i want a lute

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

i want a lute

Post by robroe »

how much is a lute

ive always wanted once since like Final Fantasy I came out and you had to do all that shit with it. or was that some other game like zelda or some shit.

anyways they have like what 4 strings and really skinny necks right? sounds right up my alley.

im putting this shit here because im guessing lutes are short scale right?
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

ps. i just want to sit around and play dungeons and dragons music until like the end of february.

anyone got one of those flute things that isn't a flute? whtat that fucking thing called ? its not a fife. that was during the civil war n shit.

if you think its time to fukcing rock
and fukcing roll
out of control
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

he is going to kick
your fucking ass
and you know
his name is kyle gass
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

i guess a lute would constitute as a short scale.... :roll:
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

looks like they have more than four strings. definitely a shortscale, though.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

well whats that fucking thing that looks like that with the teardrop body and skinny fucking neck

i want that thing
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

ok fuck a lute i want to play drums and pipe at the same time like this guy

paul_

Re: i want a lute

Post by paul_ »

The "skinniness" of the neck depends on how many courses, (a pairing of two strings playing the same note, as on a 12-string guitar) the instrument has. Lutes can have anywhere from 6 courses (12 strings) to 10 (20 strings).
robroe wrote:how much is a lute
Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a cheap, mass-produced lute. Most you'll ever see were luthier-built because they're WELL out of style, considered a "world music instrument" and more important to historical discussion than they ever will be to music and culture (especially now that the guitar is around). They are therefore invariably hard to find, and expensive when you do. Well-made, nice ones go for upwards of 2 grand.

The cheapest lute I've ever seen for sale was $300, and I'll bet it was on par with a $150 classical guitar in terms of quality. The next one up was $700, on the internet somewhere.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

THAT SUCKS. I WANT TO MAKE FUCKING FINAL FANTASY MUSIC W/O A FUCKING MIDI KEYBOARD.

REAL LIFE FANTASY SHIT
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

this crazy shit like richie is playing here. i thought it only had 4 strings but aparently its like 8

[youtube][/youtube]
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

You could look up a loud...

And the flute zelda shit you were talkin' 'bout... Ocarina of Time? I heard Ocarinas were real, but I hope they have more notes than in Zelda.
analogsystem

Post by analogsystem »

robroe wrote:THAT SUCKS. I WANT TO MAKE FUCKING FINAL FANTASY MUSIC W/O A FUCKING MIDI KEYBOARD.

REAL LIFE FANTASY SHIT
Get a mandolin.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

fuck a mandolin. they are tiny. you look like some pussy in REM playing that shit.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

then get a mandocello or a bouzouki.
and ocarinas are real, i have one.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Yeah there was an old-school episode of Doug where Skeeter makes an ocarina out of a stale bread roll.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

mine's blue like in zelda, but doesn't have the triforce on it.
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

Ninja Mike 808 wrote:You could look up a loud...

And the flute zelda shit you were talkin' 'bout... Ocarina of Time? I heard Ocarinas were real, but I hope they have more notes than in Zelda.
Ocarinas are real. I've seen little wooden ones around the music stores in Seal Beach. But HELL YEAH Ocarina of Time is my favorite game EVAR! It's actually the only game I began and finished. Other games I usually abandon after a month or so.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

it's not just your favorite, it is the best game ever. nintendo should've just shot themselves to save them the embarrassment of later, lesser games.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

I've got an Irish Bouzouki, it both rings deep and sounds huge with four courses. The charm of a lute is great for the sound of dual unison nylon strings and that badass renaissance shape, but a Bouzouki will blend in will all kinds of music, sounding sometimes like a 12-stringer, other times like a tenor steel-string guitar.

When I was in Brighton back in '99, I saw a neo-celt bunch with a guy who played an incredible archtop Fylde Cittern, five courses he said were tuned to an open D of sorts. Looked cool, had some really deep bass tones, yet chimed like Roger McGuinn on caffeine.

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

The ocarina is a type of flute that is small, "potato" shaped, and and usually made from ceramic. They come in many sizes and shapes, and most have a range of about one octave. The one in Zelda is a sweet potato ocarina.

The flute that isn't a flute might be an old fashioned flute. These go by many names, including: wooden flute, black flute, and (I think) German flute. The instrument has a slightly mellower tone than the classical style, metal flute, and isn't as piercing or powerful. It is also more difficult to produce a sound with, The modern flute is known as the Boehm flute, after an nineteenth century flute maker who brought in many innovations to change the way the flute plays, making it more suitable for orchestral use.

The lute is an old, old instrument, that seems to have slipped into obsolescence. My girlfriend's uncle has one, and says that if you play one you'll realise why people gave up on it and invented the guitar instead.

The bouzouki is actually a Greek instrument Sn Irish folk musician whose name escapes me received on as a gift in the fifties, and subsequently recorded with it. I think he was a member of Planxty, an Irish traditional band. The guy actually hated the instrument, but the recording became popular, and consequently, so did the instrument.

That bouzouki looks lovely Ultra. I'd really, really like a bouzouki some day, but first I'd want a mondolin, and before that moar guitars. Can you play? We ought to do something for the Shortscale Compilation, with you on bouzouki, and me on erhu. I appreciate that the erhu isn't a Korean instrument, but then the bouzouki isn't really Irish, so I reckon we'd get away with it.