CIJ Jaguar neck

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

TheBurbz

CIJ Jaguar neck

Post by TheBurbz »

Hey all,
Does the CIJ Jaguar neck have the same dimensions as the CIJ Mustang? I was considering buying a Jag with my redundancy pay but I found the Mustang neck a little on the skinny side, would prefer something more along the lines of a Strat neck.
thanks,
Steven.
Are you a Wizard?
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

they are damn close to identical,
the u.s. neck is a lil bit bigger i think.
i remember measuring that up to my j.s. neck and it was bigger, and my gf's old compstang was pretty similer to my j.s.
the cij neck that i have right now i think is the exact same as the j.s. just a different logo.
its the same year and all so.....
but anywho, the u.s. necks are more "straty" feeling, if you ask me.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Is'nt the fretboard profile slightly different robert?
I'm pretty sure when i used a stang bridge on my Jag the curve of the saddles was'nt quite right.
robert(original)

u mean the radius?
jags n stangs are 7.5 radius thru and thru.
are you speaking of your vintage jag?
perhaps it is actually the wear on the frets that has changed to a flatter radius thus making the bridge not as effective.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

My CIJ jaguar neck is slightly flatter profile than my jag-stang neck, which is more rounded. The jag-stang neck actually feels smaller because of the more rounded radius that fits right into your hand, but though the Jaguar neck is possibly skinnier/equal thickness from the center of the back of the neck to the strings, it feels wider because of the later roll-off in it's radius (the neck profile radius, not the fretboard radius), and actually gives the impression of being bigger.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
robert(original)

paul, the entire time i was reading that i was scratching my head, and then when you said neck profile it all made sense,
i never bothered to make neck(profile templates)
maybe it would be worth having around.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

paul_ wrote:My CIJ jaguar neck is slightly flatter profile than my jag-stang neck, which is more rounded. The jag-stang neck actually feels smaller because of the more rounded radius that fits right into your hand, but though the Jaguar neck is possibly skinnier/equal thickness from the center of the back of the neck to the strings, it feels wider because of the later roll-off in it's radius (the neck profile radius, not the fretboard radius), and actually gives the impression of being bigger.
yeh Jag-Stang neck is the same radius, but its more narrow (especially near the 12th fret) and has a chunky D like profile, where as the jaguar is a C profile.

I LOVE the jag-stang neck, pity about the rest of the guitar!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

you all are on crack.

my 94 jagstang neck = my 02 compstang neck = my 72 bronco neck = my 06 mustang neck

its all 24" scale shit with 7.5 radi with the same profile.

the only jaguar w/o 7.5 radius is the jag HH. they made that thing as flat as hell.
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i just checked on fender.com and it says that the HH has a 7.25 radius. haha stupid fender website
robert(original)

i thought the hh had a compound radius?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i think it is actually. starts out flat, gets round?
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

My CIJ Jag neck is/feels quite fatter than my CIJ Mustang neck, I don't know about radious' etc, so just said how it is.
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

The CIJ Jag neck IS fatter then the Mustang/Jag-stang neck. Anyone who says anything different is wrong.
Last edited by JordanD on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robert(original)

with a compound radius you start out round, and then flat, its just so you can bend without fretting out.
altho i have wondered how effective the fretting is.
i have a stewmac board that is a compound radius, got it in a trade, one day i will use it and tell you how it works out.
im not even sure of the specs of it.
TheBurbz

Post by TheBurbz »

So the answer is that the Jaguar and Mustang necks are the same thickness?
Are you a Wizard?
robert(original)

give me 30 mins, im going to dispell this all,
im going to measure my j.s. neck, and my jaguar neck.
both made at the exact same factory, in the same year, just different modles, so we will be able to see any differences,
if they're are any.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

TheBurbz wrote:So the answer is that the Jaguar and Mustang necks are the same thickness?

i say no
bob says yes.

although i have never owned a jag, everytime i pick one up in the store, my brain says "rob this is exactly how a guitar neck is supposed to feel"

the reason my brain tells me this is because i have been playing this same jagstang almost 14 years....yes 14 years. give or take a month(s)....13? whatever....its a long ass time to play one guitar every day of your life. especially when for the first 8 or so years i only had the one guitar.

once OG takes his ruler to the shit you can trust his ruler over my brain, hand/eye, and repetitve muscle contraction of my left digits

EDIT:

bob says no
rob says yes
i think?
robert(original)

ok,here it is folks
measurements at the 1st fret and12th fret of both guitars and then profile meausrement,
i was pleasently suprised.
JAGUAR
1st fret. 21.12mms
12th fret.23.11mms

JAG-STANG
1st. fret 20.12
12th fret 22.99

now as you can tell they are SLIGHTLY different but i attribute that to the fact that my j.s. has about a million hoiurs of playtime and that jaguar probly has about 5 hours altogether.
so i do believe that to a certain extent the measurements are differnt but it can attributed to wear on the neck.
here is the interesting part......
i did some profile measurements on the thing and found that the j.s. has a slight..... curve or..... its.... not round, like you would normally think, i re-did this about 10 times and double checked myself each time, and sure enough, this is the shape of my j.s. neck(its super noticable at the 12th fret, but also exists at the first.
now compare that to the jaguar at the 12th fret.
kinda crazy huh?
here is what i traced out from it for better referrence.
this is just some shots of measureing the neck thickness.
keep in mind, im right behind the fret. that is what i used to orient the clipers.
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

I have those calipers! They're so helpful!
robert(original)

hell ya they are!
right up until the battery starts to die and the measurements get all screwy.......
and they were cheaper than the diecast metal ones, i think i paid like 6 bucks for it, and the diecast was like 9.