epi or save up for a gibby

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

you would..

say 'fuck it', imma ordering the faded brown epi
40%
be a bit more patient and get the gibson special in faded brown later this year if it's still available
25%
be a bit more patient and get the standard gibson sg (more of a 'classic' sg sound)
35%

Total votes: 20
kim
[='±'=]

epi or save up for a gibby

Post by kim »

so i really like the faded brown sg's that are out now (limited ?)

the epiphone version is called the vintage g400 or something: grover tuners (bleh), trapezoid inlays (nice)--300-ish

the gibson version is called the sg special: plastic tuners (i dig), dot inlays (prefer trapezoid ones on this model)--800-ish--1000--lefty

so.. what would you do ?
is it really worth spending more on a gibson instead of getting a cheap epiphone straight away ? (can't really justify spending another grand on a new guitar right now)

also..€200 for a lefty version ? blah.. i think it's quite easy to leftify this kind of guitar, no?
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

In all honestly Kim, I think you should go for the forth or fifth choices or Gordon Smith Guitars.

SG: http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/sg-series.htm

About 900 euros

GS2: http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/gs_series.htm

A bit less. Than the SG lot.

You can probably pick them up a little less for that price, and they do lefties at no extra cost. If you can't find a store with any lefties, you can buy direct, but it'll take 3-6 months.
euan
Tweez

Post by Tweez »

I really like my mate's SG Standard, although I'm not keen on the blocks/binding. One of my other friends has an SG Special and he really likes that, I'm not sure of the differences between the two, does it go beyond pickups and neck?

Also, as long as you don't mind where the switch and pots would be, it's a piece of piss to leftify an SG.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Get the epi, change the tuners to the plastic ones you dig, spend the money saved on better pickups...then if you don't like it, you can sell it.
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

I spent a good amount of time playing new epis back to back with new gibsons, and the only difference was tone, some might say the gibsons play better, but I reckon it might just be wanky bullocks, NIN are using epis on their tour

probably just so they can smash them, but they are actally playing them the whole set, so they can't be that bad
http://www.myspace.com/rikkiman
robroe wrote:my guitars are set up to do 2 things.
1. rock the fuck out
2. never go out of tune
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw7_gibson_sgs ... dinfo.html
would look even better with chrome covers

this is the one that made me feel like i 'could' wait 'til my bday this summer or something instead of getting the epiphone version now..i'm not in a rush .. and i think the price is quite alright.

i'm not very fond of the gordon smith sg version to be honest, could be great guitars though, but they cost about the same and if i'd ever sell it again i might lose more money than when i'd be selling a gibson because people are more familiar with that name (same case when it comes to the epiphone), that's also the reason why i feel i shouldn't bother paying extra for a lefty version of the special (more easy to sell a right handed guitar again).

if the gibson specials are not out of stock by august i might get myself a bday present. (i also read that the specials made before 2003 had moon inlays.. cute)

the differences between the standard and specials are not that big (they don't really justify the extra 400 bucks in my opinion).
in fact i heard the necks on the specials are more chunky than the ones on the standard sg's too.. and i don't like very thin necks (again, glad i got rid of the epi les paul).

the standard does come with a hardshell case so that raises the price with 200 too, but then the other 200 for trapezoid inlays, a different gibson humbucker and a more glossy finish.. hm..
Tweez

Post by Tweez »

The headstock on the Standard is inlaid too, it's a decal on the Special. I've never played one, but I'd say go for it.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

If your birthday's this summer then just wait, not long etc. Although, if your heart's not set on the SG completely, I'd have a look at Gordon Smith guitars, as Euan said. They are really nice, my friend's got a double cut GS1 with a coil tap and it is a really good guitar and he loves it.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

the guitar i'm crazy about is way above my budget (gretsch archtop with double cutaway) but i don't have a guitar with humbuckers anymore (in fact i only have one guitar at this moment) so a backup with a different sound is welcome, not 'needed'.

i'm going to wait and see until august
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

heavium wrote:i'm going to wait and see until august
I think that that's the best plan.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

i always change my mind anyway, but it's been almost a year since i bought a new guitar now.. way too long.. hrm.. :wink: :P

and when i saw the stones i wanted a tele, but now i realise humbuckers might be more interesting since it will sound quite different compared to my mustang.
i'm glad i didn't order the epi in a rush, i think i would've regretted it, but a good sg still seems like the best option, i like the feel of the epi sg our guitarist has (neck is a little bit too thin to my taste) but the sound of it is too 'nice' on the dist channel if you know what i mean (even through an all tube head) so if i can find a store over here that has one of those special sg's (right handed of course) atleast i can test it playing single notes (or learn to play chords upside down :? ) before i order one.
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

My friend has a faded sg that i play every once in a while. I'm sort of unimpressed by it. I think epi's are much nicer in looks, finish, and even sound.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

at least its not black.
dots wrote:incesticide
ludger

Post by ludger »

kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

as if i don't know about the electromatics... i'm not even gonna to try to leftify a guitar like that.. impossible, and no.. there's no lefty electromatics.
the whole thing pisses me off.. gretsch bother producing all these crap acoustics with prints and when they make a budget archtop series they forget there's left handed musicians out there.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

I covet a Gretsch and Rickenbacker more than any other guitars. However as Kim knows, it's unlikely to happen anytime soon. Hopefully one day one of us will stumble upon a dream lefty.
euan
ludger

Post by ludger »

heavium wrote:as if i don't know about the electromatics... i'm not even gonna to try to leftify a guitar like that.. impossible, and no.. there's no lefty electromatics.
the whole thing pisses me off.. gretsch bother producing all these crap acoustics with prints and when they make a budget archtop series they forget there's left handed musicians out there.
Oh yeah. The "searching for a lefty" part. Didn't think about that. Sorry.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I guess now is not a good time to say I found a guy on Craigslist selling a righty for $400 the other day. I declined. I have too too many.
Yell Like Hell
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I've played a lot of G400's and have not really liked any of them compared to the Gibsons. They really do play completely different. If you like the way the epiphone feels then I'd say go for that, replace the pickups and tuners and you'd be set. Personally I'd go for the Gibson because I just like the way they feel better, and the fadeds are only $150 more and because I wouldn't feel like I needed to change the pickups or tuners in it.
weijie

Post by weijie »

Although I've never played the Epiphone or Gibson SG your thinking of getting, I've played the Standard SGs for both. The Epiphone SG I played was my very first electric guitar. The Gibson SG I played was my friend's, it was a righty converted to a lefty. I actually preferred the Epiphone one over the Gibson! The pickups were just as good-in my opinion anyway-and the neck was alot more comfortable for me on the Epiphone cos it was thinner. :)