Nash Telecaster or 60's Epiphone Coronet??

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

soma89

Nash Telecaster or 60's Epiphone Coronet??

Post by soma89 »

Alright so I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these guitars but i just don't know which one to go for. Nash Teles are simply the best teles i've ever played and i originally saved up for one but now i'm really liking the 60's Epiphone Coronets (the ones with 1 p90 like a jr). I never actually tried out a 60s Coronet but I love p90s and i cant afford a vintage les paul jr so i gotta go with the next best thing. I'm going to spend a good amount of money so i don't wanna make a decision i'll regret, any suggestions?
Also does anyone have any experiences with these old 60s epi Coronet's? Thanks
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

I'd go for the real 60s Coronet rather than the relic Tele.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

yeah, 60's cornet all the way.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

You don't see coronets all over the place like you do a tele. CORONET
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

If you buy the coronet and do regret it, you'll be able to recoup your money if you dont overspend.
Shabba.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

James wrote:If you buy the coronet and do regret it, you'll be able to recoup your money if you dont overspend.
+1 for sure. You can find a tele anywhere in any color/style too. Go with the coronet. DO IT.
soma89

Post by soma89 »

Ya, i'm still deciding, but i'm caught in the middle. My original plan was to get a telecaster (my first tele) but i always loved p90s and a coronet i think is a very good option. The only thing i don't like about tyhe coronet is that a) I have never tried one out and b) i think they look ugly (but they probably sound amazing)

I don't know, i guess time will tell. Still gotta think about it tho. Again if anyone has experiences with any of the kalamazoo solid body epi's please share. Thanks!
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Nash guitars are alright, but when you take the price into consideration, they're complete shit. I've played one of every model I've seen, they've always felt slightly cheaper than Fender Japan quality. It's clearly the look that they've got going for 'em, not the quality of the actual guitar (can you imagine a guy building the nicest tele in the world just to dip it in muriatic acid?) I find them heavily silly... Fake fenders made by some dude, and relic'd to shit, for AV prices? That guy is just a mojo-centric old fart cashing in on TGP member types.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I say you shop around. Perhaps you might be best off having a tele built to your specs with a P-90 and get the best of both worlds. I've never played a 60's Coronet, but at this point, vintage guitars, especially budget models back in the 60s can be extremely hit or miss when they're 40+ years old. But say you found one that was perfect and solid, you're still buying a guitar blind in a market where return policies and trial periods aren't very commonplace. You might not like the trem/bridge, you might not like the neck shape, or weight/size of the body, etc, the list goes on and on. You might not even like the sound of the old P-90 compared to other P-90s you've played. Now if you're coming out and saying that you think it LOOKS ugly then that to me is a dealbreaker. Some people say it's tone first, then how it plays, then how it looks, but the reality is usually opposite. The first thing people notice about a guitar is usually how it looks. And then if you pick it up and it plays and feels good, the sound usually takes care of itself. And if it doesn't you can always swap out pickups.

If it were me and I was that undecided, I would just wait. You've clearly not made up your mind as to what you truly want and chances are you'll end up regretting anything you buy right now after some time
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

get a thin skin tele instead of the nash.
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:get a thin skin tele instead of the nash.
Rosewood Fingerboards on teles =NORMALLY FAIL

Rosewood Fingerboards on Surfgreen and CAR teles= WIN BEYOND KNOWN BOUNDS.

That tele is HOT.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Speaking of Coronets, http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-et- ... dZ91144087

I'm thinking 95 reissue?
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

the jimmy eat world telecaster JA-90 has p-90's but its built in korea. i think its like 6 or 700 bucks
Last edited by robroe on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

dots wrote:incesticide
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

robroe wrote:Image

F!......DO WANT....
soma89

Post by soma89 »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:get a thin skin tele instead of the nash.
That looks sweet, whats a "Thin Skin" tele anyways?
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

They're special High end fenders made specificly for Wildwood guitars. They are all nitrocellulose based lacquer, and are usually special interest guitars that the mainstreem buying world would have little interest in. Such as their beautiful 1962 Aztec gold Jazzmaster. These are arguable nicer than tha AVRI fender series. I havent played a thinskin so I dont know, but I do know they look awesome.
holyCATS1415

Post by holyCATS1415 »

coronet