Just bought an EHX Holy Stain and an Orange Micro Crush.

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

ekwatts
A series of tubes

Just bought an EHX Holy Stain and an Orange Micro Crush.

Post by ekwatts »

What the title says. The Holy Stain is alright, the Micro Crush is also good, not very loud. No demos or pics until I have some SPARE TIME. Too much revision and coursework to do. Soz.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Well, fuck yers all, then.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Got your student loan on Monday, then?

I rather naively passed one up this year, thinking I'd work instead, because I'm only a part time student, which meant I had a few months off before Christmas.

So fucking hungry.
boyecho

Post by boyecho »

BacchusPaul wrote:Got your student loan on Monday, then?

I rather naively passed one up this year, thinking I'd work instead, because I'm only a part time student, which meant I had a few months off before Christmas.

So fucking hungry.
this is where i'm at.

i scrounged up a buck to buy six packets of Ramen whilst waiting for my student aid.

hahaha.

holy stain is okay. not amazing. and the micro crush series are cute for practice amps. has headphone outs, yes? if so, then i think it's quite worth it.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

what do you think of the holy stain? I heard the reverb is quite awesome. have you tried the pitch bend with an expression pedal?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I still don't get why EHX only made the pitchshifting like a 4th up or down or something- if they'd made it an octave, I'm sure a lot more people would be interested.

And the fact the "clean" setting is still kinda dirty? Hmmmmmmmm, EHX. Hmmmmmm.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

The 'clean' issue bothered me also.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Yeah, there's like a constant "crunch" thing going on, but I quite like it. Sitting in front of the Micro Crush with my Dano, playing through the reverb on the Stain sounds just like Bossanova Pixies. The actual distortion section itself is pretty good, too, and I was in need of some kind of overdrive. But yeah, the reverbs are pretty nice, and I'm not usually all that hot on reverbs. In fact, one of the reasons I got this pedal is for the reverbs and the trem effects, as I've never actually owned any dedicated pedals for those effects, so it's an opportunity to mess about with them, which I've never really had outside the rather generic effects you normally get on multi-fx. I recommend the Holy Stain just because it's got quite a little bit of character. I'll probably buy an expression pedal today, at some point, so I can mess about with the Pitch-shifter on the fly, too. I'm not bothered about octaves, I have a (motherfuckin') POG, yo.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Doog wrote:I still don't get why EHX only made the pitchshifting like a 4th up or down or something- if they'd made it an octave, I'm sure a lot more people would be interested.
i've always wondered about that on electronic eq's. is the software for the full octave that much spendier?
tribi9
Administrator

Post by tribi9 »

ekwatts, does your Holy Stain volume go up noticeable high when you switch the dirt to "Fuzz" from either "clean" or "drive"?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The way the holy stain does pitch shifting plays more with timing than actual digital pitch shifting. I don't know what's technically going on in the circuit but you hear a slight tremolo when pitch shifting's on, and if you make the pitch go up, speed of the trem goes up, and vice versa. I'm thinking this is why it only goes up a 3rd or down a 4th. furthermore the pitch shifting is completely polyphonic. Also if it's on wet 100% it has a slight delay to the pitch shifting
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Pretty much all pitch shifters do. It can't KNOW the note you're going to play right when you play it. Those would be called psychic computers, adn they would be the doom of us all.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Nah, this is a bit longer, seemed like almost a whole 1/4 second. If you get the chance to play one you'll see what I mean. It's kinda hard to explain...it's like speeding up or slowing down a record, it'll go up in pitch if the trem speed is faster, or down if it's slower.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Same deal with the pitchshifting from any Boss or Roland product I've used, I guess it's the limitations of a realtime polyphonic pitchshifter?