shortscale photography thread.

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Yeah, that's part of it. It's for program modes. I'll use aperture priority as an example. In that mode, you set the aperture, and the camera's meter would choose an appropriate shutter speed for you. So if you feel the meter is off, or if you want to purposefully over or underexpose a photo, then you just turn the exposure compensation dial and it automatically adjusts shutter speed. It's quicker than shooting in full manual modes.

What I didn't realize is that an exposure compensation dial would have absolutely no purpose on an FM-series camera, since they're fully manual only :) To be quite honest I've never used a fully manual camera, i.e. one with no electronics at all. How does the meter work, if it's not being sent aperture information from the lens? (Or does it still get sent somehow?)
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

It is sent info from the lens but the older ones do this mechanically by way of a prong on the lens that's attached to the aperture ring and couples with a similar pouring On the camera. My nikkormat has a light meter but nothing like shutter or aperture priority modes, you prioritise that yourself by adjusting those two parameters so that you get a proper exposure.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Ah, that makes sense. I think I ought to at least try one.

Just got a roll of Ektar 100 back from the mini lab. Shot with a Canon T70. Last week we had an unheard of amount of rain, so when it started letting up, I decided to get out and capture the mood (that is, there was a real feeling of loneliness / abandonment outside as everyone just stayed indoors). I wish I hadn't used the Ektar with this camera though...I think these FD-based cameras have a very distinctly vintage look, no matter what kind of film you put through them. Which I think looks cool for these types of photos, but Ektar is not cheap. The level of detail of these is fantastic, but otherwise, I don't see much difference between this and cheapo Kodak Gold. These are edited for exposure and contrast correction as well.
► Show Spoiler
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

I found an old disposable camera the other day and had it developed. Pictures were taken in 2008, so it was expired by about 3 years. The photos of people came out mostly junk, but some of the landscapes look pretty neat because of the color cast.

Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Any of you still using Flickr now that it's changed so much? I used it before but not regularly. Just created a new account. Wondering if it's possible to customize what appears on the home page. Right now it shows me recent activity, and then below that, suggested photos / people I should follow. I really just want it to show new photos from groups I'm in, and photos from friends.

Speaking of, feel free to add me, I'd love to see more from people on here. I don't know if there's a way to link to my profile (or whatever it's called), so here's a link to my photo stream.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I can never find anything on Flickr by searching. search for the shortscale group, add yourself to that then you'll be easier to find.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Dillon wrote:Any of you still using Flickr now that it's changed so much? I used it before but not regularly. Just created a new account. Wondering if it's possible to customize what appears on the home page. Right now it shows me recent activity, and then below that, suggested photos / people I should follow. I really just want it to show new photos from groups I'm in, and photos from friends.

Speaking of, feel free to add me, I'd love to see more from people on here. I don't know if there's a way to link to my profile (or whatever it's called), so here's a link to my photo stream.
I still go on but haven't posted anything in a while, been busy. Think I'm going out tomorrow with my camera though to a castle. Hope the sun shines!
My home page shows large photos from people I follow on the left then a smaller column on the right with my groups / explore / flickr blog etc. I don't remember changing any settings though.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Spent the afternoon in a castle on a hill. Some photos.

Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Unbeknownst to me until today, Fuji released a firmware update for the X-Pro1 back in July. I just made the update and wow, this camera just went from being a really good camera to an incredible camera. Auto focus speed is much improved, and the focus peaking is useful, especially since I use a lot of adapted MF lenses.

[youtube][/youtube]
I had just been considering selling the Fuji and switching back to a small DSLR (the new Canon SL1 looks very intriguing), but now I'm thinking of buying another lens for it instead :lol: I have a choice between a 21mm equivalent and a 28mm equivalent. Really, 24mm is my favorite for wide angle, but that's not an option. I have never shot with anything as wide as a 21mm. I think 28mm would be more useful on a daily basis, but I do love the artistic effects of an ultra wide. Which would you choose?
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

For years I've been clamoring that someone should make a DSLR styled like a vintage film SLR. Well, Nikon has done it, and I have mixed opinions.

For one, it looks a little...awkward. The extra depth of it as compared to a film SLR kind of ruins it for me. Plus, it's rumored to cost $2800 US, body only. Even if I sold my entire Fuji setup I wouldn't be able to afford that.

On the other hand, it's full-frame, and can use any F-mount lens. So if you have a collection of old Nikkor glass, you would never need to buy another digital camera again.

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Don't really see the point. Surely a full Nikon dslr is cheaper and better and will take roughly the same lenses and be roughly the same size? That looks cool, I suppose. Still doesn't look as cool as an FM2n and a stack of lenses, mind.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Well, it's hard to tell from pictures but I assume it's much smaller than most full-frame (35mm equivalent) DSLRs. Certainly it's smaller than the D4 that it gets its sensor from. I suppose the point is that if you like the look and feel of something like an FM2n, but wanted all the features of a modern DSLR, you couldn't get that until now. I mean, the main reason I sold my Canon DSLR setup to get an X-Pro1 is because I really enjoyed having a dedicated shutter dial and an aperture ring, instead of thumb wheels. I also wanted the ability to use manual focus lenses on a digital body. But, as fantastic as that camera is, it's not something I'd ever use professionally, because it's not designed for that. This new Nikon would do everything that a modern DSLR is capable of. Except I just read that it will not have interchangeable focusing screens, meaning that you'll never be able to get a split image. So, the fact that it works with old MF lenses is kind of pointless.

TL;DR version: It looks like a rich hipster's toy, but I would still get one if I had the money because I love dedicated control dials.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

So I bought a Yashica TL Electro-X off Craigslist for $35. It's in beautiful condition cosmetically, and has had all the seals replaced recently. Couldn't pass it up for that price. Does anyone here own M42 mount cameras? Recommendations on some decent lenses that don't cost a fortune? It came with a 50mm 1.7 which, from what I've seen of photos posted online, is excellent, but I'd like to have something wider (in the 24 - 35mm range). Unfortunately it seems that M42 lenses are somewhat rare compared to their successors.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

Dillon wrote:
► Show Spoiler
beautimous.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Thanks! Expired film is cool. I got a few rolls of expired film with a camera I bought a while back that I've been looking forward to using, but haven't been doing as much photography lately.

A few shots from last weekend...

Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

does anyone know what sort of money this is?

I found this note among my grandfather's things. maybe it's turkish?
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

I would guess that or Pakistani based on the star and crescent (it looks like the Pakistan flag)...

I got a couple more rolls of film developed. But WTF, I guess you can no longer get a direct link to a Flickr photo? Or rather, the links aren't able to be embedded. I might upload them to Facebook, but they always seem to compress them and make them all grainy. What else is out there for photographers? I've used Photobucket in the past, but it's so convoluted now. I just want a place to create albums and easily upload photos to share, without losing image quality.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

You should be able to off flickr? You might have to right click > view image / copy image location.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

that picture I posted above is from flickr. if you go to the image page and click on 'view all sizes' you can then choose the size you want, right click and select copy image URL. if you can't, check your settings for downloading permissions.

and yeah, they do compress uncompressed file formats for display on the site (although they save the original uncompressed file for you or anyone you choose to download later) but they don't seem to compress them too terribly and if you upload a photo in an already compressed format they leave it be, they won't re-compress it.

edit: oh and I just remembered, if you don't want to use flickr a good free image service is google's picasa.
Last edited by Mages on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

I maded a set here to show some of my favorite pictures I've taken:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25902022@N ... 74/detail/

does anyone know any good places to get prints? I've been thinking of doing like some 5x7s and 8x10s. are drug store prints sufficient? is there a place online that does real quality work?