fantastic furry Fredric Effects thread

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

I actually joined the jack legs on the other side of the PCB, but because I used a downloaded parts library for those jacks and didn't check the hole sizes carefully enough the holes were 1mm rather than 1.2mm. So in drilling the holes out the connections to the other side of the board were broken. Sux but that's why I only ordered ten of those prototypes. The proper boards should be here any day now, and I'm collecting the screen printed enclosures on Friday.

DIL sockets are proper cool. I'm thinking about using them for swappable circuit segments and shit in the future. That way however, madness (and the Devi Ever console) lies.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

New-style enclosures back from the printers! Now if those circuit boards would actually get here...

Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Looks rad tim!
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Cheers Brandon! The boards arrived, so here's one assembled!

Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

These look seriously tech, you're taking all this to the next level Tim.

Well done!
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

That looks really pro! You should sell the 3dpt + jacks pcb, looks soo good and I don't think no one sells one like that
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Cheers dudes. I'm getting the hang of board-mounted jacks. Here's the final prototype for the new Klon buffers. Everything just slots into place:

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

No decals?

(the important detail that my critical and discerning eye catches when I'm looking at pedals)
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

It's a prototype to make sure the new boards and enclosures play nicely together. Now I've approved this box the metalwork guys will make 100 for the first production batch, which will be a nice blue and have screen printed artwork. None of my stuff has used decals for a few years now.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

You've come a long way since the "stencil and spray paint" Grumbly Wolf I bought of Noirie years ago.

This is proper pro. I keep expecting to see your stuff in magazines now. Other boutiquey builders sometimes pop up and there stuff isn't as "proper" looking.

Hurry up and do that so's my Grumbly Wolf's worth thousands!
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Yeah, the UK guitar mags are dickheads, and they'll remain dickheads until they do a nice double-page spread on Fredric Effects. But srsly, I send them press releases when I release a new pedal the same as various websites etc. Premier Guitar in the US has been great, and I've been in the mag twice and on the website a few times I think. Websites just stick a press release up verbatim, which helps anyway. You'd think UK-based guitar mags would be at least a tiny bit interested in manufacturers from the UK (I mean, there's not that many) but I guess they're too in hock to their advertisers. And the corporations are all corporation-y...

The next thing I need to do is get these in more stockists in the UK. Pedals n Pickups seems to have given-up the ghost, and Vintage and Rare in London has closed, so once my missus Stacey goes part time I'm going to be more of a sales dick, visit more shops and press the clammy flesh.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Perhaps it's a matter of them not giving coverage to domestic builders for free because that's exactly what they're selling. A write up in a UK mag would be worth a lot to your business so I doubt they'd give it away.

Dunno, maybe I'm being cynical/confused about how it all works.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

No, you're completely right. They're not operating a public service, and they only exist to keep the advertisers happy, because ultimately that's who pays the bills.

A guy I know says Fredric Effects were in TapeOp (US studio nerd mag) not long ago, but I can't find the issue unfortunately.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Word of mouth is where it's at these days
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

In fairness, they must be getting it tight, the guitar magazines. I used to buy two or maybe three a month but I've bought only one in the last four years or so and it was begrudgingly at an airport.

Same as all print media, I suppose.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I'm glad Guitarist is dying, it's a crap magazine.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Vintage and Rare have reopened under a new name, or at least another shop is in it's place. I don't know if trying there would be worth it, it's calleed NO TOM or something.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

New demo by Christian out of Datsuns and Magnetic Effects. This guy can play!

[youtube][/youtube]
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Here's an up to date group shot of everything I currently build. Actually built this lot twice this week for two new stockists, as well as keeping on top of regular orders. Seriously looking forward to a few days off in Berlin next week!

Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

i think i need one of your klones tim, not sure which one to go for though.
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST