Great score on a used guitar at GC yesterday...

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

avj
A Select Individual

Great score on a used guitar at GC yesterday...

Post by avj »

Okay, so fuck Danelectro/Evets because of the Prop 8 stuff, but this guitar was $99 and lessened by a $25 promo card they sent me in the mail for buying some stuff (EHX Pulsar, on sale for $59 at the time) on President's Day.

It's a DC 59, which I believe was reissued from 1998-2001. (Perhaps a more-knowledgable Dano person can school me on this.) I cleaned it up and retstrung it with some 10s and it sounds great. I've always wanted one and was considering buying the Dano 63, but went sour on them after reading about Ridinger's donations. I have no remorse for buying this, as my money isn't going to them -- not to mention it was a sweet deal.

The only thing that sucks is the strap buttons. They're tapered and seem to be held in by the same magic that holds the strings in on an acoustic guitar, but they feel like they'll come out with any great rockin'. I was thinking of using good ol' 3M 3501 epoxy to keep them in place.
Last edited by avj on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

It's nice. This was one of the 90s reissues, wasn't it?
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

Yeah, I believe they reissued these from 1998-2001. There was a 59 DC "Pro" too that had a plain non-colored headstock and an intonatable bridge. I expected to have intonation issues with this, but I have found it to sound good even with weird voicings high up on the neck. It actually stays in tune great too, which was another big concern.

I edited the original post to have this info too, as I totally forgot. Thanks.
Last edited by avj on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Haze

Post by Haze »

i'd be afraid of something like that, because it's pure awesome, yet the bridge gives me the he-be-jee-biez on intonation
shame the ceo [or whatever] at dano is a cunt, still great products though
FitzG

Post by FitzG »

Is that paint transparent or is it just the lighting
I've always loved Dano's
hotrodperlmutter wrote:i'd be like, alright guitar lets rock!!!

and he'd be like, nah bro, lets fucking get high and have some beers and talk about pussy, and i'd be like COME ON BITCH, and then he'd start crying.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

75 bucks and second hand you'd be a fool not to do it.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

Haze wrote:i'd be afraid of something like that, because it's pure awesome, yet the bridge gives me the he-be-jee-biez on intonation
shame the ceo [or whatever] at dano is a cunt, still great products though
the wood bridges are fine, just a good, simple design.
benecol

Post by benecol »

What he said - thay are ace.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

FitzG wrote:Is that paint transparent or is it just the lighting
I've always loved Dano's
I think it's just the reflection of the floor. I believe the official color name is "Commie Red".

And yeah, as I said, I fully expected to deal with some level of intonation wonkiness because it just has that sound, but it seems pretty solid.
the isaac eaton

Post by the isaac eaton »

I love that color on dano's

re minds me of my own

I wish that they made the newer ones with the coloured headstock though. mines just black. Boring.
Last edited by the isaac eaton on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

Beatnik Burgundy*

IDK why everyone worries about Danos staying in tune - I've got 3 now and they stay in tune great. All different strings, too - 11 flats on the '57, 11 rounds on the 1448, and 10s on the RI. The wood bridge is my favorite design. It's fast to restring and you never break strings. Intonation wise, you can get it almost perfect. My '57 is perfect on 4 strings, just 3-5 cents flat on the low E and G. 1448 needs a new saddle, but is just a bit flat on the G and D as-is.

That's a great deal on a great guitar!
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

the isaac eaton wrote:I love that color on dano's

re minds me of my own
The image linky is broken.
DuoSonicBoy wrote:Beatnik Burgundy*

IDK why everyone worries about Danos staying in tune - I've got 3 now and they stay in tune great. All different strings, too - 11 flats on the '57, 11 rounds on the 1448, and 10s on the RI. The wood bridge is my favorite design. It's fast to restring and you never break strings. Intonation wise, you can get it almost perfect. My '57 is perfect on 4 strings, just 3-5 cents flat on the low E and G. 1448 needs a new saddle, but is just a bit flat on the G and D as-is.

That's a great deal on a great guitar!
I stand corrected on the color; thanks!

You were exactly the person I had in mind when thinking of another Dano-head here, but I couldn't remember what your nick was. Any ideas on keeping the strap buttons in place? I was just going to epoxy them in.
the isaac eaton

post fixed!
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

Epoxy is probably best - they are just wedged in IIRC. Or pull them out, dowel the holes, and put on metal ones (may do this to my RI).

Just don't do what everyone used to do a screw in metal buttons next to the plastic ones - I see that waayyyyy too often and it's about the worst looking thing EVAR.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I have a DC12...similar problem with my strap buttons....I replaced them with schaller strap locks....filled the button holes with toothpicks and just screwed into them. It might not be totally secure but it hasn't come out yet and it's sure as hell way more stable than the plastic pins.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

Awesome ideas. I have the Schallers on all my other guitars, and I hadn't thought of doweling the hole. That may just work perfectly.

I can't believe anyone would screw in other buttons next to the existing ones -- what a mess.

Isaac: Nice! Did you add the P-90 yourself?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Great buy man, congrats.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

waut. that is an dea.ls
cur

Post by cur »

Wow great deal. I saw a U2 RI at GC for 150 the other day, but I already have one. If you just totally hate the bridge, you can get an intonating one here:

http://www.danguitars.com/Parts.html

My brother was freaked out by his old school rosewood saddle, so I got him one for xmas and it was a quality part.
the isaac eaton

avj wrote:
Isaac: Nice! Did you add the P-90 yourself?
No I had a local store do it. I figure why would I possibly fuck it up when i could have someone else fuck it up? But yeah its actually put in there perfectly.