pictures of your guitars here

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

That can happen if you overuse the trem.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

No joke, put it on a foil covered baking pan and cook it on the middle rack at about 100c for 10 minutes or until it's flat. The pickguard that is, not the whole guitar.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Nick wrote:No joke, put it on a foil covered baking pan and cook it on the middle rack at about 100c for 10 minutes or until it's flat. The pickguard that is, not the whole guitar.
New relic’ing technique just dropped
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

benecol wrote:That can happen if you overuse the trem.
I think it’s a convenient place to store crackers and cheese in case you get hungry during a gig
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

sunshiner wrote:I'm still toying with the idea of building one, I even got a sheet of plexiglass to make a template. In 10 years time it'll be all done and finished.
You don't need a template to make just one. Print out the plan, if not on one sheet then 4 and stick them together with tape. Then trace the outline on the body blank. Use a bandsaw to cut the body.

You'll need templates for the pickup cavity and neck pocket, which you can get on aliexpress or whatever. The neck pocket templates are usually for bolt-on, but maybe you can make it work for the glued type. I would rout the neck pocket before cutting the body.

Routing the pots cavity is more tricky, not sure there are templates available, but I really don't know.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Fakir Mustache wrote:
sunshiner wrote:I'm still toying with the idea of building one, I even got a sheet of plexiglass to make a template. In 10 years time it'll be all done and finished.
You don't need a template to make just one. Print out the plan, if not on one sheet then 4 and stick them together with tape. Then trace the outline on the body blank. Use a bandsaw to cut the body.

You'll need templates for the pickup cavity and neck pocket, which you can get on aliexpress or whatever. The neck pocket templates are usually for bolt-on, but maybe you can make it work for the glued type. I would rout the neck pocket before cutting the body.

Routing the pots cavity is more tricky, not sure there are templates available, but I really don't know.
I don't have a bandsaw, I have a router. I've built bodies and necks before using my own templates. I've made two laminated mahogany necks which then warped because one of the three plies wasn't dry enough and kept moving and I made one maple neck. Which turned out meh. I've built bodies out of pine, they also warped because I was using wood from a hardware store which wasn't dry enough as well. The only problems with me building anything is my own fluctuating motivation, lack of proper lumber, including any kind of accessible hardwood, and the fact that I do my builds in a flat with neighbours all around me. They can tolerate only so much of screeching and roaring.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

kingkiller wrote:
benecol wrote:That can happen if you overuse the trem.
I think it’s a convenient place to store crackers and cheese in case you get hungry during a gig
You stash snickers and mars bars inside and then start throwing them into the crowd at the pinnacle of the night. That's instant success
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

sunshiner wrote:
Fakir Mustache wrote:

I don't have a bandsaw, I have a router. I've built bodies and necks before using my own templates. I've made two laminated mahogany necks which then warped because one of the three plies wasn't dry enough and kept moving and I made one maple neck. Which turned out meh. I've built bodies out of pine, they also warped because I was using wood from a hardware store which wasn't dry enough as well. The only problems with me building anything is my own fluctuating motivation, lack of proper lumber, including any kind of accessible hardwood, and the fact that I do my builds in a flat with neighbours all around me. They can tolerate only so much of screeching and roaring.
I actually have a bandsaw and a router. The blade broke about 2 years ago and I never bothered to replace it, although I can find one on olx, I think. Also never made a body because I have trouble finding a wood blank, and pine is what I wanted too.

And I might be more lazy than you. I have one body for maybe 15 years and never bothered to finish it. All it needs is a finish. I have attempted to stain it and screwed it up several times, then sanded it several times.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Yeah, I didn't even get to finishing, they started warping in front of my eyes, but I'm sure my attempts would've looked as if a five year old painted them. I can only use spray cans, so the colour options are limited with solid ones and it's going to be all blotchy af.

I am super lazy. I just had a big sheet of MDF at the time and making templates out of it turned out to be easier than I thought. I've tried an old particle board and that was a major PITA but the template ended up being much sturdier of course.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Bought this at the start of the first lockdown dud a fair bit of work to it - plays really well - put a set of flatwound strings on it last night - what a difference sounds fucking awesome in a black keys kinda way.
XY
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Got some tort for my Junior.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Dinotort Jr.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
dub

Re: pictures of your guitars here

Post by dub »

Swapped out the neck pickup on my LP so now they match a bit more both tonally and er, aesthetically.

The original gibson set are very famously mismatched, the neck 490R being a super dark and squishy (alnico II) and the 498T in the bridge being a very spikey (alnico V), both just leaning very heavily into their respective positions.
I've got a Duncan Distortion in the bridge, which has plenty of heft, but the 490R was just thick. Probably should have tried to brighten it up with pot value or something, found a cheap Pearly Gates for sale locally. I loved the soft and vintage alnico II sound, just needed more high end, and a hair less bass. Bit of faffing around with the heights and they seem to be working well together.

LPStudio.png
LPStudio.png (4.43 MiB) Viewed 3425 times
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Always hearing great shit about pearly gates in the neck, nice to know there's some truth to it
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Guitarist in my old band had them in the bridge position on his Epiphone Sheratons.
► Show Spoiler
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I picked this up recently, mainly for the silverburst colour, Ebony fretboard and deep C neck profile. The V-mod pickups are like a cross between hot Strat and Vintage P90 sound-wise. So nothing like the JM sound (but I have other guitars for that). I will be modding this to put the switch back in the proper place. I like to strin near the neck so it’s only a matter of time before the switch would drive me crazy. Since I’ll be routing it I’ll most likely pop a rhythm circuit back in. Pickups will stay for now tho I am tempted to install a humbucker or WR with an Antiquity P90 in the neck. I’ll live with it for a while first before making a final decision.

MattK

Post by MattK »

ayyooooo
NickS

Post by NickS »

Looks good. Does it play as well as it looks?
Personal pronouns he/him
MattK

Post by MattK »

Thanks! Nearly - I just gotta dial the action in a little closer.