pictures of your gear here

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Re: pictures of your gear here

Post by Doog »

Progrockabuse wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:05 pm
Doog wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:01 pm What's the bypass like on that drill set there?
That’s my son’s firefighting gear, because my tone was sooooo hot!! 😂😂

Though his favourite trick is switching my amp off and going “no! No!”

Classic firefighter banter
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

Doog wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:06 pm
Progrockabuse wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:05 pm
Doog wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:01 pm What's the bypass like on that drill set there?
That’s my son’s firefighting gear, because my tone was sooooo hot!! 😂😂

Though his favourite trick is switching my amp off and going “no! No!”

Classic firefighter banter
The second truck on scene at an incident where we need fire support is their crew support vehicle, which provides tea and coffee 😂😂 They are affectionately nicknamed water fairies and are relived when they turn up.

Police are fucking annoying when they are on scene, trying to get statements from someone whilst your trying to actually bag them and do chest compressions
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

Got one of the newer Octavio pedal on a cheeky loan from a friend. Wish it was the wedge style one as that was fucking savage when engaged.

I missed this and the fuzz face after the gear purge and wanted those sounds again.

Although I miss being in a band and jamming with others, I’m glad I can use whatever gear I want to not be forced to conform to the bands wishes for my sounds. My replacement seems to be being forced down that route by the band as he has a pretty much identical rig to what I was running back then. Very sad really.

Really want to use my Star Wars MBM but it could do with a service as the boost switch appears to not do anything anymore. Hopefully I can get it sorted and use it again fully.
Attachments
IMG_0741.jpeg
IMG_0741.jpeg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1496 times

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

Hello old friend, it’s been a very long time since you’ve been in action.
Attachments
IMG_0743.jpeg
IMG_0743.jpeg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 1463 times

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Yes!

How did you like the Octavio?
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

Thom wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:40 pm Yes!

It’s fucking nuts, in a good way. I had the original cheese wedge one a while back and very reluctantly sold it. I knew as soon as I sold it that the prices would go crazy and be unobtainable.

Same with the Hendrix fuzz face. I got the screamadelica one because it’s the guts out of the Hendrix one, but the primal scream one was a b stock and nearly £100 cheaper than the Hendrix one.

I watched a Tim Pierce video where he demonstrates the band of gypsys sound and he was using the octavio on that and it just reminded me how much i missed it. I tended to run it with the volume maxed into an overdrive and it just really shines.

Any recommendations for setting on the origin? Been a while since I ran it. I know to get it to distort it needs to be loud.

Keep toying with an sd-1 too

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Progrockabuse wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:25 pm
Thom wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:40 pm Yes!

It’s fucking nuts, in a good way. I had the original cheese wedge one a while back and very reluctantly sold it. I knew as soon as I sold it that the prices would go crazy and be unobtainable.

Same with the Hendrix fuzz face. I got the screamadelica one because it’s the guts out of the Hendrix one, but the primal scream one was a b stock and nearly £100 cheaper than the Hendrix one.

I watched a Tim Pierce video where he demonstrates the band of gypsys sound and he was using the octavio on that and it just reminded me how much i missed it. I tended to run it with the volume maxed into an overdrive and it just really shines.

Any recommendations for setting on the origin? Been a while since I ran it. I know to get it to distort it needs to be loud.

Keep toying with an sd-1 too
Awesome, that sounds great!

This is how I usually run my Origin:
IMG_3747.jpeg
IMG_3747.jpeg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 1418 times
When I go to practice I just crank the Master but don’t really touch the rest. With the Tilt and Presence low I find it gives it more of a JTM/Bassman feel which I like. Even with the Master up full it’s still pretty clean and very loud! I just use pedals for gain. Have had an SD-1 on the board since the day I got it - works brilliantly.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

That’s the vibe I’m after, I miss my JTM45 dearly and this was the closest compromise at the time. I’ll give those settings a spin.

I used to have an SD-1 years ago, think fran had it for while at some point. They appear locally quite cheap, so I’ll try and snag one at some point. Does it stack nice with pedals going into it?

Thanks for the settings :)

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

No worries!
I always have the SD-1 first in terms or dirt so kick in other pedals after it, which works really well. But it’s great just on its own too.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

Well, that was an eventful morning.

Plugged my Marshall in, go to power it on and off goes the power to all the sockets in the house. Unplug everything reset the RCD, plug just the extension lead in on it’s own, trips again. Try another extension lead with nothing else connected, trips again. Must be an issue with the sockets in that room.

