New Member - Standard Series Jagmaster Question...

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Marquischacha

New Member - Standard Series Jagmaster Question...

Post by Marquischacha »

Hi, new member here, was just wondering if anyone has any sources for the 2002-2005 run of Squier Standard Jagmasters? I can only seem to find the Vista series or the new Vintage Modified ones.

Any help?
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

a few people around here own them.

Dont know about any sites with info on em, but theyre the same as the current run except 25.5" scale neck, no-name cheap pickups and came in black (with black pickguard), red or silver sparkle. Build quality is generally considered lower than the current ones or the Vista series.

Any info you're specifically after?
Last edited by aphasiac on Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

What's with the huge rush of Jagmaster love lately? I haven't been around as much as I used to be, but whenever I do stop by there's always at least one new thread about jagmasters!
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Billy3000 wrote:What's with the huge rush of Jagmaster love lately? I haven't been around as much as I used to be, but whenever I do stop by there's always at least one new thread about jagmasters!
It's replacing the Telecaster as the next coolest thing on SS.org.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

I got 25.5 Jagmaster but I've had it 4ever. It's currently missing a neck and is in pieces. The neck went on the first Shadmaster, it was decent neck for Squier.

Poor neck, it got aug'd.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I have one, and I love it.

These are the Chinese ones we're talking about, yeah?
Marquischacha

Post by Marquischacha »

Thanks all. I used to have a 2002 CAR Jagmaster that got stolen a few years ago and i'm really craving another one that's exactly the same. Thinking of modding this one, so I can't be buying a vista, and the new series just look.. odd. I especially don't like the black ones.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

Marquischacha wrote:Thanks all. I used to have a 2002 CAR Jagmaster that got stolen a few years ago and i'm really craving another one that's exactly the same. Thinking of modding this one, so I can't be buying a vista, and the new series just look.. odd. I especially don't like the black ones.
The Vista ones are almost Fender build quality, and the necks were spare CIJ Fender Jaguar necks. They go for stupid £££ on ebay and they'll sound/play quite different, so avoid.

Whats wrong with the new ones? They look basically the same - if you replaced the white pickguard on the black & white one it would look exactly like the black 2002 version. But shorter neck and better pickups.

Ebay is your friend here - but you can still get the old chinese models from a few online retailers. Heres the silver sparkle version for £164.99:

http://www.hollywood-music.co.uk/acatal ... itars.html

Heres the same one but in red, like you lost, but £229 is a ridiculous ripoff:

http://www.bem-music.co.uk/list.pl?id=103595
Marquischacha

Post by Marquischacha »

I think i'd be happy to spend £229 for that, if I wasn't so broke at the moment. I'll keep an eye on that site though - i think the CAR Jagmaster is next on the list.

I don't think there's anything really wrong with the newer series (apart from the black ones - i don't know why i dislike those so much), but if i'm going to get one, i'd really like to get the same one I once had. It was that good.

I am also kinda worried that some of the bigger sites here don't really pay much attention to the different versions of the JMs. I don't want to be spending around £200 and find that they send me the wrong one.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=1660

One of these with a Black Scratchplate would be amazing I think.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

Marquischacha wrote: I am also kinda worried that some of the bigger sites here don't really pay much attention to the different versions of the JMs. I don't want to be spending around £200 and find that they send me the wrong one.
The new version is often referred to as the Squier Jagmaster II. You can tell which version it is by looking at the specs (24" scale) and also the colours. Check out this listing:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squ ... maste/1323

The specs they have is for the old chinese Jagmasters - but the choice of colours (black or sunburst) reveal they're actually selling the newer Jagmaster IIs.

p.s. please dont spend £229 on that guitar! they've intentionally jacked up the price cos of the rarity of the guitar, and should be punished by not selling it. i saw a black JM go for close to £100 on ebay a few months back - thats the sort of money they're worth.
TheBurbz

Post by TheBurbz »

Har har, that's the exact one I ordered and it's coming tomorrow. Those things look great, the short scale and big headstock just add to it's appeal.
Are you a Wizard?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

TheBurbz wrote:Har har, that's the exact one I ordered and it's coming tomorrow. Those things look great, the short scale and big headstock just add to it's appeal.
Which one, the black one I linked?
TheBurbz

Post by TheBurbz »

Yeah the one you linked, ordered it from Reidy's on Friday. It's a fair price, some places online are selling them for £259.99. Anyhow, sorry for steering the thread slightly off-topic.
Are you a Wizard?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Well it's shortscale, threads evolve. Good for you, you'll have to post some pictures and give us a review when you get it.

I've got stuff from Reidy's before - they're good.
Marquischacha

Post by Marquischacha »

aphasiac wrote: please dont spend £229 on that guitar! they've intentionally jacked up the price cos of the rarity of the guitar

are the 2002-2005 Jagmasters really that rare now?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

No. Just get a new one, like. They're cheaper!
Marquischacha

Post by Marquischacha »

Yeah, think i'll have to. I really wanted one of the CAR ones. And truth is, i'm too much of a lazy bastard to refin one of the new ones.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

the CAR isn't that great looking in my opinion. My band mate Gareth has one (although he only plays his MIM Tele Thinline these days), and it wasn't all that pretty.
Marquischacha

Post by Marquischacha »

I'm not the greatest fan of CAR, but I loved it on my Jagmaster. I've already got too many 3TS guitars, and the black body/white guard of the other one makes it look tacky.