I have to try to save it...Done 10/12

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

markocaster

I have to try to save it...Done 10/12

Post by markocaster »

I went to the guitar show here in the SF bay area today. lots of sweet guitars all too much for my wallet...but...I saw a sad lonley looking fender mustang body, from the 70's ?? he says. it has been horribly routed all the way thru the body Shocked Rolling Eyes But I think I can save her??? I hope I can save her . I am thinking of routing the cavity about 1/2 way doen and cutting a piece of wood to glue in and fill the hole??? May be in over my head but for $30 its worth a try. The 2 channels under the bridge look like they have been routed by hand, could it be a duo sonic or music master ???????? It has a crap refin so I am going to start by stripping it.
any advice would be appreciated and anyone got any old mustang parts laying around they wanna get rid of?? cheers Mark

Last edited by markocaster on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

That's the worst routing I've ever seen.

Fill as much of it as you can with glued-in wood blocks, then fill the gaps with Quikwood (Link).

Refinish, add neck and stuff. It is savable - ANYTHING is savable.
Reece

Post by Reece »

Wow.

Why would anyone do that to that poor mustang.
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

DuoSonicBoy wrote:That's the worst routing I've ever seen.

Fill as much of it as you can with glued-in wood blocks, then fill the gaps with Quikwood (Link).

Refinish, add neck and stuff. It is savable - ANYTHING is savable.
That, or you can do a super strange but strange enough to be cool? pickguard for the back to cover it up.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

you could put secret knobs and stuff on the back. might be a little inconvenient, but it'd be super cool.
Reece

Post by Reece »

Holy shit.
DOUBLE SIDED GUITAR.

Get two necks and glue them together.
SORTED.
markocaster

Post by markocaster »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:you could put secret knobs and stuff on the back. might be a little inconvenient, but it'd be super cool.
or a secret compartment to hide weed in :shock: :shock: :shock:

its a schocking thing they did but going to try my best to fix her up. and maybe go daphne and tort :D
Last edited by markocaster on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Thinline!
Yell Like Hell
suede

Post by suede »

DGNR8 wrote:Thinline!
WINNA!!
I'll see you in hell with the rest of the trash
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

If you really wanted to save it...your gonna have to route down half way around the edges of the hole to give it a inner lip for a piece of wood to rest on, then trace it out, then cut a wood piece that will fit down in it, prolly glue and screw it into place against the lip, then use filler, like bondo (see lightrailcoyote) and you'll be set and ready to re-route pup routes, etc. Thats what I would do.
markocaster

Post by markocaster »

More Cowbell wrote:If you really wanted to save it...your gonna have to route down half way around the edges of the hole to give it a inner lip for a piece of wood to rest on, then trace it out, then cut a wood piece that will fit down in it, prolly glue and screw it into place against the lip, then use filler, like bondo (see lightrailcoyote) and you'll be set and ready to re-route pup routes, etc. Thats what I would do.
thats exactly what I was thinking.
speaking of cowbell have u seen the iphone download app. for cowbell, u tap the screen and it plays a cowbell sound and has Christopher Walken's voice saying I need more cowbell. stupid but funny :wink:
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i think you should go for active electronics. i think you might have enough room there to fit a 9 volt in
dots wrote:incesticide
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

...or a car battery.

Luck.
markocaster

Post by markocaster »

Thinline it shall be, going to plane down 1'4" off top and bottom and add veneer to it after routing yet more of the guts away, will Fit a trem bridge but alter it / fasten it down so the trem wont work, should weigh very little when done. going to be a project and a half but hey its fun :)
markocaster

Post by markocaster »

:D
Reece

Post by Reece »

I don't know why...

But I like it.
markocaster

Post by markocaster »

it is a wee bit odd. but for a trashed body, I think it can become something fun.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

How surprised must that guy have been to suddenly start seeing his nuts through the hole. I am certain somebody that crazy must have been routing in teh noodz.

I can't believe that anyone would allow you to KEEP routing, but it's already halfway there.

Or hell, look at Rickenbacker.
Yell Like Hell
markocaster

Post by markocaster »

Well this is where I am now. Decided to forget the thinline and get it back to how it would have looked. Got an original 1966 mustang neck of peebay for a steal.
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

Nice, show the back, hehehe
If you think of god as a pair of pants, a spiritualist thinks he needs pants, in fact he wants pants but none of the conventional types of pants seem to fit just right, so he makes his own pants and is happy that his knees are no longer cold.-fibus