shortscale photography thread.

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

I think film will be around for a long time. consumer grade film will probably phase out though. I estimate it will be gone in the next 10 years. that's why I'm having fun learning about film cameras as much as I can with cheap consumer grade film while it's still around so when it's limited to a more niche boutique industry I know how to get the most out of an expensive roll of film.

unfortunately I really like the consumer grade films the best. I've been shooting kodak color plus recently, it's one of the cheapest films kodak makes, but it's really cool. super saturated colors and grainy but not too grainy. but no one really knows how things will turn out so all we can do is have fun with the stuff while it's still around.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

I don't have a Digital camera anymore(I do sometimes have access to the in laws Nikon digital cameras, and the wife has a point and shoot I can use) and I have never been happier.
I am shooting a lot less lately but that is just because life is in the way. I think Film will be here for a while I don't think we will have to worry about it in our life times anyway. Even if film companies stop producing stocks, someone will take over if it is popular(impossible project) and even if that doesn't happen early photographic processes like the Collodion process will still be around. You will never have to go back to digital.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

I haven't shot film for a while now. I actually have a roll ready to be developed, just haven't got round to it. I don't think I would ever not have a digital camera, just because of the convenience of them. Film is great, generally I prefer the way film looks. But being able to go and take a bunch of photos without thinking about them too much and then seeing them as soon as you get home or whatever... that is also great.

Maybe sell your gear and get a cheaper digital camera for less regular use? Or if you already have a cheaper digital camera then just sell the expensive gear.

I got these prints through the post today of a couple of photos I took in Iceland on my x100. They're A2 size and look really nice, lots of detail. One is for my dad for fathers day (a little late) and I will keep the other:

Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Well, I think I've decided, then. I'll sell it. I still have the XZ-1, which is a very capable digital camera (in some respects better than the DSLRs I've owned, including my current 5D). The only thing I'd miss is that there are no fast tele lenses in the Fuji lineup. The fastest is a 55-200 f/3.5-4.8. Also, its autofocus is not that great for moving subjects. And I do use that frequently when shooting sports, especially motorsports.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

want to sell me your 5D? :wink:

JOS KIDDING!

I've just ordered myself a C-41 developing kit. What spurred me on was last night I thought I would pack a camera bag for taking into hospital when lady hurb pops out a baby sometime this week hopefully. But I only have slow speed b&w film and tons of colour film (I had planned on taking kodak tri-x for any lighting issues) I have ordered some 35mm tri-x this morning but it obviously may not come in time. So I may have to take the 120 kodak porta in instead. And if I do I don't want pictures of my lady's hoohaa in the wrong hands, so will have to develop the colour film myself.
I just got the small 1l kit.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

I totally would, except I think the cost of getting it overseas would probably be enormous. Also, I've got an ad up on Craigslist and have had a few hits already, so I don't think it will take long to sell locally.

I can't decide which lens to get for the Fuji. So far I've been using only manual focus lenses on adapters, but with the 5D gone I'll want to get a dedicated AF lens. The choices are between an 18mm f/2 (27mm equivalent), 35mm f/1.4 (53mm equivalent), or an 18-55 f/2.8-4 zoom. I'm leaning towards the zoom for the versatility of it, but I'd sure miss having a constant, fast aperture. Not to mention, f/4 is slow in very dim lighting. I use a 28mm lens (42mm equivalent) most, and I find that not quite wide enough. I'd really like something in the 35-40mm focal length range, but, Fuji doesn't offer anything like that yet. However they're going to release a 23mm f/1.4 at the end of the year, so I may just get the 35mm now and get that later. Why can't a company that makes only crop bodies and only lenses for crop bodies just market their lenses in 35mm equivalent terms? :evil:
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

I just ordered another 1 liter c-41 kit. the first kit had gotten a bit spent after developing approximately 30 rolls of film with it.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Mages wrote:I just ordered another 1 liter c-41 kit. the first kit had gotten a bit spent after developing approximately 30 rolls of film with it.
How do you know when things are going a bit over used?

I need to look back into colour processing and get up to speed on the how to's and do's and don'ts. Any decent links?
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

the negatives start to look a bit thin. you can tell especially by looking at the edge numbers. I was extending the developing time to compensate but still they were coming out a bit thin looking. I think there might be some scientific method of determining precisely the amount of extra time but after a dozen rolls or so I was just adding ten seconds on to the time for every roll developed.

I just watched the video on that blog and read everything on all the links she posted. it's not really that hard to mess up honestly. just be extra careful about any light hitting the undeveloped negs and dont get any bleach or blix or anything else in your developer. some people are obsessed about storing the chemicals air free and temperature controlled and all this nonsense. it really doesn't make much of a difference. oh yeah but I will recommend not doing a pre-wash. it's unnecessary and can actually make the developer less effective because the water molecules get into the emulsion and block the developer. also do a final rinse with photo-flo or dish washing rinse aid (same thing) it gets rid of water spots and drip lines. also the drying temperature matters. if it's too hot (like a bathroom with the radiator running hot in the winter) the negs will cup and be an absolute bitch to scan.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Question: is convenient access to running water necessary for a dark room? C-41 or otherwise. The only place I'd be comfortable using chemicals like that is in my garage, but it's detached.

