projects in the works

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

finboy

Post by finboy »

James wrote:
finboy wrote:Image
What the Dickens...?
odd, but hopefully functional, it was on ebay a few months back, a rickenbacker ripoff if you will.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

finboy wrote:
James wrote:
finboy wrote:Image
What the Dickens...?
odd, but hopefully functional, it was on ebay a few months back, a rickenbacker ripoff if you will.
kinda looks like...
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
finboy

Post by finboy »

right, so that acoustic went for $430, so it looks like i might try the ugly fake rick style headstock, should be interesting on a narrow 6 string neck
finboy

Post by finboy »

update on the malikaster v2.0, i talked to sub and he is dealing with the pick guard issue, please excuse the pics, a photographer i am not...

the contours i wanted aren't there, but i can have my luthier throw those on quick before it goes in for paint, the wait was long but hopefully the build goes a bit more smoothly. i'll leave you guys to your own opinions of the construction, keep in mind i asked for a raw body.
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

...I still think those Malikcaster bodies would look more... natural with uncomfortable, squared off sides as per a real Tele... The body just becomes too rounded and curvy with the radiusing, especially with the rounded, curvy Tele Bigsby plate/Jag trem (which are otherwise totally cool in any case 8)

But I guess you wanted contouring (and didn't get them, for some reason) anyway, I do think the contours will help the body look less fat...

Then again, who am I to judge... I made a completely stupid and pointless Jazzmasting Telecaster too. lulz. A bare wood body is always a relief after you've spent hours shaving off old finish, as well. So the guard is too short for the plate too, or is this spoken of issue something else? Wow.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

This from the people who said with Robert's work you were "losing out" somehow. That's an incredibly shoddy join.
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

I hope that's just a leftover pencil-mark or a trick of the camera... I figured he'd have mentioned if it was anything other, then again he posted a few pictures of that, didn't he.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Jagermeister wrote:I hope that's just a leftover pencil-mark or a trick of the camera... I figured he'd have mentioned if it was anything other, then again he posted a few pictures of that, didn't he.
He said "make your own judgements" which suggests to me he's clearly unhappy, and rightly so. That looks fucking ridiculous.

You can tell it's not pencil, I can see glue in it. It's just a really poorly clamped join. Well done, NoHo.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Did you ask for inlays? I think I'd be sending the body back if you did, or I'd offer to get your luthier to do it and send them the bill if they'd prefer that.

Shocking.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Bevel on the pickguard does not look constant. There seems to be a jagged edge to the bottom part. Why are they still burning the bodies when they route?

That glue line looks like the two bodies aren't even close to each other with a nice thick layer between the pieces. Possibly even a ridge that will require filling before finishing.

:S
finboy

Post by finboy »

it is a joint line that will need filling

they only did the body, the neck is warmoth and i ordered it w/o the inlays as warmoth does not have fender sized inlays.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

finboy wrote:it is a joint line that will need filling

they only did the body, the neck is warmoth and i ordered it w/o the inlays as warmoth does not have fender sized inlays.
How much did this cost you? There's no way I'd settle for this. It's not fit for purpose.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

They have no shame.
finboy

Post by finboy »

the cost was $225 usd, payed in full july second via paypal
Last edited by finboy on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Oh you are fucking kidding me
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Whats up with the pg not matching the control plate? Are making a custom one?
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I was thinking it wasn't so bad for a DIY job, then I saw the NoHo in the neck pocket. When you pay $225 you're paying professional prices. Is the pickguard/control plate error also NoHo?

If nobody has any objections I reserve the right to punch Aug in the face when I visit California.
Shabba.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

More Cowbell wrote:Whats up with the pg not matching the control plate? Are making a custom one?
I think they did it for a Jag control plate rather than Mustang
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

finboy wrote:the cost was $225 usd, payed in full july second via paypal
WHAT?

I'd be wanting the money back. Fucking, you gave them your money, and it took them SIX MONTHS, to put together a shoddy body? That is downright disgraceful.

Obviously, I hope the project goes well, and that it doesn't have any adverse effect on the final instrument, but that's ridiculous. I think you ought to get your money back, that's not on.
finboy

Post by finboy »

it was supposed to be the same style guard as the malikaster, like a jazzmaster with no plate, but sub is taking care of it