Pinksquire Evolution 2008

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Pinksquire Evolution 2008

Post by ultratwin »

Good on www.guitarpartsresource.com for shipping my requested parts package in less than a week, arriving without issue whatsoever. Mustang saddles and bridge cover, parchment Esquire guard, and a few other goodies. Spent a few hours measuring and drilling the Pink Tele like mad to try to do what Ultra isn't supposed to be able to do, and I'm fairly happy with the mess. Here's what went down:

- Ripped out TV Jones Classic Filtertron and B5 apparatus

- Drilled holes for Bigsby B16 that has been sitting around for the past year...Many mistakes going unseen!

- Added parchment Esquire pickguard

- Shimmed neck with 3 folded business cards to accommodate sky-high compensated floating bridge

- Rocked out Jesus-style this afternoon

The news:
The tension with .011s over the break angle isn't as bad as I thought, sustain is decent, but there is some serious sliding across the bridge that is going on, which has prompted me to think about what my tech friend might do to file in some TOM-style saddle grooves. By the way, the string clearance is mad high, I could bow the thing like Jonsi all day if needed, although it's now a spanking pink bad ass Esquire and won't have the needed neck p'up for the time being. Tuning and intonation are really stable, given how the floating bridge actually rocks as the strings move together over with the bridge, although the trem itself is stiffer than that of a B5 (a bit of an unexpected surprise), with less practical movement as well. Is fairly comparable to my Jazzmaster's present trem setup/feel.

Tonally, the flat angle does produce some chimey vibrations between the strings and the bridge itself, but not like the rattle of grub screws or sooper low string action. The Nocaster p'up is gutsy and just bright enough to do its bridge position thing well, although it's very different from a plinky Tele twang, and gets colored a bit from the slightly post buzzy-attack + blunt sustain-producing floating bridge in what I reckon is a Django/Gretschy sort of inherent twang. I had to adjust the pickup height a bit to maximize tone and position(after above pics shot), but the funny thing is that I haven't drilled the pickup crew holes yet, since the bobbin top fits snug in the B16 casing...Which is just plain weird.

All in all, the B16 is a weird deal with a fresh feel that began to grow on me all day, although I wouldn't recommend it to those who simply want a vintage-looking fatass toilet handle'd Tele and none of the baggage. Personally, with some saddle grooves filed in, this baby is going to get some heavy mileage for sure, as I'm already enjoying the sheer height of the strings above the body.

So what about the TV Jones and old Bigsby? Gonna get the B5 bridgeplate routed/chopped/modded to have another filtertron squeeze in for a B5 dual filtertron'd dual-bound semi-hollow (black? surf green? transparent orange? still haven't decided) baritone sometime soon. Until then, it's good times in the Ultrahousehold.

My Korean-Brit friend Jina was seriously chuffed(her words, not mine) over the thing as she twirled about with the thing in her pink one-piece, and had to take some kooky shots with it. She's quite a character, being a pragmatic London-born-and-raised Korean with looks that mimic a Manga girl. Two other girls enviously waited in line to get pics of their own, and the pink enigma ensued...

Image Image
arcadedave

Post by arcadedave »

Looks well done man, nice job ~(bravo)
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

you are going to pick up SO MANY chicks with this guitar
dots wrote:incesticide
benecol

Post by benecol »

That is a thing of beauty - I'd have a guitar like that.
TheBurbz

Post by TheBurbz »

Wow that's hot, the guitar is really nice too
Are you a Wizard?
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

I love that, I would totally flip the controls around. So that you can do bigsby bar bends and volume swells.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i have always loved that thing.
now i love it even more.
finboy

Post by finboy »

love it, i'd probably wouldn't even use the trem, it looks cool enough as a trapeze tail piece
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

jcyphe wrote:I love that, I would totally flip the controls around. So that you can do bigsby bar bends and volume swells.
Ah yes, the flipped option. We did that years ago when our old MIM Tele was in one piece, but a lack of dexterity ended up proving a volume pedal to be an easier deal altogether when it came to swells. The knob flip is certainly a more practical mod than others.

Image Image
finboy

Post by finboy »

nice pickguards, where did you get them if you don't mind my asking
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

That is amazingly awesome. Coolest looking bigsby.
If you think of god as a pair of pants, a spiritualist thinks he needs pants, in fact he wants pants but none of the conventional types of pants seem to fit just right, so he makes his own pants and is happy that his knees are no longer cold.-fibus
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

That pink tele is indeed a sweet piece of work.

Major Kudos!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

daaaaaaaaayyyyymmmmmm jiiiiiiiina

can we get some moar shots of Jina ?
dots wrote:incesticide
Richard

Post by Richard »

Very cool guitar.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

HOLYBONERHUNGER
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

finboy wrote:nice pickguards, where did you get them if you don't mind my asking
No sweat. Had a friend here make the Gumby head/Ronald Reagan slick for me, although the guitar body + above white guard is waiting to be docotor'd up, so I can give the whole deal to a friend of mine.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

robroe wrote:daaaaaaaaayyyyymmmmmm jiiiiiiiina

can we get some moar shots of Jina ?

Willaine on the right is from San Diego(born in the Philippines) and is basically Roachie away from home to me.
shae
teh koolsie

Post by shae »

That really does look ace Andi. The neck and bigsby on that thing is luscious.
Heck, even the stools look mighty comfy compared to my ones at Uni. :(
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Thanks Shae and folk.

I'm hoping there will be no more evolutions from now on. Dropping the bridge 1/8" makes it feels even better than yesterday, and I'm now thinking about putting on .012s for a little more violent twang.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

THIS THREAD IS AWESOME.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.