westbury.

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

robert(original)

westbury.

Post by robert(original) »

ok, so, i know little to nothing about these things, got a call from the music shop.
they have one that came in.
looks cool, missing the 6 position switch, and the pots are all sorts of screwed up.
everything else seems og to me, but i don't know much about them.
im guessing its from the 70's just from the fretwear and how the metal has pitted, its heavey as FOOK!
but at anyrate.
could anyone drop a knowledge bomb on my head and tell me a bit about these things, i'll get some pics of it soon, i just gotta go pick it up when i have the time for it.
and also, anyone know what the 6 position is for and how its wired?
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

http://www.univox.org/guitars/gtrlist.html
this site seems to have some info. i know matt is obsessed with these things. and possibly fran?
robert(original)

yeah, i knew that fran had at least 2. and im pretty sure that there are a few other folks that have had one or two.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Yea I remember matt being a big fan of them. They had a beat to shit one in walnut at a pawn shop near me... from the looks of the ones on that website it was either a standard or deluxe. They wanted $99 for it, and I still kick myself for not grabbing it... that really was a cool guitar.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

I think MATT (THE WOLF) had two of them. I know he at least had one.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

He had two, one was a less elegant walnut finish version I think, the white one with Hommebuckers was substantially cooler.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I did have two rob, two standards. Matt and Billy (at JS) have both got deluxe models. Basically they were japanese made in the famous Matsumoku factory between 1979 to 1984 i believe, notoriously excellent quality like most stuff that came from that factory.
They both feature an 'austrian carve' around the edge of the body and the deluxe is almost a PRS before PRS.. same shape, set neck, all mahogany, coil tap, etc. The standard is flat body but still has the carve, the stock pickups on the standard were DiMarzio open coils in cream. Same as what kurdtz had in his Jag.
In the UK you are lucky to find a Deluxe but they still only sell for around 350 GBP, you can pick a Standard up more easily for between 150 to 250 GBP depending on condition.
These pair are the popular models but they did make other stuff, when you say "6 position" i'm guessing you are looking at one of the rare models or maybe a modified Standard/Deluxe. Remember, these were the days of active circuitry and onboard gizmos. I would love to see pictures!!

Anyway, bottom line is.... if these guitars were produced in todays market, considering the spec and quality you would be looking at 500+ GBP ($1,000). They truly are awesome and one of the few 'vintage secrets' left out there without stupid prices.

Let me know about this guitar dude, i am interested in this kind of thing. ;)
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

A nice example of a STANDARD rob.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

MATT SIGNAL?
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

This is the pair i had..

Matts is more like this but in white..

Is that the 6 position switch knob like that? Buy it rob!
Reece

Post by Reece »

I like the black one. I'd have to get some black rings and pups in there though to go fully stealth though.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Ok so matt had a white Deluxe and a brown/walnut standard, I guess. I never knew you had those, Fran!

Matt's white Westbury was soooo sexy, he needs to post pics pronto.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
robert(original)

its not for sale, its a repair job.
it looks identical to that deluxe model except its missing the 6 position switchy and the bridge is not that big.
none of the hardware is gold and the pups are different.
i guess i really just need to source a 6 position rotary knob and a schematic for how the thing is wired.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

paul_ wrote:I never knew you had those, Fran!
Aye, they had to go in the end. The only other guitar i had that was better from a playability and sound point of the view was a 1982 Yamaha SG, i truly regret selling that one.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Fran has had some proper sexy guitars. My fellow Ghostbrother Tim has a Westbury bolt on which I like a lot.
euan
Jesse
Neat

Post by Jesse »

I know that Vantage also did a series very close to the Westbury's.... I fucking LOVE them.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Jesse wrote:I know that Vantage also did a series very close to the Westbury's.... I fucking LOVE them.
Yeah, they seemed to be exclusive to the US market, i like them too but have never seen one in the UK.
Jesse
Neat

Post by Jesse »

Fran wrote:
Jesse wrote:I know that Vantage also did a series very close to the Westbury's.... I fucking LOVE them.
Yeah, they seemed to be exclusive to the US market, i like them too but have never seen one in the UK.
Really? That's quite unfortunate... I see them from time to time here, usually running around $350 each or so. I have yet to have the money available when I've seen one, though. :cry:
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Jesse wrote:
Fran wrote:
Really? That's quite unfortunate... I see them from time to time here, usually running around $350 each or so. I have yet to have the money available when I've seen one, though. :cry:
Aria Pro made a similar version as well. They seem the most common universally.
Fink

Post by Fink »

Fran wrote:

my friends got one of those in his basement except that 6 positition switch was replaced with three 2 way switches all the hardware on my friends is all pitted.