Guitars that will increase in value

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

you totally have to take into account the fact that the "rock" scene is dead right now. there just isn't a spark there to involve the mass media. guitar based music has been subcatagorized down so much now that:

1. everybodys got thier own fuckin signature guitar
2. 2/3 of the people with signature guitars wouldn't have one in 1992 when kurt was around because the industry was different.

think about it.

did kim thyal have a signture guild ? no. was he awesome? yes. did he sell millions of records? yes.
jeff ament? stone gossard? millions of records. they would totally have thier own guitars right now.
the stone temple piolots dudes? millions of records
dave ghrol and billy corgan are just getting thiers now and by all means and purposes thier prime was back then too

its only a matter of time before all these suburban kids that listen to rap have kids and they rebel against thier suburban thuglife mom, pick up a guitar and start a rock band. im talking about kids that are a little younger than me, mez and dots.... like 23-25 range having kids right now. those are the kids that just missed grunge and grew up with nu metal on the radio. YA KNOW WHAT I WOULD LISTEN TO RAP IF NU METAL WAS MY ONLY OTHER CHOICE TOO!

mark my words these kids's kids are going to rebel and out of left field you are going to get the next rock star that really matters, really filps everything on its ear back to how rock should not only be played, but be presented to an audience. wearing blue jeans and a tshirt. not big 80's hair, no fucking 00's eyeliner n shit.

the 50's were about rocking the fuck out
the 60's were about doing drugs, and being a hippy.
the 70's were about rocking the fuck out
the 80's were about big hair, spandex, and that stupid shit
the 90's were about rocking the fuck out
the 00's were about eyeliner, hot topic, and the mall
the 10's are about to rock the fuck out.

you watch every 10 years or so, rock swings back from all the excess bullshit and gets back to.....

rocking the fuck out.

wow i totally got off topic on that one. all that being said if i had to buy a guitar only as an investment i would buy this

eric johnson strat. has he sold as many albums as kim thayl ? no. have i ever even heard a song this guy has played ? no.
does he look like a guy i would call a douche if i saw him walking down the street? yes.

but his guitar is made of parts and assembled in a way that speaks of quality.
and in the end sometimes quality is more important that what band your in, what ugly fucking haircut you have or the fact that i haven't ever actually heard a song you have written
dots wrote:incesticide
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I love you, Rob.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Also who the fuck is Eric Johnson? I don't know wtf he is also.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Mike wrote:Also who the fuck is Eric Johnson? I don't know wtf he is also.
Should be a bluesman like Robert Johnson and Tommy Johnson. All those johnsons were bluesmen. Or vice versa.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

eric johnson could be totally fabricated by fender to sell a guitar for all I know. i guess it worked. ive never seen his face other than in fender Frontlines.
dots wrote:incesticide
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I've never even seen his face. Fuck this Eric guy.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

i think your best bet will be limited runs of strats and teles. look at the international color and bowling ball strats of the '80s. they're easily worth 3x as much as a regular strat from the same era.

also, anything people can attach mojo to. like the very first avri's that were made in the fullerton plant in the early '80s. and the very first custom shop relics, cunetto or whatever it is.

i think you'll find that most guitar value/collectability doesn't come from sound/build quality/playability, rather it's all about elitism. why do you think the '59 les paul is so valuable? it's because there's only about 100 of them on the planet. if you get an original, then you can scoff at all the fanboys with reissues.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Do not want 59 Les Paul
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

i've never even seen one in person. i'd love to play one and see what all the hype is about.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

If you want stuff that'll increase in value buy vintage anything. There was a time not 5 years ago when you could buy any Goya, Hagstrom, harmony, etc for under $200-300. Now most models are already fetching prices of between $500-$1000. Vintage Jazzmasters when way up as well. My local shop had one some years ago, '59 refinished in oly white, but otherwise original and flawless for $2000. I thought the price was ridiculous at the time because of the refin, but we sold one at guitar center for $3500 last year in about the same refinished condition.

Bottom line is, old guitars will never stop being desirable, as long as they're A name brand. The fact that Harmony, Hagstrom, EKO, etc are all coming out with reissues will only most likely drive up the prices of their ancestors.

As far as the Jag-Stang goes, I'd say wait 25 years before demand even passes $800 for one again.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:i've never even seen one in person. i'd love to play one and see what all the hype is about.
I'd love to drop one.
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

Mike wrote:I fuck guitars up with my general rock power. There is fuck all investment left in them. I bought them to play.
+1! Strangely all the chips, scratches, and dents from my bass are on the headstock- from crashing cymbals with them. Swing Hailey- we fuck up each other's shit 8)
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Cymbal crashing is so awesome.

John hates it when I do that.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:i've never even seen one in person. i'd love to play one and see what all the hype is about.
Have seen and played. I know someone who has a 59, a 56 goldtop with p90's, a early 60's rick, and a mid 60 tele. He also has an old Vox super beatle and a Marshall Major that used to belong to richie blackmore. He's not s snob or anything, in the early 80's we won some big lawsuit, and then bought a bunch of his dream gear (and at that time vintage was cheap) and then realized he could make good money buyig and selling vintage stuff. He always has some cool stuff (like one of the Pete Townshend Les Paul's with all the switches!)

Anyway, the 59 and the 56 play like butter and were amazing. Much better than any les paul's I have played. Not sure what it was, but they just felt "right" if you now what I mean. That said, they were still Les Paul's and I am not a huge fan of them.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

Mike wrote:I'd love to drop one.
you just love being contrary, don't you.
blane

Post by blane »

i think fernandes teles are going to be going up in value as they're all ready fairly hard to find, and i know i'm not getting rid of mine...

but i the end, guitars as investments are just kinda sad in my mind.. If you want an investment buy stock or gold and silver, if you want to rock, buy a guitar.
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

I think there is more than enough guitar production to allow some of the higher end models to be set aside to retain its value. I've never worried about the value of a guitar I had except for the JagStangs, but only because even @ almost 10 years old, they were were hardly played.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:
Nah I just think it's funny to attach so much insane hiked value to an instrument. It's just wood and strings.

The look on a snobby collector's face after he accidentally dinged his guitar would be classic
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

blane wrote:but i the end, guitars as investments are just kinda sad in my mind.. If you want an investment buy stock or gold and silver, if you want to rock, buy a guitar.
it's one thing for a musician to factor in the investment potential of an instrument when buying. it's another thing entirely when non-musicians buy vintage guitars just for an investment.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

Mike wrote:
bubbles_horwitz wrote:
Nah I just think it's funny to attach so much insane hiked value to an instrument. It's just wood and strings.

The look on a snobby collector's face after he accidentally dinged his guitar would be classic
true, but admit it, you love being contrary. i mean, who doesn't?