX.
I have used a roll of the Kodak BWCN400 but it was very expired so I'm afraid I can't give much opinion about it. but as for C-41 processed B&W film I've used Ilford XP2 and really liked it. It's really sharp and I can develop it with my C-41 chemicals. they say the C-41 process B&W films have little to no grain, that's the major difference when compared to regular B&W.

I want to try some Fuji Neopan.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Some of my favorites from a 'mother and bump' shoot I did with the mrs today.
I experimented with shooting 3 stops overexposed for an effect I came across while shooting last week(a mistake)..didn't work the same this time round but I still like it. Think I needed a couple more stops to get the same effect I got on this picture.

anyway here are the pictures

All kodak tri-x with the bronica etrsi(the first cafe picture is my empire junior)
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

I like those! Do you shoot medium format often? In that first picture it looks a lot like what I've seen of expired film, maybe you could pick some up for cheap and try that? Also I've read that Tri-X has a huge latitude for exposure variances so if you're after that sort of look, so maybe try something cheaper?
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Dillon wrote:I like those! Do you shoot medium format often? In that first picture it looks a lot like what I've seen of expired film, maybe you could pick some up for cheap and try that? Also I've read that Tri-X has a huge latitude for exposure variances so if you're after that sort of look, so maybe try something cheaper?
Thanks!
Apart from a little bit of 35mm I pretty much shoot 120 exclusively.
With expired film you tend to lose the box speed, so say if you have 400 iso film that is a few years out of date it may actually be more like 320 or slower. So a lot of expired film ''look'' is actually just people getting the exposure wrong because they are treating the film like it is brand new. (although that is with black and white film much weirder colour shifts happen with expired c41 or E6 film)
Anyway the first picture is tri-x from the same (in date) box as the bump pictures.
I have shot with expired film before although it is fun, it is so unpredictable it can be a bit hard to get what you want from it.
I will be trying some of the cheaper(lucky chinese stuff) film as I can't really afford to keep buying tri-x at the moment.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

Hurb wrote:With expired film you tend to lose the box speed, so say if you have 400 iso film that is a few years out of date it may actually be more like 320 or slower. So a lot of expired film ''look'' is actually just people getting the exposure wrong because they are treating the film like it is brand new.
my theory is that because expired film is more dried out the developer can't work as effectively. it just can't sink into the emulsion very well. basically you are always pull processing to a certain degree. so overexposing expired film and then processing normally is a lot like overexposing good film and then pull processing.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

I shot a roll of kodak gold 200 redscaled (I flipped the roll over). some interesting results:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25902022@N ... 872107726/

here's a great post on how to make your own redscale film: http://www.flickr.com/groups/redscale/d ... 376745895/
obviously it involves flipping the film over in the dark but this thread contains some helpful ideas for making it really easy.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

look at this picture:

so many things happening, not really entirely sure what's happening, how did he take this picture...
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Mages wrote:I shot a roll of kodak gold 200 redscaled (I flipped the roll over). some interesting results:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25902022@N ... 872107726/

here's a great post on how to make your own redscale film: http://www.flickr.com/groups/redscale/d ... 376745895/
obviously it involves flipping the film over in the dark but this thread contains some helpful ideas for making it really easy.
These are seriously amazing.. will look into this redscale stuff. the pictures are strong by themselves but the redscale does add something extra.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I like them. Some red scale stuff just looks slightly oddly coloured, like the effect hasn't come off proper, but that looks great.

Anyone ever shot Kodak Ektar? I decided to spoil myself and get some for an upcoming trip to Paris, but I'm a wee bit worried that it's only rated at 100 ISO. I'm wondering how pushable it is? I can't find too much about it googling about the place. Hoping for sunny weather in Paris, I suppose.

I have a few rolls of HP5 too, which I know will be pushed to whatever I need it to.
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

Hurb, I love this one:
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Woah, I love those redscale shots. What happened with the one of the buildings? If I ever get a changing bag I'll try it. Though maybe it'd be easier to just do it in a closet? :lol: Coming straight from digital photography, the idea of a dark room is so foreign to me. How can you do anything if you can't see?
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

oh ok, thanks guys! =]

yeah, I'd like to get a changing bag as well. what you can do though is find a dark room or closet yeah, and go under a heavy blanket so it's absolutely pitch black and then do everything you need to do. that's what I do. and yeah everything is by touch because you can't see anything. although not all darkroom activities need be done this way, for B&W development a lot of it you can do by safelight, which is just a very dim red light. I don't have access to a darkroom though.

all the pictures were taken on a Nikon FE. the first two pictures are two stops overexposed with a blue 80A filter. the middle one is a double exposure. the last two are three stops overexposed. it's almost impossible to overexpose redscale, it just keeps letting in more colors as you expose it more.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Setting off for Reykjavik early tomorrow morning. Taking my X100 and Olympus OM1 with some cheap color and black and white film.
Should be fun. Going to shoot mostly digital but will take the OM1 with me when I head out to the countryside I think. It's just exciting to be going somewhere new.

DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

This morning I was in Reykjavik, now I'm back in Manchester.

Reykjavik is a great little City. Recommend it to everyone. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great when I was there... grey most of the time and a bit of rain too. Booo. Typically it was clear blue skies and sun this morning, as I got on the plane to fly home. HA.

With the weather as it was I didn't bother carrying the film camera around in the end, just shot photos on my X100. Most of the stuff I took was touristy stuff to remember the trip. Here are a few more arty ones though:
► Show Spoiler
It's a great city for photos. Would be amazing in the Summer.