Jag/short scale string choice...

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

i agree with the above, short scales do NOT need heavier strings. Kinda defies the point of having a shorter neck really - "oh this guitar has a looser feel, so lets put thick strings on it to give it a feel thats as heavy or heavier than all my other guitars".

I think lots of people do it because it stops the strings rattling against the frets. But of course this is a setup issue, not a string gauge issue - with a good setup you should be able to get perfect playabily and intonation, and no fret buzz with 9s on a Fender jaguar. Hell, I strung my 22" Squier Duo Sonic with 10s and it played like a dream - low action, no buzz.

Anyway my current Fender Jaguar came strung with 11s and Fender bullets at that, and it plays like sh#t compared to the factory fresh one i played in Soundcontrol (they cone out of the factory strung with 9s or 10s right?)
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

i can see why people would want to put heavier strings on jaguars as it really is a quick fix for a lot of the setup problems on that guitar.
but my personal experience has been that shortscales in general don't need heavy strings. fine if you like 'em, but i'm perfectly happy with my 9's.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Bubbles is right on, I perfected my personal jaguar set-up back when I used 9's. I moved up to 10's, then 11's, and back down to 10's, now with heavier bass strings, and it's always taken a minimal amount of time to sort the set-up so it'll stay in tune pretty well and I can use the vibrato bar... so I don't think you NEED heavier strings.
However, I do tend to bear in mind that the vibrato systems/floating bridge assemblies on those old fender shortscales were designed with heavier strings in mind, because that's what they used in the late 50's/early 60's.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
65fenvox

Post by 65fenvox »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:i can see why people would want to put heavier strings on jaguars as it really is a quick fix for a lot of the setup problems on that guitar.
but my personal experience has been that shortscales in general don't need heavy strings. fine if you like 'em, but i'm perfectly happy with my 9's.
My old guitar tech, a very smart man with years of experience, said to me. "Why do you have heavy strings on your Mustang?"
I said "well, its a short scale, your meant too" He said "Bass guitars have long necks for very thick strings, Jags/Mustangs have short necks for thin strings, knuckle head!" I still don't know if he was right or just fucking with me, something he did a lot! This was when I was still quite new to guitars.
I still don't pay attention to that. I think it depends on what music you play, how you play and if it feel comfortable to you.
I think it was Billy Corgan who used .9's for the recording of "mellon collie...", but with a .52 low E string.
So, what works for you.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

65fenvox wrote:"Bass guitars have long necks for very thick strings, Jags/Mustangs have short necks for thin strings, knuckle head!" I still don't know if he was right or just fucking with me, something he did a lot!
Surely a bass has thicker strings and longer scale because it's tuned an octave lower! But then shorter scale basses and baritone guitars have progessives lighter guage strings, so maybe he does have a point..
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Eh if i put 8s on my Mustang and tuned to standard pitch looking at it would put the notes out of tune let alone if I fretted a note.

You use heavier strings on a bass guitar because it is tuned to a lower pitch. The lower pitch means less tension so you need to compensate with heavier gauge strings. Shortscales have less tension because the necks are shorter, so you need to compensate by going up a gauge or two. There is no way I could tune down to C like I have recently with standard 9s or 10s.
euan
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

euan wrote:Shortscales have less tension because the necks are shorter, so you need to compensate by going up a gauge or two. There is no way I could tune down to C like I have recently with standard 9s or 10s.
we're talking about regular tuning. If my Yamaha RGX321 can handle 8s with super low action and no buzz, then a shorter scale easily can handle 9s or 10s.

I'm gonna restring my jag with 10s tonight - exciting!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

No, Aphasiac. In regular tuning 9s on a shortscale will be very floppy.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

If you follow the idea that shortscales are student guitars then yes go with the regular gauge. If you play both standard and shortscales you will find its best to put on a heavier gauge on the shortscales.
euan
65fenvox

Post by 65fenvox »

aphasiac wrote:
65fenvox wrote:"Bass guitars have long necks for very thick strings, Jags/Mustangs have short necks for thin strings, knuckle head!" I still don't know if he was right or just fucking with me, something he did a lot!
Surely a bass has thicker strings and longer scale because it's tuned an octave lower! But then shorter scale basses and baritone guitars have progessives lighter guage strings, so maybe he does have a point..
Like I said, he enjoyed fucking with me.
I do think that every guitarist should try as many different brands and string gauges as possible though.
I once met this kid who was buying his first guitar. We started talking and right away he showed an a displeasure for the guitar he was buying. "I'm going have to do a lot of stuff to it before it gonna be ok" I said to him, "Dude, just change the strings first and leave it at that for now"
So many young guitarists have their minds clouded by what their idols play, and not what works for them!
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

I used to buy Dean Markley's until I joined Swing Hailey and gathered a huge collection of 20+ guitars. Now we gotta buy the 20 pack or whatever comes in a multi pack and on sale with quality of course. I think right now we're rocking some D'addario XLs. At first I didn't like them because I was used to light stings, but after I started playing bass, heavy doesn't make a difference in feel anymore.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

ok i restrung my jag with Earnie Ball 10s, and yeh it sounds and plays alot better. 11s + SD Quarter Pounders was a bad combination, too bass-heavy.

Also finally it inntonations perfectly for the first time. Quite buzzy though, had to raise the action - think it needs a truss rod adjustment. but that means taking the neck off, bugger.
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

I use whatever I grab off the shelf.Some small music store was going out of business and I bought 34 sets of strings(all diff brands) for $2.00 a set.I lean toward D'addario XL10's.
65fenvox

Post by 65fenvox »

aphasiac wrote:ok i restrung my jag with Earnie Ball 10s, and yeh it sounds and plays alot better. 11s + SD Quarter Pounders was a bad combination, too bass-heavy.

Also finally it inntonations perfectly for the first time. Quite buzzy though, had to raise the action - think it needs a truss rod adjustment. but that means taking the neck off, bugger.
I think .10's are perfect for Jags. Hey aphasiac, Do you still have your Jag video's on YouTube?? I'm sure it's you as I don't think I would forget your bedroom.
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

Has anyone tried GHS Boomers? I have a set of 11's on my compstang and am very happy with them. I grew up playing the Ernie Balls. Never liked anything made by D'Addarrio. Does anybody ever play a half step down? It is comfortable as fuck
"The suspence is terrible, I hope it lasts!"
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

Wonka wrote:Has anyone tried GHS Boomers?
the cheesy packaging has always turned me off. never bothered to try them.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

65fenvox wrote: I think .10's are perfect for Jags. Hey aphasiac, Do you still have your Jag video's on YouTube?? I'm sure it's you as I don't think I would forget your bedroom.
haha yeh thats me, and yes theyre still up. bad videos though, dont show off my playing very well so dont watch them :P
NickS

Post by NickS »

Rotosound Roto reds (11, plain G) on my Swinger.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

my av jag gets 11's and my hh get 10's. fender super bullets on both.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

NickS wrote:Rotosound Roto reds (11, plain G) on my Swinger.
I take the top half of the Reds and match them with the bottom half of Blues. The heavier set of Purples (see what I did there) go on the Mustang the lighters on my Teles.
euan