Listen to this mix and be constructive.

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Sloan
Sexy Predator

Listen to this mix and be constructive.

Post by Sloan »

Ok.

This past week, I tracked my friend's new band.
It should fall under the modern hard rock genre (staind, disturbed, etc, etc, etc, etc, you know).

Anyway, I've done a few mixes and this one seems to be the most nice.

Listen on your system (comprutaz or whatever) and let me know what doesn't and what does sound right to you.

It's not entirely done, there's still a few rough parts that need cleaning up, but this "should" be close to the final product.

Thanks!
Last edited by Sloan on Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

My opinion would be:

Drums too loud and too compressed, spesh the snare and cymbals. Need more kick in the mix, whack of a bit of top end to make it cut through the mix a bit more. Try and get the snare and kick balanced out. I'd reign back on the hi-hats a bit if possible.

Guitars are quiet and bit nasty, seem to be a bit heavy in the 10-12k region.

Bass needs to be louder and the EQ tweaked so it fills the "hole" better, with the kick and bass currently buried, it sounds kinda empty.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Renton

Post by Renton »

all bass frequencies are too low in the mix. it's a treble fest with really compressed drums.

lacks some oomph
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

I agree that's there's not enough kick and the compression on the drums is too harsh...
The vocals were a little bit dry for my liking and could maybe use a bit of EQ...
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Coolz.

I've noticed the lack of bass.

The phones I'm using to mix really hype the low end A LOT and it throws me off quite a bit. I haven't got a nice pair of monitors or speakers for mixing so it's a lot of guess work.

The drum stuff is difficult because I only tracked snare, kick, and two overheads. The snare is *mostly* coming thru the overheads so I'm just using it's mic to add some "meat" to the snare.

I'm lovin' the constructiveness of this topic.

I'll be back with some more mixes later...
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

ROUND 2:

I've addressed some of the aformentioned problems.
Hopefully this one is close to done. I'm getting sick of this song!!!
Last edited by Sloan on Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Much better!

I'd put a little bit of 'verb on the snare, its just a little bit too dry, and raise the highs and lose some mids from the kick drum.

Maybe put a little bit of high end into the cymbals so they don't lose their cut too much. Ditto the vocals.

Apart from that, it sounds a lot more balanced now.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Doog wrote:Much better!

I'd put a little bit of 'verb on the snare, its just a little bit too dry, and raise the highs and lose some mids from the kick drum.

Maybe put a little bit of high end into the cymbals so they don't lose their cut too much. Ditto the vocals.

Apart from that, it sounds a lot more balanced now.
Cool.

I did one more mix after than one and cleaned up the lows and low-mids a little bit and I think that's gonna be the final one. I'm burning them off compies as well. This ended up working out much better than I thought as this is the first real band I've recorded besides me messing around by myself or acoustic stuff.

Thanks for the feedback youse guys!!!
Hoptebmah

Post by Hoptebmah »

Achtung!!
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Hoptebmah wrote:Achtung!!
what the hell?!!!
this is an old post..

but anyway, I ended up doing 18 different mixes until i got what I think I liked. They liked it too.