Line 6 Stompbox Modeler

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

aphasiac

Line 6 Stompbox Modeler

Post by aphasiac »

Yowsers:

http://uk.line6.com/stompboxmodelers/index.html

Looks like a cool bit of kit - direct pedalboard replacement. kinda like the Boss ME-50 or ME-20.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

I KNOW, RIGHT? It's 75 effects, which is about fifty less then the higher end BOSS stuff, but I think the quality is better and the switching is certainly easier.

I really want one, but I have a feeling it's going to be about $600.
analogsystem

Post by analogsystem »

Is it all 4 of their big modelers stuck together? I guess they run about $250 each so there are some savings but that thing just looks too big for what it does. If I want a pedalboard, I'll build one.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

That is the coolest thing Line 6 has ever done.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

It's a huge horrible piece of shit.

Every guitarist who uses one will sound like every pub rock fretwank loser in the history of mankind. 75 soundalike effects, any innovation and uniqueness swamped by a surfeit of choice.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

It may end up being shitty, but you have to admit, it's the coolest Line 6 thing ever... rite?
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Damn straight! I'll damn Line 6 with faint praise :)
paul_

Post by paul_ »

It's a cool idea but it reminds me too much of those pete cornish boards. I doubt I'd feel like replacing all my cool pedals with one too.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
light rail coyote

Post by light rail coyote »

I've never heard anything by line 6 that I really liked at all
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

analogsystem wrote:Is it all 4 of their big modelers stuck together? I guess they run about $250 each so there are some savings but that thing just looks too big for what it does. If I want a pedalboard, I'll build one.
yes its their 4 modellers (distortion, delay, looper, filters) all in one board with a few extras (LED lit footswitches, true bypass, effects loop send/return).

It's actually smaller than it looks - this thing is only as big as 2 of their big modellers, which in turn were like double pedal sized. this'll fit on your pedalboard.
timhulio wrote: Every guitarist who uses one will sound like every pub rock fretwank loser in the history of mankind. 75 soundalike effects, any innovation and uniqueness swamped by a surfeit of choice.
odd critisism - you're saying its bad because it was too many features/effects?!
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

aphasiac wrote:It's actually smaller than it looks - this thing is only as big as 2 of their big modellers, which in turn were like double pedal sized. this'll fit on your pedalboard.
Those jack sockets on the back show it to be not so small.
Shabba.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

aphasiac wrote:odd critisism - you're saying its bad because it was too many features/effects?!
Yes, absolutely. It lacks focus or a defining sound or characteristic. It gives you a mishmash of sound identical to a multitude other guitarists. With 75 effects, how could you possibly make a sound your own?
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

James wrote:
aphasiac wrote:It's actually smaller than it looks - this thing is only as big as 2 of their big modellers, which in turn were like double pedal sized. this'll fit on your pedalboard.
Those jack sockets on the back show it to be not so small.
yeh i think you're right. it's the size of 2 Line6 DL4s, which are pretty big but not outrageously so (its the green pedal on this board)

aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

timhulio wrote: It lacks focus or a defining sound or characteristic. It gives you a mishmash of sound identical to a multitude other guitarists.
you could apply the same arguement to all pedals surely? A RAT always sounds like a RAT - so does a big muff and and say the Boss DS-2. Are people wrong to use those because they're familar sounds that other guitarists have used?
timhulio wrote: With 75ou effects, how could you possibly make a sound your own?
By combining effects to make your own unique sound?! more effects = more options to sculpt your own tone. i dont really get your point here.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

No, if you use a rat or a big muff, there are so few variables that in time you effectively master the pedal, know it intimately. You know exactly what it's doing in your signal chain. It becomes part of your sound. However, when people buy these huge multi effects they can never know every nuance, are swamped with possible sounds and thus their guitar playing live becomes a tedious melange of effects everyone has heard a before from a hundred pub bands with multi effects boards before them.
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

wow, judging the quality of a band from the pedals they have on the floor

wow

just wow.
everything is not going to be alright
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

I'm in the middle of the road on this one, although I would most definitely want analog overdrive, period.

I got rid of my DL-4 because of the annoying bypass that cut out the output signal when changing parameters, but liked it otherwise. It was also big and heavy, but I imagine Line6 would get a lot into that new thing for the money/size/weight.

I'm also not a fan of digital effects in general, but some guy put up this shot of Johnny Marr's no-nonsense setup from a 2007 Modest Mouse gig, which was curious. A solid analog lineup: Menatone overdrive, SIB vibrato, and Diamond compressor...and a heap of digital effects for the spacey stuff courtesy of Boss/Roland. I never liked how much of the GT-5's "Boss-sim" effects sound, but the swells and synthy chimes etc. are fun and this hybrid setup simply makes sense in my mind:

Of course Mr. Maher's best analog effects are presently his Jag and his fingers.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

deadonkey wrote:wow, judging the quality of a band from the pedals they have on the floor

wow

just wow.
So if a guy takes the stage in ripped jeans, a denim jacket and carries a Les Paul, you're telling me you wouldn't roll your eyes to the heavens in anticipation of that first Gary Moore-a-like bend at the 12th fret of the high E string? I would.

Also, if a guy takes to the stage with a Dunlop Wah, a Boss Blues Drive, and a Fender Stratocaster, I'd do the same again.

On the other hand, if I spot an EHX Micro Synth, a Mooger Fooger and a Foxx Lovetone on somebodies board, I'm interested before they've struck a note. TRUE STORY.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

ekwatts wrote:
deadonkey wrote:wow, judging the quality of a band from the pedals they have on the floor

wow

just wow.
So if a guy takes the stage in ripped jeans, a denim jacket and carries a Les Paul, you're telling me you wouldn't roll your eyes to the heavens in anticipation of that first Gary Moore-a-like bend at the 12th fret of the high E string? I would.
motherfucker, can you read?

wow

just wow.
everything is not going to be alright
drasp

Post by drasp »

The DL4 is fucking killer. It's on more of my favorite bands boards than just about anything I can think of. It's also a wicked-simple looper & fantastic for everything from pretty delays to crazy noise-making.

This new super-box looks okay, but I don't have any need of it. I'm quite happy with my analog dirt/fuzz boxes + 2x DL4s. Doesn't seem like it'd be any fun to plug into & just be done. I like having a bunch of different shit to trip over. . .