Guitars that will increase in value

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

LimpDickCheney

Post by LimpDickCheney »

Mo Rocca wrote:magnatone typhoon?
That's the one! Do you have that one? Pics if you do.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Definitely those Silvertones with an amp in case.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Was looking for something else, and found this thread. Interesting bump, I thought.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Bacchus wrote:Was looking for something else, and found this thread. Interesting bump, I thought.
What's today's hot tip?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Jarmans, I reckon.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Pre Laurel J Mascis.

In fact, anything pre pau ferro/laurel.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

gusman2x wrote:Pre Laurel J Mascis.

In fact, anything pre pau ferro/laurel.
That's a great shout. I always though Classic Vibes might go up, but they've made enough of them that now I don't think they will. However, things that maybe had a shorter run before the switch away from rosewood might. Certain Squier jags/jazzies, etc.

Or the opposite will happen and the rosewood ones will depreciate because they aren't sellable or something.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

You never know though, pau ferro was previously used only on expensive custom guitars, hippie sandwiches and whatnot.

If they suddenly get discontinued because it is a tropical wood, then those are going to be worth more. Then again maybe not because guitarists are a sissy crybaby bunch.

Or let me put it this way, if a famous guitarist makes pau fero cool, the sheep will flock.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I think the big difference between then and now is how much more social media encourages collector culture. Back then you had sites like myrareguitars and a few dedicated URLS for various brands/catalog scans. Youtube was still in its infancy, and gear demos were usually either sponsored by brands for their new gear, or low production DIY demos. Now we have career youtubers with weekly, sometimes daily guitar unboxing and demo videos. It gets the word out and probably introduces many people to rare gear they wouldn't normally consider.

My 2008 prediction was mostly correct about vintage gear in general, but maybe not to the degree I thought back then. In any case I don't think values have gone down really, and on popular brands have only gone up.

My prediction for the next 12 years? I do think boomers aging out of the hobby will do something to the vintage market but I'm not sure what just yet beyond supply increasing. I think the Paranormals will go crazy in a few years time. I don't know what to think about the rosewood/Pau Ferro issue. I mean, there are guitars with Brazilian rosewood fretboards that nobody cares about because they're not iconic. I think the same will apply to Squiers. Pretty much all affinities and bullets had rosewood, I don't think anyone will care about those.

Hopefully people will just stop playing guitar altogether.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Nick wrote:Hopefully people will just stop playing guitar altogether.
Never have I more strongly agreed with anything someone has said on this site.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Rosewood guitars will increase in value. Rosewood is really one of the two woods used in guitars(the second being maple for necks) for its unique properties not because of some made up mojo reasons. It's almost the only wood that is hard so can hold the frets and won't wear under fingers in decades while being naturally oily so it doesn't require any finish to withstand humidity, sweat and even soaking. And it's beautiful. I don't like maple necks, the finish on them is quite fragile under the pressure and friction of the strings and worn out maple necks with hand jiz soaked into the worn out spots don't appeal to me.

I'd go for baked maple fretboards that don't require finish without thinking twice. Or even for Richlite if they start making fretboards from it.

When they ban all the tropical woods all the used mahogany guitars will increase in value for sure
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

I hope all my guitars go up in value. Fuck everyone elses
dots wrote:incesticide