does anyone own a 30" scale bass?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

robert(original)

does anyone own a 30" scale bass?

Post by robert(original) »

does anyone here own a 30' scale bass,preferebly something liek the batz bass or the bronco bass by squire.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

My old bassist has a fiesta red bronco bass that we used to dick around on back in the day. It was his first bass and eventually was replaced by a MIM Jazz Bass.

To be honest, I didn't like it. When I think of a bass, I think of thumping lows and little attack. This thing just sounded like a guitar in the bass register. Admittedly, my buddy ended up replacing the single coil pup with a p-bass pickup and it did sound a bit better afterwards, but still not to my liking.

It'd be a good bass for the guitarist who just wants to have a neat little bass to modify I guess. It plays like a guitar with robroe-gauged strings. :)
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

this is why i want to get super light 40-95 bass strings for my new jazz bass. i want to try and capture that sound of the bronco/mustang/musicmaster bass with it
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

talk to aen. he got a bronco not too long ago
dots wrote:incesticide
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

Sparky wrote:My old bassist has a fiesta red bronco bass that we used to dick around on back in the day. It was his first bass and eventually was replaced by a MIM Jazz Bass.

To be honest, I didn't like it. When I think of a bass, I think of thumping lows and little attack. This thing just sounded like a guitar in the bass register. Admittedly, my buddy ended up replacing the single coil pup with a p-bass pickup and it did sound a bit better afterwards, but still not to my liking.

It'd be a good bass for the guitarist who just wants to have a neat little bass to modify I guess. It plays like a guitar with robroe-gauged strings. :)

honestly? all the shortscale basses fender makes have sounded like that to me for some reason. maybe it's the pups...but the reason i sold my mustang bass was because i just couldn't dig with the lack of bass thumpiness.
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

I played St. Jimmy's thing for about 15 minutes once, but can't really comment on it as it was only 15 minutes or so and etc... Before I really give a comment on something I like to have set it up/inspected the setup myself, put my own strings on it etc. Pretty though.

But I had an Epi EB0 copy... it wouldn't thump but it would rumble... More like I say it would mud. The pickup was so high slapping was impossible, it's probably pretty stupid to only put a neck humbucker in a 30" scale mahogany bass. I'm not sure if the scale was the worst thing about those, but DAMN they look cool... It was fairly resonant however.

In my last band I played some sort of Ibanez 30" thing for a while, its failing was mainly being made of an absolutely dead piece of agathis, but regardless it was a horrible bass. Shortscale basses are probably not as good of an idea as shortscale guitars... But I'm sure there's one well constructed enough out there to do the idea justice, I just haven't played it.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i aen got one, im asking cuz we are thinknig of turning his batz bass into a bass Vi
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Billy3000 has a Music Master bass, and I think Lightrail does too. Defo roachelle, she had a mustang bass for a while, prolly still has it.
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

More Cowbell wrote:Billy3000 has a Music Master bass, and I think Lightrail does too. Defo roachelle, she had a mustang bass for a while, prolly still has it.
Hellll yeah I have both

Pls ignore ugly background:

The Mustang is definitely my favorite bass. It's comfortable, sounds great, and since the frets are smaller, you can play faster and people with smaller hands find it more fitting to their needs. For me, it doesn't lack the bass thumpiness you guys are describing. I can see how it can have less sub woofing bass sounds that say a P or Jazz bass, but it is very versatile. Simply putting the lows at a higher volume solves the bass problem for me. On the other hand the Squier Musicmaster is lacking in the bass department. I'm considering getting a new pickup for it.

If you want to know what the Mustang Bass sounds like, I use it for the entire Swing Hailey album. See the "Mechanical Thinker" or "Junkie Monkey" from the compilations.

U guys want a shortscale bass demo?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Nuffing ugly about that.

Sure we want Demo!
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

I had a Univox Hi-Flier bass that was awesome, I traded it or sold it to someone here, but I can't remember who. WHO HASIN' IT?!
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

roachello wrote:
Pls ignore ugly background:
Are those leg lamps like in the movie A CHRISTMAS STORY?
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Yea like cowbell said, I have a '78 Musicmaster bass. It's nice as hell, I played a couple different musicmasters and mustang basses and they all sound great! I don't know what you're talking about with it lacking bass thump. They both sound pretty much like a P bass to me, a little bit brighter sounding, but still just as punchy, and bassy, and they can both get some mean ass growly tones out of them!!
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

Sloan wrote:I had a Univox Hi-Flier bass that was awesome, I traded it or sold it to someone here, but I can't remember who. WHO HASIN' IT?!
you sold it to me...thing was pretty beat up...and all the pots probably need to be replaced...if not the pups too...the tuners were kinda shot too, so it needs new tuners...the neck felt pretty good though. if i ever get around to putting the work into it, maybe my opinion of shortscale basses will improve...
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

my school has an early 70s P-bass and a Univox hiflyer bass. i prefer the hiflyer, cuz its easier to play, and its a quirky old guitar. i may convert one of my guits into a bass or something. probably not.
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

St. Jimmy wrote:
Sloan wrote:I had a Univox Hi-Flier bass that was awesome, I traded it or sold it to someone here, but I can't remember who. WHO HASIN' IT?!
you sold it to me...thing was pretty beat up...and all the pots probably need to be replaced...if not the pups too...the tuners were kinda shot too, so it needs new tuners...the neck felt pretty good though. if i ever get around to putting the work into it, maybe my opinion of shortscale basses will improve...
D00DZ!
I loved that bass so much.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

Sloan wrote:
St. Jimmy wrote:
D00DZ!
I loved that bass so much.
i think it got kinda fucked up in shipping. when it got to me the neck was almost totally off the thing. i didn't tell you about it cuz i didn't wanna bug you about it. i'm not pissed about it...it just needs some TLC is all. no big deal dooder. if i didn't burn my fingers every time i turned on a soldering iron, i'd replace the pots and see how much it helps...like i said, it's nothing against you, just needs some lovin' is all.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

:cry:
What assholes.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

Sloan wrote::cry:
What assholes.
no worries man! i'll get it figured out sooner or later, and then poast peeks of its triumphant return to rockatude.