Jag feedback.... (replacing pup + more questions) -

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

othomas2

Jag feedback.... (replacing pup + more questions) -

Post by othomas2 »

Sorry for the questions again, feel like a proper noob.

Have recently got my replacement classic 30 and whilst in my room rehearsing it has been feedbacking. Not the usual wishful feedback, but a high pitched squeal which isn't stopped by touching the strings for example.

I've done a little research and it could be a case of the pickups/guitar being too microphonic ? recently suffered the same thing with my jagstang playing live which was a pain. Had to bump up the volume via the desk into a monitor.

I have googled these problems and they suggest a few things...

- Turn volume down about 1/4 (which controls it)
- Remove some treble (which controls it)
- have pickups wax potted.

Should mention, this is also on the bridge pickup only, on my CIJ jag - stock pickups. Have been thinking about changing the bridge pickup, which could eliminate the problem ?? - as I understand a more common issue with single coils. - thinking about a jb jr for instance.

Whilst I'm here, would a noise reduction pedal (or similar) control feedback or is this just general noise in particular ?

Looking for some advice here... don't want the same prob to occur again when playing live, even though this would be a completely new setup. Looking for a variety of options.... anyone incurred a similar issue ?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
O
Last edited by othomas2 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

CIJ Jags are hideous for feedback, I just don't use any distortion with mine, and keep away from the amp :/ Never had the same problem with my Jag-Stang, though.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

WUUUT?

Dude, hook up with some AV jag pickups or maybe those seymour duncan quarter pounders. blah blah.

my clyclone II has the AV and it's awesome.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

as an owner if an avri and a jap, i can say that the jap pups are rather squeely,
the americans tho, they are great.
i love them.
honestly i would try and seek out a set on ebay or something.
i loved the neck pickup in my jaguar, and with the rythm section!!!!
it was pure heaven.
damnit i still miss that guitar.......
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Just paint "SONIC VENGEANCE" on your guitar, and go with it.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i've heard if you wax pot the pickups in those cij's, the 'phonic feedback diminishes. short of that, just replace them. what you've got in there stock is okay, but once you get a really good set of pickups on there, you'll really appreciate the difference. . . and kill the squeals. 8)
suede

Post by suede »

turn off the pickups when you're not playing... 8)
I'll see you in hell with the rest of the trash
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

yes that is called microphonic feedback. Cheap non-potted pickups are prone to it, and the jaguar is especially because the metal pickup claws seem to exacerbate it.

You can:

- get your current pickups wax potted. if you're happy with the current sound, this would be the cheapest option. a guitar tech will do it for around £10 a pickup, or you can do it yourself (though bit dangerous - google for instructions).
- buy new pickups. The Fender Jaguar American Vintage reissue pickups come wax potted, and sound great. Seymour Duncan jaguar pickups are "vacumm potted", whatever that means. Some people complain they still get microphonic squeel with the SDs, and removing the jaguar claws solves it. I have quarter pounders + claws in my jag, and no squealing, it sounds amazing.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Cheers for the info chaps, some interesting points raised.

I think I'll go down the route of upgrading to a SD Quarter Pounder.

Are these just a slightly beefier / higher output jag pickup ??

- Going to google them now.

btw, I love the sound of the neck pup as stock so that will stay in there, there aren't any issues either with this.

thanks
O
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

othomas2 wrote:Cheers for the info chaps, some interesting points raised.

btw, I love the sound of the neck pup as stock so that will stay in there, there aren't any issues either with this.

thanks
O
Yes 1/4 pounders (SD SJAG-3) are very high output with loads of bass and mids, but they still sound like a single coil and they still allow your Jaguar to sound like a Jag. The clips on the SD website do not give a good reflection of how the pickups sound, so dont rely on those!

Sticking one in the bridge would be a really good move - i found the bridge pickup on it's own unusable with japanese pickups, as it was so trebly and low output. Quarter pounder makes it sound really nice.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

P.s. you live in the UK? I have a pair of brand new SJAG-3s that im gonna stick on ebay. £30 per pickup.

Just waiting for the next 10p listing day
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

I'm in East London - Isle of Dogs ;)

It's a free listing this weekend... :D

O
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

I'd be interested in one for the bridge... do they just slot inside the existing jag cover ?

Don't you need the heightened pole pieces ?

Also, why you selling them ?

cheers
O
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

othomas2 wrote:I'm in East London - Isle of Dogs ;)

It's a free listing this weekend... :D

O
It's only free for listings that start at 99p! I live in West London - maybe we could arrange something :)
othomas2 wrote:I'd be interested in one for the bridge... do they just slot inside the existing jag cover ?

Don't you need the heightened pole pieces ?

Also, why you selling them ?
SD actually say to install them with no covers - mine have no covers on. But yes apparently they can be squeezed into the existing covers (confirmation anyone?).

The pole pieces are flat cos the magnets in these pickups are so powerful, it doesn't matter if they're a few mm further from the strings!!

Reason for selling - i bought em new off ebay to put in my Japanese jag. I then bought a second Jaguar that already had Quarter Pounders installed, so i sold the other one and now i have a spare pair of pickups.
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

I've got QPs neck and bridge.
You'll fit 'em in under the stock covers ok.
The pole pieces sit under the cover ie.e not flush.
Doesn't affect the sound.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

You can control that bridge pup with a gate effect, most multi fx have them.
But to be honest, that pickup is so meh you may as well swap it out. I've wax potted them myself before but like i said its a bit pointless.
I've tried atleast 5 replacements, my favourate is the QP because it keeps the Jaguar trademark sound but handles high gain really well, its noiseless and also fits with the 'claw' and pup cover (unlike single coil size humbuckers).
I have a black JB Jr you could have for cheap, but it wont fit in the claw.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

othomas2 wrote:Cheers for the info chaps, some interesting points raised.

thanks
O
good choice. i have an av jag, but if i ever had a cij, i'd do the qp in the bridge for sure.
ludger

Post by ludger »

[quote="Fran"]
my favourate is the QP because it keeps the Jaguar trademark sound but handles high gain really well, its noiseless and also fits with the 'claw' and pup cover
/quote]

+1

I've got 'em in mine.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Should be collecting a quarter pickup tonight which is cool... :D

As I understand the pickup will fit into the existing jag cover... but what about the claw ??

Isn't that stuck to the stock pickup itself ??

Would I need a new claw to fix to the quarter pounder or can the other be remomved ??

Or is it best without it all together ?

Is the wiring for the QP a direct copy to what's already in there ??

cheers
Owen
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

othomas2 wrote:Should be collecting a quarter pickup tonight which is cool... :D

As I understand the pickup will fit into the existing jag cover... but what about the claw ??

Isn't that stuck to the stock pickup itself ??

Would I need a new claw to fix to the quarter pounder or can the other be remomved ??

Or is it best without it all together ?

Is the wiring for the QP a direct copy to what's already in there ??

cheers
Owen
The claw is soldered to the original pickup - you have to unsolder it. The Quarter Pounders have a little bit of silver wire on the bottom that you then have to solder to the claw - its for grounding i think.

You can keep the claw on, it looks cool and apparently affects the sound slightly (this is a hottly debated subject amongst jaguar owners) but its not really needed. It's up to you really.

Yes the wiring is a direct copy of what you have now. The pickups come with a wiring diagram in the box, you can also use this:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wi ... tic=jaguar