'72 Tele Deluxe

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Carter

'72 Tele Deluxe

Post by Carter »

I've been thinking about getting one of these, but the price has me a bit overwhelmed. I can afford it, but it's still a lot.
What's everyone's opinion on it? Is it worth the $700 price tag? I've read mixed reviews on it. Some say it's the most versatile thing they've ever played, and some say the pickups are dirt.
It sounded great when I went to Guitar Center and played it, but I'd like to hear some other opinions on it.
mewithoutus

Post by mewithoutus »

absolutely. when mike gets here, he will tell you exactly why the deluxe is worth every penny.

welcome to the boards.
rich people say fuck yeah hey hey
heavium wrote:grow a bat army in my room and train them to attack when someone comes in
Mike
I like EL34s

Re: '72 Tele Deluxe

Post by Mike »

Carter wrote:I've been thinking about getting one of these, but the price has me a bit overwhelmed. I can afford it, but it's still a lot.
What's everyone's opinion on it? Is it worth the $700 price tag? I've read mixed reviews on it. Some say it's the most versatile thing they've ever played, and some say the pickups are dirt.
It sounded great when I went to Guitar Center and played it, but I'd like to hear some other opinions on it.
Well the most important thing is how you feel about it, and the price. I personally think the pickups sound great - they're not your traditional humbucker sound - and with 1meg pots they are really opened up and have a nice sparkly top end. In my opinion the neck is the most comfortable one I've ever played - I like thick chunky necks and the 70s Deluxe C profile fits neatly in my hand.

Here is a video I made of it with my Orange Tiny Terror:
[youtube][/youtube]

I think the build quality is great, I'm a big fan of the MIM Fenders.
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

The guitarist in my band uses one... I think they make a really good all rounder/workhorse guitar as you can do most things with them and they are sturdy enough to stand up to all types of band abuse... like Mike says, teh neck is fairly thick, but if you've tried one and you're happy with the size then you should go for it...

Here's him using it at our last gig...

[youtube][/youtube]
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

DO WANT SO BAD.

Feels awesome in my hands. Sounds great, the neck is beefy like crazy, and the bridge is trebly enough, not something you get on most HH guitars.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
RumorsOFsurF

Post by RumorsOFsurF »

DO IT! They are totally worth the money. You can find them on the fleabay for less, if you shop a while. I've seen the black ones go for around $450-$500. Aen's right, the pickups are perfect, especially the bridge. Still bites like a Tele should. I usually don't even like hambackers, either.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

RumorsOFsurF wrote:DO IT! They are totally worth the money. You can find them on the fleabay for less, if you shop a while. I've seen the black ones go for around $450-$500. Aen's right, the pickups are perfect, especially the bridge. Still bites like a Tele should. I usually don't even like hambackers, either.
+1

i'd say do it. they are great guitars; quality, look, feel and sound. get a used one for some extra mojo.
i used to have a MIM deluxe and loved it, all of it. then i got the chance to buy an original one for about the same price (even a bit less, but i was lucky!) and sold the reissue. but there's really not THAT much of a difference between the two. if you really want to, do a search here and i posted a thread comparing the two, up-close and personal, so to say.

man i gotta learn how to record, upload and post some videos. i'd love to show (off) and review some stuff for you guys!

Pat. :oops:
my name is Pat.
RumorsOFsurF

Post by RumorsOFsurF »

I wish I had a decent camera, as I'd love to post some youtube demos. I'm going to record some clips of my new Deluxe RI today, and try to upload them somewhere....Stand by.