Apparently I picked a bad time to sell my gear. There have been price drops on my lenses in recent months...now they're going new for the price I paid used. And 5D bodies can be had for as low as $450, whereas I paid $800 for mine at the beginning of last year. Sad day. They say that buying quality glass is an investment and that it won't lose value...maybe that was true years ago, but now every time a new piece of tech comes out, price of the old tech (including lenses) immediately goes down.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Dillon wrote:Question: is convenient access to running water necessary for a dark room? C-41 or otherwise. The only place I'd be comfortable using chemicals like that is in my garage, but it's detached.
It would make things a lot easier. When it comes to washing the film you need a fair bit of water. Could you hook up a hose into the garage?
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Sadly not, there's no outdoor water anywhere near me save for the fire hydrant :lol: Guess I'll be stuck paying a lab for a while. I'm about to put my place up for sale so using a bathroom or a closet isn't an option at the moment.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Dillon wrote: I'm about to put my place up for sale so using a bathroom or a closet isn't an option at the moment.
If that is all that is stopping you, I would suggest having everything in a box that you can put away when you are done. You don't need that much stuff anyway. And you don't really need to disturb the room you use(if you use a changing bag to load the film into the developing tank, or you room is light tight).
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

there is a rinse stage. you can open the developing tank at that point. I just open it and leave it under the running faucet for 3 - 5 minutes, swishing it around and pouring it out every minute or two. actually I read there is a method for rinsing known as the "ilford method" that ilford came up with to conserve water during some drought in the UK. try looking that up because it uses very little water and is apparently all you really need. you could just fill a jug of water and do that.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Mages wrote:there is a rinse stage. you can open the developing tank at that point. I just open it and leave it under the running faucet for 3 - 5 minutes, swishing it around and pouring it out every minute or two. actually I read there is a method for rinsing known as the "ilford method" that ilford came up with to conserve water during some drought in the UK. try looking that up because it uses very little water and is apparently all you really need. you could just fill a jug of water and do that.
I use that now as it is much quicker
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

here is a horrible picture of me developing some film

bucket in the back is for hot water to raise the temperature of developer and blix. thermometer is in the developer bottle. I've just taken the developer and blix out of the bucket because they are 102° fahrenheit. I got those beakers and funnels at the dollar store for $2. stabilizer is that bottle in the back corner. you can see the tank with film in it in the foreground. I'm about to uncork it and pour in the developer.

the phone that I used for this horrendous image has the stop-watch that I use for timing everything.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

All this talk has got me really wanting to shoot some actual film. I've been shooting polaroids (impossible project for a year or so now) and I love them, but damn it's pricey.

My wife and I inherited a load of gear from he late father, who was a bit of an entusiast (and a real good one too). A couple of canon slrs with a few nice lenses so I think I'll try and get into it. It's just the cost an incinvenience that puts me off at the moment. Plus, I really need to learn how to use a light meter first.

We're planning on moving within the next few months, so when we have, I may try a set up a bit of a dark room.

But, all these pictures you guys are posting are insipiring, very nice indeed.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

gusman2x wrote:All this talk has got me really wanting to shoot some actual film. I've been shooting polaroids (impossible project for a year or so now) and I love them, but damn it's pricey.

My wife and I inherited a load of gear from he late father, who was a bit of an entusiast (and a real good one too). A couple of canon slrs with a few nice lenses so I think I'll try and get into it. It's just the cost an incinvenience that puts me off at the moment. Plus, I really need to learn how to use a light meter first.

We're planning on moving within the next few months, so when we have, I may try a set up a bit of a dark room.

But, all these pictures you guys are posting are insipiring, very nice indeed.
There is a cost involved there is no doubt. Money is really tight right now and I struggled to budget the 40 quid I just spent on 10 rolls of film....however you have to put yourself in film mindset (which I am sure you are already in being that you shoot polaroids) photography doesn't have to be about shooting everything you see, digital has made that an option and the norm almost. Yes I would shoot more if I had a digital camera all the time, but shooting film on a budget has made me much more thoughtful of what I am taking pictures of(I still end up shooting crap and wasting film) the picture is much more of a involved thought out process that still doesn't mean you can't be spontaneous but means from setting up the shot to developing the film to scanning the image to printing it the image is ingrained with you because you have been involved through out..I never get that with digital. If I want a shot of my dog for example I will shoot it a million times to get it right with a digital camera. I can't afford to do that with film so the pictures just happen and is much more rewarding for it.
Example:
A digital image I took of my dog on a boring day off, this will be one of at least 6 pictures I took to get him looking just right, and I don't think it is that great really there is a soullessness to the image.
There really is no reward in this image for me looking back, except from a documenting point of view, I have an image of my dog.

Example 2:
A film image of my dog that just happened, now technically my dog isn't even in the light (he wasn't supposed to be) he kept on running in when I was taking pictures of lady hurb, I only took one picture then told him to get out the way. But this picture is so much more important to me I remember the day it happened I remember how it happened I remember my wife laughing at him and him wagging his tale nearly knocking the lights over. I remember the camera and how I kept on steaming the view finder up trying to get the focus. I love the image and most of all I have the negative I know where it is and I will have it forever(all being well).

I hope that all didn't sound to clap trap, I am not shooting very much at the moment but that is more to do with time than anything else and I am bit uninspired too. But a digital camera wouldn't really solve that and the way I shoot digital would probably bore me to stopping altogether.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Not clap trap at all.

I have very similar feelings about how I shoot now. By the time I was interested in taking photgraphs myself, digital was at the fore. Like you said, the disposable nature of the way you take digital frames meant that I'd just fire off 20 images of something I'd like in the hope that one would be decent. I'm not very good anyway, so I found the whole process quite unrewarding.

When I started shooting instant film, I was immediately disapointed with the results and my own lack of knowledge/patience. I'm now at the stage where I can take my cameras out with me and not take a single shot. I often frame up an image, then put the camera away. I find that I'm probably still only 50% happy with what I do take, but I appreciate the whole experience a lot more. It's really helped me think about framing, and most importantly, light. Modern SLRs do to much whizz bang and forgive all sorts of shit photography techniques. I think it will ultimately help me to take better shots with digital as well.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

I think you are ready to give it a go, once you have shot a roll of film and processed it you will wonder what took you so long.