Bring my Marshall downstairs and plug it in, all is good and no power tripping.

Used thom’s settings as a base, then tweaked a little to suit my strat. Decided to crank it, which sounded fucking glorious!!!! Though even on low power mode it’s still fucking loud.

Ran the fuzz face into the octavio then played around with some other things after it. The fuzz face does sound great through a clean amp, but it really comes into its own when running into a slightly distorted amp. Thinking of all those 60/70’s strat/fuzz/marshall tones, pretty much all of them were running into an overdriven amp.

So apart from getting the landlord to sort the power out in the office/bedroom/gear den, I’m looking at 3 possible avenues to go down.

1: get an attenuator to shave off some volume so I can use the origin cranked as a base sound. Think lazy bear make a 50 watt 16 ohm passive one for about £90 on evilbay

2: Run amp clean and get an overdrive pedal to use as my base always on sound to run behind the fuzz face.

3: fuck it and scare the cat/dog/child/wife/noise abatement with full tilt marshall rawk

Feels good to be able to play more regularly these days, I’ve needed it more than I thought, especially mentally.
Attachments
IMG_0747.jpeg
IMG_0747.jpeg (3.41 MiB) Viewed 1396 times

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

That sounds like a lot of fun!
My vote would be 2 for when the family are home and 3 when you have the place to yourself! :D
NickD

Post by NickD »

It will still be loud even with an attenuator, but my 18 watt is at least usable at home with it. Have you still got your old attenuator? You could get it fixed. It's worth getting one with treble boost on it, they suck a fair amount of treble out of the sound otherwise.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

NickD wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:43 am It will still be loud even with an attenuator, but my 18 watt is at least usable at home with it. Have you still got your old attenuator? You could get it fixed. It's worth getting one with treble boost on it, they suck a fair amount of treble out of the sound otherwise.
It just one switch I need to replace and then it should be good to go. I’ve ordered the switch, I’m just shit at soldering.

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
NickD

Post by NickD »

Progrockabuse wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:41 am
NickD wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:43 am It will still be loud even with an attenuator, but my 18 watt is at least usable at home with it. Have you still got your old attenuator? You could get it fixed. It's worth getting one with treble boost on it, they suck a fair amount of treble out of the sound otherwise.
It just one switch I need to replace and then it should be good to go. I’ve ordered the switch, I’m just shit at soldering.
If it's not PCB mounted then bring it over and I'll solder it if you like. Otherwise a TV repair man or similar will be able to do it for little money.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

NickD wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:37 am
If it's not PCB mounted then bring it over and I'll solder it if you like. Otherwise a TV repair man or similar will be able to do it for little money.
Literally as pictured, be a shame to ditch it as the mini mass is a great unit. I stupidly left it loose in the back of my open back Marshall cab I had at the time. When I came to use it it was broken, so must of gotten bashed in transit.
Attachments
IMG_20190522_111802_Original.jpeg
IMG_20190522_111802_Original.jpeg (636.55 KiB) Viewed 1319 times

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
NickD

Post by NickD »

Progrockabuse wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:06 pm
NickD wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:37 am

Literally as pictured, be a shame to ditch it as the mini mass is a great unit. I stupidly left it loose in the back of my open back Marshall cab I had at the time. When I came to use it it was broken, so must of gotten bashed in transit.
That's within my soldering skill set (which is pretty basic TBH) - give me a shout if you like once you've got the new switch.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Yesterday I pulled my solid state amp from its dusty corner and some dirt pedals, played them for a while and they sounded heavenly. I hadn't changed a thing, plugged in today and it all sounded like utter shit. Speaking of perception bias based on the mood.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

sunshiner wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:48 pm Yesterday I pulled my solid state amp from its dusty corner and some dirt pedals, played them for a while and they sounded heavenly. I hadn't changed a thing, plugged in today and it all sounded like utter shit. Speaking of perception bias based on the mood.
This happens to me all the time. One day the ears say yes, one day they say hell no.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Yeah, had I changed anything, I would've thought I'd lost some magic settings. It's fascinating how our mind/brain/ears work
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickS

Post by NickS »

I used to use an HH VS Musician solid state amp into an Altec 15" guitar-voiced speaker in an open-back cabinet. I thought it sounded fine. The other guitarist told me it sounded crap.

Mind you, he was trying to sell me his De Ville.
Personal pronouns he/him