My 60's Fender Shortscales...

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Dice

My 60's Fender Shortscales...

Post by Dice »

Hey guys! I'm new here - and somewhat new to short scales (1 year?). I was always a Les Paul guy before that. I still love my LP's, but nothing cuts through the mix like a Fender, and nothing is more fun to play than a 60's short scale!

So this is what I've got:

My addiction started w/ this target burst '65 Jaguar. They're pretty pricey usually, but I found one that had been routed for humbuckers underneath the original pickguard, and had been rewired (pots and caps still original). This guitar has handwound Novack pickups in it, the original finish throughout, and almost all original hardware (upper bout control plate and trem arm are repro). I paid LESS for this guitar than I would have for an American Vintage Reissue by about $500 - and it has the original hard case which is in great shape!

Next, I came across a little red '64 MusicMaster in a pawn shop. It is the short short 22.5" scale, but I have found that it is very comfortable to play while I'm lounging around in my recliner. I've written most of the new songs that my band plays on this little guitar. It sounds great, as well. I take it to jams and band practices, but haven't gigged it due to the small upper register being difficult to solo on. This guitar is 100% all original. Got it cheap as well, w/ the OHSC.

Recently I picked up this white '65 Fender Mustang. It was a studio guitar at "Pilot Recording Studios" - who have recorded some greats. None of my heroes, but some that are up there (Joey Ramone, Taj Mahal). This guitar is all original other than the knobs and pickup covers. The tort guard has shrunk so much that I couldn't even get pickup covers installed at first - I had to file and sand these down until they fit. The knobs are stuck on there - damn they're ugly! I've got Mustang knobs ready to go on, but I'm worried about ruining the pot to get these knobs off. I've pried and everything... no budging. This one I picked up for the same price as a new Japanese (ahem... poly finished) reissue and the cost of a hard case combined. I'll take the vintage one any day!

Anyways, I'm looking forward to being a member at the forum here. I've lurked for a while, waiting to get activated! :D

And, pix - in random order:

With my '69 Gibson Les Paul

Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

That jag is amazing, welcome to the forums!
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Dice

Post by Dice »

Thanks! The Jag is a keeper, for sure. It is in great shape other than the "invisible" issues!
FitzG

Post by FitzG »

Christ
you make that jag look like a toy!
awesome collection though
hotrodperlmutter wrote:i'd be like, alright guitar lets rock!!!

and he'd be like, nah bro, lets fucking get high and have some beers and talk about pussy, and i'd be like COME ON BITCH, and then he'd start crying.
Dice

Post by Dice »

FitzG wrote:Christ
Thanks much. A lot of people have said that the Jag looks small on me... I'm 6'1 or 6'2 (depending on the day, it seems) - not that big, really!

Here is another shot w/ it:

Dice

Post by Dice »

Victory! Some genius had superglued the old knobs on... no wonder they were so hard to get off! Mustang knobs installed:

MaMo

Post by MaMo »

I immediately like this new poster. Awesome guitars, Dice.
scandoslav wrote:i heard these are wank when it comes to metal
RUN AMOK!.
Dice

Post by Dice »

MaMo wrote:I immediately like this new poster. Awesome guitars, Dice.
Hey, thanks!

Wait til you guys "get to know me" - I'm sort of a jerk! :shock:

I'll mind my manners until I've been around for a while, though! :lol:
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

purty guitfiddles, sir. welcome to shortscale!
Dice

Post by Dice »

dots wrote:purty guitfiddles, sir. welcome to shortscale!
Thank you - glad to be here!
MaMo

Post by MaMo »

Dice wrote:
MaMo wrote:I immediately like this new poster. Awesome guitars, Dice.
Wait til you guys "get to know me" - I'm sort of a jerk! :shock:
LOL, oh noes a dude with an attitude on shortscale, we couldn't possibly have that. Have you frequented our pub?
scandoslav wrote:i heard these are wank when it comes to metal
RUN AMOK!.
the isaac eaton

Post by the isaac eaton »

Dice wrote:
FitzG wrote:Christ
Thanks much. A lot of people have said that the Jag looks small on me... I'm 6'1 or 6'2 (depending on the day, it seems) - not that big, really!

Here is another shot w/ it:

I have the same problem, Im 6'1 and I used to play a les paul jr, loved the sound and the feel, but it was so small on me, it looked like i was playing a toy.
Mike wrote:Welcome to like 2005, you bleeding idiot.
Dice

Post by Dice »

Mamo - I'll check it out!

Isaac - I'll just deal with "looking funny" and get the tone I'm after! :lol:
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

that's a nice collection. i've never seen a 2nd generation musicmaster or duo with the spaghetti logo before, they normally have the transition one.
Dice

Post by Dice »

stewart wrote:that's a nice collection. i've never seen a 2nd generation musicmaster or duo with the spaghetti logo before, they normally have the transition one.
Its one of the very first! Early '64 (judging by the SN - I've yet to pull the neck). Notice that it doesn't say "MM II" on the decal - they were still using up the rest of the previous generation from what I understand. And, thanks much!
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i've got a 64 duo-sonic II, can't remember the month though. april maybe. it's got an L477xx serial with a transition logo. it was my #1 until a new purchase bumped it into 2nd place. i still adore it though.

mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

Welcome. Nice guitars BTW. You even make a Les Paul cool....P90's FTW...
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Dice

Post by Dice »

Stewart - that Duo is pure sex! I'd love to have it. 24" scale and all. Very nice!

Mickie - gotta have the P90's! I've got 3 Les Pauls that are in my main rotation - only one has humbuckers (nice handwounds from WB Pickups). The 3rd has some GFS Dream 90 (neck) and Mean 90 (bridge) pickups in it - and they sound GOOD! I've never played a LP that sounds as nice as my '69 though - its my favorite guitar... ever!
filtercap

Post by filtercap »

Gotta get home before I can see your short -n- scaleys. robble robble robble FIREWALL robble robble

Looking forward to seeing them tho. Welcome to the boards!
Dice

Post by Dice »

filtercap wrote:Gotta get home before I can see your short -n- scaleys. robble robble robble FIREWALL robble robble

Looking forward to seeing them tho. Welcome to the boards!
Hey - thank you for the welcome! For you to visualize... the Jag just looks like a clean '65 Targetburst, the MM is red, heavily checked, and beat to crap (although structurally in surprisingly good shape!), and the Mustang is pretty much Yellow (although it was white!) and heavily checked w/ some minor dings - but otherwise pretty clean. :P