Guitars that will increase in value

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Sublimedo

Guitars that will increase in value

Post by Sublimedo »

Which guitars are the best investments? I want to see of any of the gear that we have will increase greatly in the future 10 years or so. Are the custom signature Fenders such as the Jagstang, Venus, and J Mascis Jazzy going to be worth much later? Just thought of this because the Supersonic's getting pretty expensive on the ebayz. Oh shit! I just realize I just posted under Fredo... he gonna kill me!
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

OOps :oops:
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

hahah..

I think certain guitars will raise in price, but I don't particularly see the Jag-Stang and Mascis Jazzmaster as being two of them. And definiytely not the Venus, Courtney's popularity is at a record low, and although I heard some encouraging demos for the next record that was 3 years ago and she's made no progress on it since, instead she's interested in sinking into a drug fueled abandon. Whatever.

As far as Kurt and Mascis' popularity, I think J Mascis is probably on the decline, I've never really been that partial to Dinosaur Jnr and I find they're being booked at festivals way less often than they used to. Kurt will always remain an icon, but the Jag-Stang just isn't a great instrument. Nirvanatards are also way lower on the rise these days, and the kids can't even play. They're all guitar hero fuckers.

I think buying vintage now and waiting for insane rises is the way forward, I can't see this current crop becoming modern classics. I can't see Fender getting rid of the Jaguar and Jazzmaster AV guitars because they're making good margin on them, so they won't benefit from a discontinuation. I think the only exception is the MG-65 reissue. I would get one of them and expect it to be cancelled and rise in price later.
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

Enlightening. I always thought that the Jagstang would be a good investment because of it's iconography, but then again, the Mustang probably represents the Kurtdz more than the Jagstang.

As for the J Mascis, honestly I only know a few Dino Jr songs, and it is strange that all of a sudden all of this Dino Jr stuff comes out. Even some car company made a Dino Jr Purple sparkle car. It's a little embarassing to admit that I wanted it because 1.) Its a friggin jazzy 2.) Purple sparkle man, it's the girl in me. But the pickups sound way nice so I was glad I got it, really fond of it actually.

Will any of the Squier Vista Series be worth much?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

To robroe they're worth $$$ if the holy grail Blue/Tort Jagmaster crops up. They're good guitars and the Supersonic in particular has cachet.

Re: the Mascis Jazzy, who cares if it's a signature guitar, if you like it for that reason or for different reasons then more power to you. I hate guitar snobbery and saying "I won't play that guitar, it's a signature guitar" is the worst type. Look at the featureset and how it plays and sounds, dick all else matters.
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

Mike is my Yoda.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

This is all just my opinion, I'm sure plenty of other people will chime and have differing ideas. I just can't help but thing that a lot of the resale increase on "vintage" guitars is because of the pre/post CBS era, the funky models that came out in the 70s for short times (Telecaster Deluxe, Custom) and the really old school guitar designs (52 Telecaster, Nocaster, Esquire). All of this stuff has a fair sprinkling of mojo dust centralised right on 1962 and continuing backwards to '52 at high levels, it begins to thin out as we get into CBS but rises for a last hurrah with the early 70s oddball Fenders.

There is no mojo dust in the late 70s and 80s, just cocaine.

And the 90s and mojo? Do me a favour
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

roachello wrote:Mike is my Yoda.
by this you mean smart ass little green guy or weird little rodent that keeps jumping on your back while your are running around the fucking swamp? :lol:

Mike's definitely right on the J Jazzy. If it sounds right for you it is on, who cares. I am about 90% on my way to pull the trigger on the strummer tele and I could give a shit about Joe Strummer. It just plays really nice and I can go either way on the looks. But I also buy/build my guitars to gig (as do alot of us I guess.....)
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

mickie08 wrote:
by this you mean smart ass little green guy or weird little rodent that keeps jumping on your back while your are running around the fucking swamp? :lol:
Seriously, is this a two way computer monitor or something, first Gavin finds out about my mass grave picture collection and now this?

Good for you on the Strummer. I can't have three Telecasters (that's just silly) so I won't be getting one, but I think it's ace.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

Mike wrote:
mickie08 wrote:
Seriously, is this a two way computer monitor or something, first Gavin finds out about my mass grave picture collection and now this?

Good for you on the Strummer. I can't have three Telecasters (that's just silly) so I won't be getting one, but I think it's ace.
I'm down to just the Tele Gretsch thing (doesn't really sound exactly like a tele with the mahog body, those pups and the bigsby brisge) the Bronco Jr (which I made for shits and giggles) and the jagmaster (which fuking plays and sounds great witht he GFS split coils if you haven't seen the new pics.) I still really miss a true tele and I got the insurance $ so we will see. I will probably decide in the next couple days.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

GFS split coils? Hot. Where pics?
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

mickie08 wrote:

this is a TWAP!
Last edited by roachello on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

To the forward command centre take me!

Love that guy so fucking much.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

Mike wrote:GFS split coils? Hot. Where pics?
Look under the shortscale and the new jagmaster 3rd page
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Generally speaking people will pay more for something they cannot find or have.
So straight away you can look at discontinued models and the proof is already there..
Fender Performer : Ugly but cool, made for 2 years and you'll be lucky to pick one up for under 500 quid.
Squier silver/protone/vista series : Nearly every model in them three ranges go for double money now, because a/ you cant find them and b/ they were high quality.
Fender Jag-stang : We know its faults, but theres people asking about them on every Fender forum and there are people on ebay bold enough to stick them up on a $1200 BIN.
There's others i cannot remember right now.

I believe Toronados are a good current investment, they still sell quite cheap but in 5 years time you wont be able to find one.
Moving away from Fender i think Matsumoku made guitars are good investments, especially the Westburys, Westones and Vantage because not many people have discovered they are the same quality as Gibson at a fraction of the price and they are becomming rare. They're still focusing on the old Ibanez Artists and Yamaha SG2000's.
Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

Mike wrote:GFS split coils? Hot. Where pics?

from my 51:

HIGH output
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Full. Wood.
Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

I've never really bought any guitars as an investment. its more like "Oooh! its cheap and its my best chance to get one"

the Jag-stang has its faults but i think it has a special charm. Its just so damn akward. I love it. The same goes but on a nicer level for my Super-Sonic
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I fuck guitars up with my general rock power. There is fuck all investment left in them. I bought them to play.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I'm somewhere in between.
I liek bargains but at the same time i realise my guitars are a bit like my house as in i have equity tied up in them. Its nice to know your buying something that wont lose value, but essentially i am a player.
You buy what you like. I would'nt buy a Gretsch chet atkins as an investment because i would'nt play it, but if it was cheap enough i'd have to.