Dave and Aug

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Dave and Aug

Post by Mo Law-ka »

Where do you guys get your guitar body wood? Have you tried making an acoustic yet? Also, what are the dimensions for the body blanks? What type of tools do you need to cut a body? Once i get a job, iam going to try to make some guitars of my own. any suggestions for the beginner?
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

For the wood, we've been using Poplar and we get it at the local lumber yard.

No, we havn't made an acoustic yet. We are interested in that eventually. For now, it's gonna be just solid bodies. We're also interested in making necks, but that is a ways off at this point.

I'll let Aug answer the rest........
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

so you're basically the poster boy for the company? :lol:
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

God bless us all, every one.

He's Aug's manager. He keeps him out of the gutter. Is poplar like ash? How would you describe it? I need to but some blanks.
Last edited by DGNR8 on Tue May 29, 2007 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yell Like Hell
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

Mo Rocca wrote:so you're basically the poster boy for the company? :lol:
I guess you can say that. I'm really just too lazy to answer and I have to go to work.
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

i was thinking of getting something like this:

is your wood cheaper than that?
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Mo Rocca wrote:i was thinking of getting something like this:

is your wood cheaper than that?
way cheaper.

1 3/4" x 10" x 20"
1 3/4" x 6" x 20"

glue and clamp them together and you have a guitar body blank for about $20.
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

aug: tr00 or false: guitar specific stores jack up prices on wood.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

also, to be perfectly realistic, you'll need to get these basic tools:

jigsaw/blades (bandsaw would be better)

electric planer (to take the wood from 1 3/4" to 1 1/2")

palm sander

1/2" router with table (the bigger the better...I prefer Freud's FR2000E)

various 2 flute router bits with various guide bearing positions

round over bit

-that stuff should get you started...but, be prepared to spend upwards of $1000 for the starter tools.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Mo Rocca wrote:aug: tr00 or false: guitar specific stores jack up prices on wood.
tr00 *and* false.

Almost no one needs wood at 1 3/4" thick at more than 12", and almost no one cuts wood that thick/wide. Supply and demand. That's why I glue my blanks together.

However, for the "tr00" part, StewMac used to sell the poplar blank (1 piece) for $89...after tax and shipping, you'd end up spending $100+.
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

Aug wrote:also, to be perfectly realistic, you'll need to get these basic tools:

palm sander

round over bit

-that stuff should get you started...but, be prepared to spend upwards of $1000 for the starter tools.
For starters, you necessarily have to have a router table
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

dodgedartdave wrote:
Aug wrote:also, to be perfectly realistic, you'll need to get these basic tools:

palm sander

round over bit

For starters, you necessarily have to have a router table
Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

I suppose, someone who is creative enough, *could* make a solid body guitar body using ONLY a router...but, it would be quite a bit of work...especially for the router.
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

I guess I messed up what I was going to say. I tring to say that it's Not Necessary to have a router table. I've done it before, years ago. I was making a tele body and I just used a 1/4 round bit, clamped the body down and ran it around the edge. You have to be careful cause it's easy to tip over.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

dodgedartdave wrote:I guess I messed up what I was going to say. I tring to say that it's Not Necessary to have a router table. I've done it before, years ago. I was making a tele body and I just used a 1/4 round bit, clamped the body down and ran it around the edge. You have to be careful cause it's easy to tip over.
aaaahhh...I think I'd prefer to send him in a direction that will help him to do less work and enable him to build quality bodies. Know what I mean, Vern?
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

Aug wrote:
dodgedartdave wrote:I guess I messed up what I was going to say. I tring to say that it's Not Necessary to have a router table. I've done it before, years ago. I was making a tele body and I just used a 1/4 round bit, clamped the body down and ran it around the edge. You have to be careful cause it's easy to tip over.
aaaahhh...I think I'd prefer to send him in a direction that will help him to do less work and enable him to build quality bodies. Know what I mean, Vern?
Ya, I do. But also I think that it's important to make do with what ya got. I was making bodies long before I knew what a router table was. I remember the first time I saw a router table, I was like, "You can do that? That's genius!".

Have you done a wiki thread yet about guitar body making from start to finish yet? I Know that you were thinking about that. Maybe you should make an Aug How to Video.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

dodgedartdave wrote:
Aug wrote:
Ya, I do. But also I think that it's important to make do with what ya got. I was making bodies long before I knew what a router table was. I remember the first time I saw a router table, I was like, "You can do that? That's genius!".

Have you done a wiki thread yet about guitar body making from start to finish yet? I Know that you were thinking about that. Maybe you should make an Aug How to Video.
I keep forgetting to do the wiki...maybe on the next build, you could hang out and take tons of pics...

As for the video, I did ask Jake to film it, and he said he would, but he's a busy boy...soon, though.
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

My wood of choice is alder. It sands like a dream <3 And it smells like popcorn when its burning :lol:
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

roachello wrote:My wood of choice is alder. It sands like a dream <3 And it smells like popcorn when its burning :lol:
Sounds delicious. I've never worked with Alder.

I like poplar to work with, smamp ash for looks and mahogany for tone. Maybe I should make a guitar out of all 3. hummmmmm
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

dodgedartdave wrote:
roachello wrote:My wood of choice is alder. It sands like a dream <3 And it smells like popcorn when its burning :lol:
Sounds delicious. I've never worked with Alder.

I like poplar to work with, smamp ash for looks and mahogany for tone. Maybe I should make a guitar out of all 3. hummmmmm
Maybe you should just shut the hell up! :x

:lol:

dave: The swinger and the Mustang bodies are DONE!
Chico Malo
Sushi Monster

Post by Chico Malo »

Aug & Dave ~ I want to order a jazz body that fits a 72 Jazz neck. I can let you know what pick ups and junk I'm gonna use.
If you need a shitty friend, I'm here for you.