Sell Crazy recording session deets

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Mike
I like EL34s

Sell Crazy recording session deets

Post by Mike »

At James' request

Pics:
► Show Spoiler
So Sell Crazy did our last major recording session for our album. We're compiling the best of three EPs we've done in the past (remastered) and two new tracks; End Of All which is an upbeat punky number and Shattered Into Pieces which is a slower ballad I guess, both are obstensibly about Gareth splitting up with his missus I think. Good songs.

We did the session at my folks place when they were away. We like to record as much as possible simultaneously to retain a decent live sound to our recordings, we're quite an energetic/sloppy live act and we like to try to capture that. The drums are Roland TD-20 (their flagship V-drums processor which sounds fantastic) that John has, he uses it for practise at home and we also use it for recording because to be honest, we get much better sonic results from it than trying to mic his kit. We had some guides down to a click which we used for John to play along to in order to nail his tracks, we were recording the MIDI output of the TD-20 (in case we need to re-run it through the brain at a later date if we don't like the drum sounds we captured) aswell as 8 tracks of drum "mics" within the TD-20. This thing is absurding good sounding and tweakable, it's all there - mic bleed, snare buzz, sympathetic vibrations. When you play it through headphones it sounds like you're playing a really well mic'd kit in a great studio.

This was all done via Gareth's Mackie Onyx Audio Interface/Mixer etc.

Then we recorded the guitars and bass all at the same time.

Bass was DI'd into the Mackie which has two Hi-Z channels.

My guitar was passed to my board and amp (JCM800 2204) via a DI box, and we also record the clean DI'd guitar in case we need to reamp later on. The amp is mic'd by an SM57.

Gareth's guitar is treated similarly into his Marshall TSL601 60W combo, also mic'd by an SM57.

The headphone amp is to the right of the Onyx so we all have nice loud headphone mixes for when we're playing. This all goes into the Laptop obviously in Sonar.

We did a few takes per song until we felt we had good takes that were technically correct and had the right feel.

Gearwise here's some nerdery:

Bass - J
Squier '97 Jazz Bass DI'd

Rhythm Guitars - Gareth

Fender '72 Telecaster Thinline RI -> Marshall TSL601 -> SM57.
Gareth used the Crunch channel on End Of All, and the Clean channel on Shattered Into Pieces

Rhythm Guitars - Mike

End Of All
Fender '66 Jaguar -> Marshall JCM800 2204 -> Marshall 1936 2x12" -> SM57.
I used the high input with the preamp all the way open and the Master around 3 for Crunchy goodness

Shattered Into Pieces
Fender '66 Jaguar -> MBM Saltbreaker -> MBM Blackstone -> MBM Saltshaker -> MBM Small Clone -> EHX Memory Boy -> Marshall JCM800 2204 -> Marshall 1936 2x12" -> SM57.
I used the low gain input with the preamp all the way open and the Master around 5 for a thick clean sound.

This will make more sense when we have finished the songs but:

The Verse is Saltshaker + Memory Boy
The Prechorus is Small Clone + Memory Boy
The Chorus is Saltbreaker

The Blackstone and Memory Boy is used on some post chorus augmentative playing.

Lead Guitar - Mike

End Of All
Fender '08 CP Jaguar -> MBM Saltbooster -> Marshall JCM800 2204 -> Marshall 1936 2x12" -> SM57.
I used the high gain input, with the preamp all the way open and the master at 6. This was loud as shit and feeding back crazy. Saltbooster on 12 o clock. Sounds molten.

Shattered Into Pieces
Fender '08 CP Jaguar -> MBM Saltbooster -> MBM Saltbreaker -> MBM Blackstone -> Marshall JCM800 2204 -> Marshall 1936 2x12" -> SM57
I used the low gain input with the preamp all the way open and the Master around 5 for a thick clean sound, solo starts with the Saltbooster into the Saltbreaker and I add the Blackstone as it really kicks off for more Saturation.

The CP Jag handles leads better as it has hotter pickups, I'm really happy with my guitar sounds (and playing, for once, particularly my rhythm parts) on these tracks. The vocals are all getting done in a week or so with Gareths Rode NT-5 and Valve PreAmp.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

..and the curry?
Shabba.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

haha

Off the top of my head.

2x Onion Bhaji Starters
2x Pilau Rice
1x Keema Naan
1x Plain Naan
1x Chana Massala
1x Saag Aloo
1x Chicken Dupiazza
1x Chicken Jalfreizi
1x Lamb Razalla
1x Vegetable Balti

It was good, yo
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

our drummer has one of them TD-20s too, they're quite cool but i find it hard to get a decent tom sound out of them. i'm interested to hear what result you get.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

YAY! :wink:

You could have mentioned what size pick you was using on which parts as well. Rolf.
Seriously though, i like the detail. I wished my favorite bands had gone into that, rather than some pathological obsessive throwing up a Geocities page making guess's as to what gear they used.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

stewart wrote:our drummer has one of them TD-20s too, they're quite cool but i find it hard to get a decent tom sound out of them. i'm interested to hear what result you get.
You have to tweak it for sure. Our drummer is a massive gearhead so he loves it and is willing to put the hours in. It sounds great to me.

haha Fran I did it mainly because I always ask similar questions of other people, I'm probably the only one sad enough to care though. Plus I thought people would like to know there was some MBM stuff on it for when they hear the final product.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Good stuff!
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I love this shot of the pedalboard and both Jags. It's cool how you can use them both since they have different pickups. I am dying waiting for my AVRI to come in the mail.

Are you using the Memory Boy instead of your MBM Delay? I have no need for a Memory Boy since I have a DL4, but I still want one.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Do you have the drums coming out of speakers or do you listen on headphones? Or do you record them first separately?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

taylornutt wrote:Image

I love this shot of the pedalboard and both Jags. It's cool how you can use them both since they have different pickups. I am dying waiting for my AVRI to come in the mail.

Are you using the Memory Boy instead of your MBM Delay? I have no need for a Memory Boy since I have a DL4, but I still want one.
Yeah but both delays can cop the sounds I want but the Memory Boy has just been on by board since I was testing it out at band volume for people. It's not kicked the Echo Base off per se, in fact I might put it back on this weekend.

Dan - we had the drums nailed first so they were just headphones, and when we were recordingkrunk covers after as a band we were all wearing headphones - Gareth, John and I all have these great Shure in ear earplugs/earphones
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Mike wrote:
taylornutt wrote:Image

Yeah but both delays can cop the sounds I want but the Memory Boy has just been on by board since I was testing it out at band volume for people. It's not kicked the Echo Base off per se, in fact I might put it back on this weekend.

Dan - we had the drums nailed first so they were just headphones, and when we were recordingkrunk covers after as a band we were all wearing headphones - Gareth, John and I all have these great Shure in ear earplugs/earphones
I have heard that it's important to mic the room when using earplugs so you can balance it out with the band for live performances
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |