What do you look for to confirm a mustang is actually 1964

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Dex

What do you look for to confirm a mustang is actually 1964

Post by Dex »

I have seen a bunch of pictures but havent seen it in person yet but I have been talking to 2 people about their two supposed vintage mustangs one is a rough looking 64 and the other is a 65 with a "Butterscotch body . 3-ply B/W/Tortoise pickguard"

The asking price for the rough looking one with the stripped finish is $850 but if it actually a 1964 Mustang I will be able to pay it however I want to be sure it really is a 1964 and not something made in the 70s or 80s.

The 65 I havent seen pictures of yet but will probably go to see it in person this week they are saying best offer for it so not sure what kinda price they are looking for but I want the same info on how to tell what year it is.

Here are some pics of the "64"

I figured some of you guys would have some things that would tip you off to whether it was actually vintage or a reissue
Last edited by Dex on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Ask for pics of the butt of the neck.
MutantParty

Post by MutantParty »

saw it in half and count the rings.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

if that is a '64, it is very late '64. like december or something. most '64 mustangs should have clay dot inlays. otherwise, it'll be later. though that definitely looks mid-60s to me.
like mike said, ask to see a picture of the butt of the neck, there should be a stamp that'll remove all confusion.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:if that is a '64, it is very late '64. like december or something. most '64 mustangs should have clay dot inlays. otherwise, it'll be later. though that definitely looks mid-60s to me.
like mike said, ask to see a picture of the butt of the neck, there should be a stamp that'll remove all confusion.
You guys know a lot more about details and transitions and stuff than I do. Marshall amps is my forte. i'm a bit lost with shortscales other than the fact I like them.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

that is not an original neckplate. a real one should have a serial no. stamped in the back. which would also help you date it, but wouldn't be as accurate as a neck stamp.
like my jaguar has a neckplate dating it to '61, but it's stamped october '62. fender was crazy like that.
the original from that mustang is probably on someone's strat somewhere.
purplehaze19x

Post by purplehaze19x »

Tuners dont look original either, should be white. Like Mike said, ask for the date stamp at the end of the neck.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

uuuuuh

this thing is a fucking parts stang.

end of story
dots wrote:incesticide
Dex

Post by Dex »

And a parts Stang definitly wouldnt be worth more than what it would cost to get a new RI Mustang eh?

$850 is pretty steep for a guitar that looks that beat if its not all numbers matching or whatever term you guitar gurus use and that beat up with the finish stripped off then it isnt worth that much Im guessing.

Im still waiting to see some pics of the other one with the "butterscotch" body would this be a blonde? Hopefully it doesnt look like someone gave to a 6 year old to play with around the back yard or something like the other one.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Dex wrote:And a parts Stang definitly wouldnt be worth more than what it would cost to get a new RI Mustang eh?

$850 is pretty steep for a guitar that looks that beat if its not all numbers matching or whatever term you guitar gurus use and that beat up with the finish stripped off then it isnt worth that much Im guessing.

Im still waiting to see some pics of the other one with the "butterscotch" body would this be a blonde? Hopefully it doesnt look like someone gave to a 6 year old to play with around the back yard or something like the other one.

no this isn't blonde. its poop brown.

fender did make poop brown colored guitars in the 70's though.

i doubt its fender poop brown though

looks like some guy just ripped off all the good paint, went to home depot and searched the deck stain isle until he found poop brown minwax
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

a 73' "mocha" strat
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Get a pic of the stamp on the butt of the neck, and of the pots and pickups. Also, as bubbles and rob have said, it looks to be parts 'cause of the neck plate not having the serial number. The '65 one should also have white button tuning pegs.
Dex

Post by Dex »

robroe wrote:

no this isn't blonde. its poop brown.

fender did make poop brown colored guitars in the 70's though.

i doubt its fender poop brown though

looks like some guy just ripped off all the good paint, went to home depot and searched the deck stain isle until he found poop brown minwax
That one I showed pics of is varnished or something the butterscotch one I havent heard from the guy since friday havent seen pics yet, must have went away for the weekend or something hopefully this one isnt junk and best offer doesnt mean insane price.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

mustangs from that year came in three colors

red
blue
white

anything brown, butterscotch, green, rainbow, black, pink or anthing else aren't worth as much.

now this is just opinion on this specific guitar you have posted (and i love mustangs, i own 2) but i wouldn't pay over 100 dollars for that guitar. its ugly, its got repro tuners, its really ugly, who knows what kind of re-wire it has going on under the pickguard, who knows what pickups are under the covers, and its ugly.

if you parted it out you could get 100 for the body and upwards of 250-300 for the neck. 15 bucks for the tuners if they are in good condition.

its just alot of work, and at 800 bucks its a money pit.

OR

you might like poop brown, the pickups could be spec, you could make it sing and it could be your #1 guitar. that would be the better story. the guitar is worth what it means to you in the long run

to each his own
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

i'm guessing the "butterscotch" one is just aged white.
and a refinished partstang is only worth $700 tops. $800 if you really like it.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

or you could buy this one brand new for 700.

Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

That's pretty but come on 700 is wayyyy too much for a new Mustang. At least it's not 1300 like those American made Jaguars. That's a god awful price for a new non custom shop Fender.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

If they actually cost $1,300 here in the UK that would be a fine price for the AV Jaguars and Jazzmasters, as it is they cost £1,300 / $2,600.

$700 for a Mustang that good is a good price.
Dex

Post by Dex »

Yeah if this "butterscotch" 65 turns out to be junk or overpriced I will go for a brand new RI Mustang in Olympic White with the red tortiseshell pickguard. But I have my fingers crossed that its a real 65 in olympic white faded to a butterscotch.
I hate that Daphne blue or Lake Placid blue or whatever they call it there is one in stock at a local store. I can handle the ocean turquoise, sea foam green and all those other weird colors the jazz masters and jags come in but that baby blue makes me cringe. I despise that frost look pickguard as well its on my Cyclone and I really wish it was just plain white or something. However on most guitars the red tortise shell seems to be where its at.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

let me get this straight, you just said you hated ocean turq, daphne blue, and any sort of light blue or green?
you better run for hills buddy.