Awesome interview in Tape Op #70 with Sufjan Stevens...

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

avj
A Select Individual

Awesome interview in Tape Op #70 with Sufjan Stevens...

Post by avj »

Sufjan Stevens is a guy I wrote off -- after hearing a only few tracks -- as someone I thought to be a wimpy indie-rock wanker. Because of my this, the interview in Tape Op #70 (Mar / Apr 2009) has made me feel like a complete dick, because the guy is a real testament to how great songwriting and a great vision can be captured in the most basic of ways.

I found some scans of the interview and uploaded them. I feel sort of weird about this, but I didn't scan it and it's a free* (albeit ad-supported) magazine. You should probably get yourself a FREE* subscription now if you haven't already.

Enough of my shit, here are the scans; they're quite large.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

* Well, free unless you're in Canada, Mexico, or Australia.
toez10

Post by toez10 »

nice post. there arent enough good things that can be said about tape op. One of the best publications for recording geeks, ever... and it's free.
dumb donnie

Post by dumb donnie »

Not necessarily a fan, but that's an interesting article. Thanks.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

in b4 miek

Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

God dammit, I get excited when I see this bumped because I think it means someone has actually read this extremely interesting interview, but it's always someone padding post counts for classifiedzness.

Please let me be wrong.
Last edited by avj on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reece

Post by Reece »

wait.

is this ANOTHER DOUBLE UNDEAD THREAD?

TOO MANY ZOMBIE ZOMBIES
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Six posts isn't really post-whoring your way into the classifieds. To me that looks more like a new guy looking at some threads and replying to a few he found interesting. This isn't exactl a fast paced forum, there are threads from early August on the first page. I don't think it's bad form to bump a thread that had good content but didn't get much attention when it was first posted, even if it had already happened once.
Shabba.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

James wrote:Six posts isn't really post-whoring your way into the classifieds. To me that looks more like a new guy looking at some threads and replying to a few he found interesting. This isn't exactl a fast paced forum, there are threads from early August on the first page. I don't think it's bad form to bump a thread that had good content but didn't get much attention when it was first posted, even if it had already happened once.
I think you're right. I jumped the gun without checking the content of his other posts. Based on shad's comment, I assumed that was his goal. I rescind my statement, dumb donnie -- and welcome to the forum.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Shad's comment is about sufjan rather than the new guy.

I can see why you'd recat like that, though, give some of the recent posting in other threads.
Shabba.
dumb donnie

Post by dumb donnie »

I'm not here to do any harm to your forum.

I don't have any musical interest in Sufjan Stevens but it was definitely a very interesting article. If it would make anyone feel a little more comfortable I'm completely willing to take a quiz to prove I actually read it.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

dumb donnie wrote:I'm not here to do any harm to your forum.

I don't have any musical interest in Sufjan Stevens but it was definitely a very interesting article. If it would make anyone feel a little more comfortable I'm completely willing to take a quiz to prove I actually read it.
Sounds like you'll fit in just fine here. Welcome.