speaker sims with AUG (raphicEQ)

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

filtercap

speaker sims with AUG (raphicEQ)

Post by filtercap »

After mumbling about recording ampless with Garageband amp simulators a while ago, I thought I'd try something different.... Use a pedal as the amp and set up the AUGraphicEQ plugin to shape the sound the way a speaker might.

I looked up the frequency response curves for a couple Eminence speakers: the 10-inch Copperhead (my favorite) and the 12-inch Man-O-War. Here are the spec sheets for the Copperhead and Man-O-War in Acrobat (PDF) format, including graphs of each speaker's response curve.

I chose the 90dB line on each chart to equal the 0dB (center) line on the EQ. For each frequency band on the EQ plugin, I looked up a corresponding point on the speaker's response curve and estimated how many dB above or below 90dB it was. Then I set the EQ slider at that number (plus 7, minus 10, whatever). When I was done, I saved my EQ curve as a pre-set.

Here's what I ended up with.

Eminence Copperhead 10:

Eminence Man-O-War 12:

In my opinion, these make a direct-in guitar sound a lot more like it was played through amp speakers, especially in the highs and upper mids. Here's a clip of a repeating guitar line. I played it through an overdrive pedal that's based on a vintage amp circuit. I figured that'll filter the guitar's tone a bit the way an amp would. The first time through is recorded with no EQ at all (EQ flat in other words). When you hear the tone change obviously, that's the Copperhead EQ. The last time through is the Man-O-War EQ.

The drums are my Carmine Appice Simulator, which I don't want to talk about.

:arrow: Smack here for rawk pellet.

Guitar = Rewired early-90's Stratocaster - Fender "Texas Special" single-coil pickups - I'm playing the modified bridge pickup plus a little bit of neck p.u. mixed in with a blender knob.
Stompy = Runoffgroove "Eighteen" overdrive - tone and drive turned up about three-fourths of the way. This is basically playing the part of the Amp while the EQ does the Speakers.
Interface = PreSonus Firepod.

[edit -- the pictures were lost in a server change long ago -- i've finally re-posted them]
Last edited by filtercap on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

This is so awesome. Did you do a DI sample aswell?

A before and after speaker emulation would be great - without drums and that, just with a chord strummed would be ace.

I have to say that is a really great sound yuo're getting there, very 1978x if you know what I mean. Kudos!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Sorry, I'm an idiot. Good stuff. Just read your thread properly.

Do a Greenback, Vintage30 and a G12T-75 from the Celestion site now pllleeeease?

Doesn't sound too bad DI'd though does it?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Your Eighteen stompbox sounds way better than most stuff does DI, I think I actually prefered the first sound.

But awesome bit of research, dude.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Doog wrote:I take it it's got an amp sim in there as well? DI'd pedals generally always sound horrible, and that first sample didn't sound bad at all.
I think the whole point was he was removing all amp simulation and adding his own. So the first sample is direct I think, and it sounds damn good! Actually probably my favourite - I'm not a real eminence fan, hence the Celestion request.

Probably because it's a properly tone stacked overdrive rather than a distortion or one knob pedal.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Andy stop editting you dickface.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

((run)) ((run)) ((run)) ((run)) ((run)) ((run))
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit