1976 Mustang on ebay, $699 BIN or Best Offer

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

astro

1976 Mustang on ebay, $699 BIN or Best Offer

Post by astro »

Here's a cheap 1976 Fender Mustang on the 'Bay. It's got a $699 BIN, but the seller is accept "Or Best Offer" proposals. So you can try your luck with low balling him

LINQUE

Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Thats a fucking beaut
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I love the look of these but I'd have to try a 70s Fender before buying it, which is a shame cos there are bargains to be had.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

same as mine and i loves it.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

personally, i don't like naturals... and i hated all the mid/late boatanchor'stangs i've ever had.

but... well if you dig it, go for it!

Pat.
my name is Pat.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I think it's just harder to find the good ones. Stewart seems to love his, and the late 70's MM I had was great (and light). There are a lot of bad ones though so like I said it's not the kind of thing to buy on ebay.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

sold for $640, not bad...

...anyone here?

Pat.
my name is Pat.
astro

Post by astro »

I hope a shortscaler got this!

The 1976 I used to own was fantastic, not a thing wrong with it. I only sold it because I preferred the scrawnier meck of my CIJ mustang.
Reece

Post by Reece »

i love astro's mustang.

it's my comfy guitar to come home to. plus it basically covers all my needs.

MOAR SHORTSCALERS NEED MAPLESTANGS.
Last edited by Reece on Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

That is gorgeous! Not a bad deal, but I agree, wouldn't buy it without playing it first.
luke

Post by luke »

I've got a maple stang! Since when did 70s Fender guitars became more unreliable than Squiers?
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

squiers don't cost $699
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i've got three 70s fender guitars and one bass, all bought sight unseen and they're all great, nothing wrong with them build-wise.

if you bought one and it was a lemon, sell it on, there's obviously a market for them.
Maik

Post by Maik »

... is it ash?
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

indeed.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

How is the neck on yours? I have small hands so some guitars feel too unweildy for me (like the Tele deluxe with the strat head's 12"). The stang I tried out in CC on Otago st was one like yours but from the other end of the QC spectrum. I was glad to see it in there and it was in great condition. Sadly it was probably only in such good condition because it had hardly been played. It was a real dog, proper "made it myself in the shed out of assorted crap" quality plus it had the huge baseball bat neck so it felt even worse to me. The guitar shop was selling it for around the same price as a Japanese reissue, that speaks volumes in itself.

I just hope that I can find one at some point that I really like but I think most people that have a good one would keep it. For the price the one at the top of this thread went for I'd say it was worth a punt for whoever bought it.

As for the shoddy workmanship, well thats not exclusive to the 70s, there are some proper 60s stinkers out there. The 70s stuff just sticks out/gets picked on more because of the wood sourcing issues so you end up with really heavy guitars.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

the neck's quite chunky, but i've never had any problems with it, and i've got small hands too. the neck on my compstang is slightly chunkier than the maple one, it's about as big as i could comfortably play. they're both C shapes for sure. my 78 musicmaster is smaller feeling.

as for weight, the ash one is pretty hefty but that's something i find reassuring rather than being a crybaby about. my friend has a late 70s strat that's much heavier, and even that wouldn't bother me if i had to play it.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'd love to snag one at some point, though I'd still want to try it first (unless it was uber cheap or a trade).

There are quite a few A width necks from the late 70s. That's what my natural MM was and it was the perfect combination. It was a little heavier but combined with the skinny neck it was just right. I liked that guitar so much that it pushed out my '65 Mustang.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

stewart wrote:i've got three 70s fender guitars and one bass, all bought sight unseen and they're all great, nothing wrong with them build-wise.

if you bought one and it was a lemon, sell it on, there's obviously a market for them.
That is true... it's not like you couldn't turn around and sell it for exactly what you paid if you weren't pleased with it. The majority of the 70's fenders I've played have been great guitars, and my '78 musicmaster bass is amazing! The only reason I said I wouldn't buy one without playing it is because of the one '75 p bass that I played that totally lacked any character at all, it sounded, felt and played like crap.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Re: 1976 Mustang on ebay, $699 BIN or Best Offer

Post by dots »

astro wrote:Here's a cheap 1976 Fender Mustang on the 'Bay. It's got a $699 BIN, but the seller is accept "Or Best Offer" proposals. So you can try your luck with low balling him

LINQUE

would