shortscale photography thread.

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I'm pretty sure I saw some photos somewhere that were night time as day time, in that it was a night time scene shot with quickish iso with a long exposure so that enough light came through that you could see colour and stuff, but the quality of light was weird because there was no direct sunlight and the sky was odd and featureless.

I'd love to track those down again. Not sure where I came across them.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

another cool one is where people draw things in the scene with sparklers or some light like that. I think this guy Eric Staller was the first to do it but it's pretty popular and widely done now. do a google image search for 'sparkler long exposure' to see what I mean.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Ah yeah, light painting is really popular. To the point where most of it now looks rubbish/the same. I do love the link you posted though, extra points for doing it on film as well.

I did see this cool project recently though. They put lights on a wakeboarder and shot some of his tricks. I'm guessing they also used a flash to freeze him (almost) mid trick but then a long exposure to catch full trails of light. It's a cool way of showing his movement:

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

That's pretty cool. I generally agree that a lot of light-painting photos can look a bit cheesy (like, I dunno, the guitar equivalent of playing behind the bridge or nut) but I like those. How do you think that's been lit on the second one?I didn't think you could throw light any serious distance with a flash. I'm assuming it must be a flash unit mounted on the board, because there's nothing else near him. I can see that they might have mounted one on the ramp in the first.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Yeah it has to be a flash on the board IMO, look at how only one side of his face is lit. Modern high power flash guns can actually reach great distances, but they can't be aimed like that, I don't think so anyway. But I'm no master at flash photography.

Long exposure can be cool, I've only done it a couple times and they turned out sorta boring. I think the really stunning ones must be heavily edited (which I'm actually starting to believe is the case with most digital photography nowadays). Also note how in the first shot it picked up specs of dust on the lens that otherwise wouldn't have been visible.

cur

Post by cur »

Not great iphone shot of storm front moving in on as at the beach couple weeks ago. But it was kind of cool.

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Here are the first few shots(I have processed) taken during the birth of baby hurb.

These were taken on Kodak tri-x pushed to 1600 on an old'ish plastic canon slr. I was nervous as hell about taking pictures of this important day, but am so far really pleased with the results, still have 2 rolls to develop.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

EPIC, EPIC WORK on this one dude.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Thank you sir, never been more nervous taking pictures...and then developing them than with these rolls of film.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

JamesSmann wrote: EPIC, EPIC WORK on this one dude.
Aye, that's a great shot
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Fantastic photos. :)
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Saw those on flickr this morning Hurb. Lovely work, and I'm sure you an team Hurb will enjoy them for years to come!
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Thanks guys I have a 2 more rolls of film to develop from teh labor...but finding time to develop it at the moment haha :wink:
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Yeah those are amazing! I'd be nervous as hell taking a camera into something as strenuous as child birth. Congrats, by the way!

Who was it on here that has an X100? Dan I think? Have you ever considered upgrading to an X-Pro1 or does the X100 work pretty well for you? Also, how's the auto focus on it? I'm considering getting An X100 but I'm torn between that and buying a wider lens for the X-Pro1. On one hand the X100 is a really nice camera to just carry around everywhere. Leaf shutter, excellent fill flash, relatively compact, etc. On the other, the X-Pro1 technically takes "better" photos, and the Fuji 18mm lens would meet my needs pretty well.

A few random shots using the 35mm 1.4 I got for the X-Pro1. This thing is tack sharp. I'd put it up against any of the L glass I've owned. But the autofocus really is as poor as everyone says. What a shame; this combination would be flawless IMO were it not for that.

DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Yeah I have the X100. I love it. When I first heard about the X-Pro1 I was thinking about upgrading but the price was just too high and now I don't think I'll ever need it. I sometimes wish the X100 had a 50mm equivalent lens but the one it has (35mm equivalent i think) is fine for me, I've got used to it. Its a great lens.

People did complain about the focus speed initially but it has improved with firmware upgrades and is more than fast enough for what I need. I've heard it's even better in the X100s as well, maybe you could look at one of them? Although they are a lot pricier.

Is that 35mm you have a 35mm equivalent lens? or is that the 50mm equivalent? You can get an X100 with its 35mm equiv and then the wide angle adapter which takes it down to a 28mm equivalent. Not a huge difference but at least gives you another option. I've heard the build quality and image quality of it is great:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/tag/x100- ... converter/
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

My local tesco were selling off three rolls of 35mm fujicolour film for 2 quid instead of 8. bought the lot, not sure if it was just my tesco's or nation wide but worth a look!
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

^^
^^

Sweet bonus!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Might have a look but the last time bought that tescos Fuji film it turned out awful and you reprimanded me for buying film in tescos!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Nationwide! Also it was Kodak gold that ended up not being up to much. This stuff is fine and is my go to cheap colour film.

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

BacchusPaul wrote:Nationwide! Also it was Kodak gold that ended up not being up to much. This stuff is fine and is my go to cheap colour film.

Excellent!!!