OLP bass body/neck joint question/project?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

brandon.

OLP bass body/neck joint question/project?

Post by brandon. »

So I've got an OLP bass body, the kind that copies a music man sting ray.
It was smashed at a show a while ago and I wound up with the body.
The neck snapped in half but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do, I can't find a replacement neck for a body that's cut for a music man style neck.

What should I do?
- Get a neck and make it fit?
- get someone to cut me a new MM style body with a jazz bass neck pocket?
- scrap it?

thanks
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

I'm gonna go with either 1 or 2...

I would also try callin' up OLP and askin' them if they can hook it up. That is, if you're desperate, ya know. Since it's OLP, ya know, Officially Licensed and all, you should be able to find somethin' to fit.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Do this, whatever it is this is. I think the strings would snap the neck 45 feet into the air.

12 string bass
Yell Like Hell
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Dude, I just sold an OLP... I totally meant to swap the neck with my bro's squier jazz bass neck but I never got around to it. But unlike my real Music man stingray, it is a 4 bolt as opposed to a 6 bolt neck, and I'm pretty sure it is the same dimensions as a regular precision bass/jazz bass style neck, so I would assume that a regular neck of that style would fit perfectly fine. I'm not really entirely sure though.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out if my old epiphone p bass copy would intonate properly if I put a 21 fret yamaha bass neck on it, the epiphone one was a 20 fret, so the yamaha is about a half inch longer, but I'm probably gonna work on that on sunday to see if I can get it to work properly.
brandon.

Post by brandon. »

I emailed OLP a while ago about it but got no response...
I found a squire p-bass for $70 and tried the neck out but it wouldnt fit.
I was thinking it might be cool to route the pickguard and body of the p-bass and put in the OLP humbucker,
I haven't seen that done and think it might be cool... but maybe there's some reason I havent seen it?

The bass sounded awesome before it was smashed and I got it for free so I'm determined to make something of it.
thanks for your suggestions so far
Nij

Post by Nij »

You should totally find someone to make you a neck to fit that body