delay

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

ICEYBOMB

Do you remember if it self-oscilated or not?
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

You can get neverending delay on feedback max in any of the modes if that's what you mean? The DD-6, DD-5 and DD-20 don't self oscillate like an analogue delay can.. like a DMM..
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Mike wrote:Nice video dude! Good sondz! I want your basement you lucky bastard
yeah, it's a great space to jam in. what's funny is we're playing the smallest part of the garage (my uncle's shit is in the largest part of, prolly twice as big).

anyhoo, i jammed with the drummer last night, and i was really impressed with the versatility of the dd6. i've never used a tap or hold (i think the gt6 did that stuff, but i couldn't be arsed) so there's a learning curve i'm getting used to. i could see myself using just the straight delay and maybe the reverse mainly, though.

the fish 'n chips was a known quantity as i'd already owned a couple. it's an absolutely unbeatable eq at its price or even 3 times that. quiet, powerful, compact, unique. . . i love dano's! since junkbox bought the bassman, i'm thinking of resurrecting the prosonic as a backup using the fish 'n chips. my complaints were lack of low end and slightly brittle, less-than sparkling cleans. stay tuned. . .

EDIT: success! the extra bass from the f&s got the prosonic singing full and loud. i'm really digging it in class A mode even though it's only 30watts. the 50watt a/b mode is noticeably louder, but the clean doesn't seem to have the headroom. in any event, this will make a great backup as even if its tubes blow, it's got a solid-state mode @ 60watts.
Lanark

Post by Lanark »

It's not exactly feature rich, but when I finally got a delay pedal six months or so ago I went with the Guyatone Tube Echo.
I'm not much of one for all kinds of bells and whistles and new fangled techno-hoo-ha'sand reversilizing diddly bops. I just wanted something that when I played "bleh" went "bleh-bleh-bleh-bleh..." right back and sounded good doing it.

The Tube Echo is the digital guts of the MD-3 that gets warmed up by running it through a 12ax7. Ends up with a fairly warm sounding echo effect without the noisy persnickety nonsense of an actual Echoplex. (and I've got one of those and yes, it's not currently working. again.)
The biggest problem I've had with it was finding the right tube to replace the stock Sovtek 12ax7lps which ran much too hot. (The echo overpowered the original signal past 2) I eventually found an old EH one in a drawer that works great.

I like that it can self oscillate and has a "tape mode" knob for rolling off the high end and an "analog" which seems to drive the signal more or less through the tube. The best or maybe most interesting thing you can do with that as you dial that up the echo distorts more and more. You can have a clean signal with an overdriven echo. Could be used to interesting effect someplace...

And seeing as I use it for a little echo in one part of one song and then some slapback in another, it's just about all I really need until the bass player and I can convince the other two that we really do need to play a 40 minute "Astronomy Dominie" as an entire gig....
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Awesome post. Can you make a sample of that? It sounds great.
You're becoming my favourite new poster, nice guitars,an interest in pedals and amps and you're verbose to boot!
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Lanark wrote:The biggest problem I've had with it was finding the right tube to replace the stock Sovtek 12ax7lps which ran much too hot. (The echo overpowered the original signal past 2) I eventually found an old EH one in a drawer that works great.
you could also try 12au7, 12ay7, and 12at7 couldn't you? they're lower wattage and are interchangeable from what i understand.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

dots wrote:
Lanark wrote:The biggest problem I've had with it was finding the right tube to replace the stock Sovtek 12ax7lps which ran much too hot. (The echo overpowered the original signal past 2) I eventually found an old EH one in a drawer that works great.
you could also try 12au7, 12ay7, and 12at7 couldn't you? they're lower wattage and are interchangeable from what i understand.
Yup.

I'd go for a 12DW7 first though, that's half 12AX7 and half 12AU7 (one triode of each) and so won't be a huge drop in gain... plus it's a great tube. Get a JJ Tesla version.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

good call!
Lanark

Post by Lanark »

dots wrote: you could also try 12au7, 12ay7, and 12at7 couldn't you? they're lower wattage and are interchangeable from what i understand.
I actually did get an 12AT7 (I think) and it didn't really do the trick. Still too much gain.
But it sounds pretty sweet in the Mesa V-Twin preamp so it wasn't a total loss. (I don't use it for distortion, just to broaden and warm my overall tone.)
I did a ton of reading up on tubes and stuff and asked around to everybody I knew and it still came down to me sitting down with the box of misc. preamp tubes and swapping them out until I hit paydirt. It's just fine now and it's really cool little pedal.

and I've redone a couple amps in the last year with the JJ's. They totally rock. The Traynor just screams...

And thanks for the kind words, Mike.
I'm just having fun being able to talk about stuff that makes even my bandmates' eyes just glaze over. Give me time and I'll have you totally alienated and wishing hurt upon me.

But before that I'll still have to post some pictures of my current set up. I'm really happy with it.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Lanark wrote:And thanks for the kind words, Mike.
I'm just having fun being able to talk about stuff that makes even my bandmates' eyes just glaze over. Give me time and I'll have you totally alienated and wishing hurt upon me.

But before that I'll still have to post some pictures of my current set up. I'm really happy with it.
Never. We're like a support group for gear loving band members. Save all that stuff and lay it on us. We'll lap it up like guitar obsessed Kittens.