mustang saddly

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

benwalker

mustang saddly

Post by benwalker »

ordered some mustang saddles for the jaguar off fleabay - thinking of taping the posts up so it doesn't wriggle either.. first time i'll have touched the jag in this way apart from replacing a busted switch..

have most other people done this - i know it's fairly common - but does it seriously have that much of an effect?
my signature goes here
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I would have had you down as a Trem user? I've left my Jaguar stock, I'm going to try the classic bridge for it and see how that works with some set up, but I'm liking the TOM, it holds tune well.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

yeah, I love the trem - taping up the rocking bridge wouldn't prevent it from working would it? more interested in stopping the bridge from moving to get some intonation sorted, than hindering my deliberate wang bar action...
my signature goes here
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Fran, Hurb and Doog are the real Jag/Jazz trem geniuses here but I thought that rocking the bridge was part of how the trem is supposed to work... taping the bridge to lock it's position might cause string breakage or the strings to not slide back into position properly, I think they are supposed to stay in place on the bridge saddles and the saddles pivot with the strings. Maybe you need a higher gauge string, are you using 11s?
benecol

Post by benecol »

You are right young Mike - the bridge rocking is all part of the plan. If the issue is intonation, is the bridge returning to a different position each time you use the trem? If so, a nice halfway house setup tip is to lean the bridge right back (towards the trem) to intonate it. That way, the bridge still rocks when you push down on the trem arm, and if the intonation goes out, you can just quickly push the bridge back with your hand 'til it's back in position. Or use 12's. Or not worry about a tiny bit of intonation so much.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

ja. i was just going to (finally) swap the saddles over but wasn't sure whether taping the posts would having much impact wrt trem use.

side note, where did you get the pedalboard velcro from? mines finally had it and needs replacing, badly..
my signature goes here
benecol

Post by benecol »

Me? Lions Art Supplies in Birmingham.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I got Heavy Duty shit on ebay. You could mend HOUSES with it.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

The bridge on my Jag is taped and doesn't affect the trem or tuning at all when it's used.
benecol

Post by benecol »

tsst
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Meh, blame Gavin, I bought it from him years ago and it came with the posts taped and I've not needed to adjust it.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

tut tut.

To be fair i was going to put roller saddles on the JS TOM to help aid the Jag trem but i have'nt had problems yet.. but saying that i dont gig the guitar. I can imagine a hours worth of heavy trem use could result in string breakage due to friction on the saddle.
Some people complain they knock/push the rocking bridge out of place when they palm mute, i've never had this problem and cant see any point in taping it up.

Is the TOM set without roller saddles on the mim Jag Mike? Im sure the Mascis Jazzmaster has roller saddles.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

It doesn't have roller saddles but it seems to work great. Some of the stuff we're doing recently (Mountains by Biffo Clyro in Db/Ab/Db/Gb/Bb/Db) and my use of the Trem these days is really putting the bridge through it's paces. I've been impressed. Going to give Johno's Jag bridge a go to see how that works out also.
vincel

Re: mustang saddly

Post by vincel »

benwalker wrote:have most other people done this - i know it's fairly common - but does it seriously have that much of an effect?
I tape my bridge posts, but only because I never use the vibrato. As others have noted, if you do use the vibrato and the bridge cannot rock then the strings may drag over the saddles.

I also used to do the Jaguar for Mustang bridge swap, but as my strings got heavier I found the stock Jaguar/Jazzmaster bridge to be less of an issue.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Mike wrote:It doesn't have roller saddles but it seems to work great. Some of the stuff we're doing recently (Mountains by Biffo Clyro in Db/Ab/Db/Gb/Bb/Db) and my use of the Trem these days is really putting the bridge through it's paces. I've been impressed. Going to give Johno's Jag bridge a go to see how that works out also.
Cool stuff. Will be interesting to know how that goes.
Have you demo'd that MIM Jag bridge yet? May be worth getting that on there dude, its still fairly unknown territory for a lot of Jag users.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Whatdayamean demoed the bridge? I've made demos of the guitar, like. One through the Tiny Terror and another through the JCM800.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Mike wrote:Whatdayamean demoed the bridge? I've made demos of the guitar, like. One through the Tiny Terror and another through the JCM800.
I meant more attention towards this new bridge set up rather than a whole guitar demo. See how it stands up to abuse etc, mind you, dont bother. You will just get inundated with kids asking you can/how to fit a TOM on their CIJ.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

haha.. NOOOO

I'll do a tremolo demo at some point.
jamieb

Post by jamieb »

My bridge doesn't move at all when I use the trem but doesn't have taped posts. Are we talking about a very small movement in the bridge or should it visibly rock forwards and backwards.

Its position is either dead centre or, with a considerable push, it moves backward toward the trem.