Chinese junk

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

NickS

Chinese junk

Post by NickS »

Image or Image
Guess which I just bought?

Decision required before I ring them tomorrow with my credit card details. I have the choice of Red, White(=cream), Blue, Black, Sunburst or Natural. At the moment I've struck Sunburst, Red, Blue and White from the list (my son has a cream Chinese jazz copy).

This is not to cherish. This is to take to the Sunday night jam in case no bassists turn up.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

cool jazz bass. how long do you reckon before people start arguing about chinese quality in this thread?
NickS

Post by NickS »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:cool jazz bass. how long do you reckon before people start arguing about chinese quality in this thread?
It's already been longer than I expected. :)
My son's bass is pretty OK, though the bridge pickup is a little anæmic. I'm hoping this will be as good.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:cool jazz bass. how long do you reckon before people start arguing about chinese quality in this thread?
I agree. The chinese food around here is lacking :wink:
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

is it a fender?
a squire?
a diddlyphone?
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

NickS wrote: a little anæmic.
How do you do that "ae" thing?
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

dodgedartdave wrote:
you need a special keyboard.
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

You can do it with a normal keyboard.

Hold ALT, and on the number pad (on the far right, not the ones across top) press 1 9 8 , let go of ALT.

You can make any symbol like this, if you know the code. If you are on a laptop, press Fn + ALT and use the blue #'s that are on our letters. If you don't have those, fuckifiknow.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

sorry, i forgot the emoticon.
NickS

Post by NickS »

dodgedartdave wrote:
It's a special talent. :)

Actually, Windows Character Map, which I drag from Programs/Accessories/System to somewhere more useful, like the desktop.
NickS

Post by NickS »

robert(original) wrote:is it a fender?
a squire?
a diddlyphone?
It's a "Texas". For £41.50 + £10 carriage I couldn't get a second-hand Squier over here. This is the same guy that sells a pack of 6 stratalikes for £180, as mentioned in another thread.
I think I've settled on "Natural", assuming he has any in that finish.
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

NickS wrote:
dodgedartdave wrote:
It's a special talent. :)

Actually, Windows Character Map, which I drag from Programs/Accessories/System to somewhere more useful, like the desktop.
Nice. Is that new with vista? If I was on a regular keyboard I could type the codes in faster than copying it out of the program, at least the codes I already knew. This will be useful, thanks.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Justin wrote:
NickS wrote:...Windows Character Map, which I drag from Programs/Accessories/System to somewhere more useful, like the desktop.
Nice. Is that new with vista? If I was on a regular keyboard I could type the codes in faster than copying it out of the program, at least the codes I already knew. This will be useful, thanks.
No, it's been around for years, at least since Windows 3.0. If you don't see it somewhere in Programs->Accessories, you may have to install it. From Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components->Accessories & Utilities -> Accessories and tick the box for Character Map. That's in XP, anyway.
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

What's the deal with the ship?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

It's a Chinese ship called a Junk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junk_%28ship%29
NickS

Post by NickS »

Well, it arrived with the coils dropped into the body. It seems they used contact adhesive to secure the coil assembly to the cover, so I had to take the pickups off and push the coils back up inside. I've given it half a turn on the truss rod and lowered the saddles slightly and it seems pretty usable. If I make it to the jam tonight, I'll take it and see how it does under live conditions.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

lol
start > run > charmap
NickS

Post by NickS »

I took this thing to the jam last night and played on four or five numbers, then the real bass players took over. One of them, Fitz, plays a Fender Jazz with active pickups and in one of the breaks he took a look at it. I invited him to try it out. He commented that it had nice action and nice bright tone (you can always turn it down), and once he'd worked out the balance between the two pickups to his satisfaction he played it for the rest of the evening (bar a bit at the end where we'd unplugged and started to pack up but someone wanted accompaniment for a bash on the drums). Part of the tone could have been the brand-new strings, I guess, but I was still pleased he thought it was good.