wiring problems (halp)

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

matte30is
Gimme' head till I'm dead

wiring problems (halp)

Post by matte30is »

Hey guys just wired up my strat with a single jb-4 humbucker in the bridge. It sounds awesome. I put in a new fender 250k volume pot and a 250k tone pot and used this exact schematic.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wi ... 1vol_1tone

The tone works like it should but the volume dose not roll on. It rolls all the way till the end and the pot hits the notch and then the volume comes on.

I think I might have gotten the wires coming from the jack backwards would this cause this? I'm not gonna take it apart for awhile because I just put some new strings on it. lol
iCEByTes wrote:V8 give me chills the sound of motor , the visual , oh man oh shit oh crap.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

you got the lead bent back and soldered real good to the Vol pot ? the one on the far right?
dots wrote:incesticide
filtercap

Post by filtercap »

I'm looking at that diagram, trying to switch wires & turn knobs in my head.... I don't think merely switching the wires going to the jack would change things, unless maybe there's some shielding foil making an unexpected connection.

My best guess is that you've got the volume pot wired up backwards, same as what Rob's getting at. In the diagram, the two pots have their terminals facing each other. If you happened to fasten the vol pot into your pickguard/guitar with the terminals facing away from the tone knob, it would be easy to wire things in backwards. Same if you rotate your wiring work (loaded pickguard, for example) 180 degrees and work from the other side. I've done things like that before.
matte30is
Gimme' head till I'm dead

Post by matte30is »

yeah Its not the jack wires. hmmm I wired it up exactly. I wish I had taken a picture before reinstalling it. Oh well. I usually play with the volume full on anyway.

now I have a kill switch like tom morelol.
iCEByTes wrote:V8 give me chills the sound of motor , the visual , oh man oh shit oh crap.