1/4 inch jack on Gibson Dot falling off

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Sunn Zoo

1/4 inch jack on Gibson Dot falling off

Post by Sunn Zoo »

Would this be a good place to ask about this question. If not anyone have a different forum to go to?

Anyway, the 1/4 jack is really loose and I can't figure out a way to hold it still while I tighten the nut. How in the hell does anyone wire these things anyway? There's no back access or anything.

Thanks in advance.
People will do things, its a fact.
Ninja Mike 808 wrote:I wanna hear some Pantera on the Hanna Montana guitar... And then, I wanna see a person comit sepuku with it, just for kicks and all...
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

just grab it with some needle nose pliers and then tighten the nut.
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

bend the tap that holds the jack a bit so that it holds it tighter.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

dodgedartdave wrote:bend the tap that holds the jack a bit so that it holds it tighter.
and use a 1/4" lead to do it, inserted only partially.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

you could also take a hack saw, cut a slit in it, then use a screw driver and a pair of plyers to tighten it.
normally you wire those things us using kite string/fishing wire.
it can be a very long and annoying proccess but with practice it gets easier, you learn tricks adn what not.
brandon.

Post by brandon. »

I have to replace the pickups in a friends dot studio...
does anyone have any tips or tricks on getting it done without going completely crazy?
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

see if you can unsolder the leads directly from the pickups themselves. if they're sealed in epoxy, then you'll have to pull out the whole wiring assembly to replace the pickups.
i think robert (original) and dgnr8 have experience with that.
robert(original)

remove the switch, unsolder the pups. put the new pups in place on the switch
use fishing line on the switch(with the tip on) andthen pull it thru, the rest is easy.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Fishing line? I was using guitars strings. I may have to try that next time. It knots! You can also use multiple pull lines to orchestrate something through a body. Show pics and we can direct you. The good news is that you can't mess it up, really. Everything is retrievable, but it does take patience.
Yell Like Hell
robert(original)

i have used guitar string, guitar string works good cuz you can pull hard and it pulls hard and once you have it thru you can relax it and it relaxes as well.
kite string and fishing like i find are better to navigate thru the guitar itself, guitar string can be sort of rigged and unreliable at times, but i supose it depends on your technique more than anything, i have found that doing it upside down works better.
robert(original)

i have used guitar string, guitar string works good cuz you can pull hard and it pulls hard and once you have it thru you can relax it and it relaxes as well.
kite string and fishing like i find are better to navigate thru the guitar itself, guitar string can be sort of rigged and unreliable at times, but i supose it depends on your technique more than anything, i have found that doing it upside down works better.