Recording

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

FatCat

Recording

Post by FatCat »

Here's a... quick metal instrumental I did.

Equipment used is my pc =D with a Mackie 12 channel board, peavy drum mics, from the board into a bbe sonic maximizer into my pc.

The guitar tone you hear is my Rivera KH2 into a sonic maximizer into a behringer 412 w/ celestions. The guitar used is a Highway 1 Strat w/ JB Jr. in the bridge.

Lemme know what you think

http://www3.telus.net/withoutstanding/Mixdown.mp3
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

yup, that's m374L 4 LyP#3ZZZZ!!!!!!!!!1111

i dig the acoustic part towards the end. . . good tones throughout.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

i like the song and the guitar tones, but the drums seem weird to me.
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

what is the sonic maximiser? is it just an enhancer? if it is it sounds like you used a bit too much. mostly it sounds like youre getting decent sounds at the recording stage, but the mix doesnt seem quite there to me. Try and work on your snare sound a bit too.

Mostly its pretty good, maybe try a bit less gain for recording, or a bit less treble in your gain sound.
Shabba.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

gaybear wrote:i like the song and the guitar tones, but the drums seem weird to me.
death metal double kick drum pedals confusing you?

Sounds Kool.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

More Cowbell wrote:
gaybear wrote:i like the song and the guitar tones, but the drums seem weird to me.

Sounds Kool.
nah, it's more the snare sound and all the cymbals. the snare sound is just preference i suppose, but it seems like some wierd phasing stuff is going on with the high hat sound.
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

gaybear wrote:
More Cowbell wrote:

Sounds Kool.
nah, it's more the snare sound and all the cymbals. the snare sound is just preference i suppose, but it seems like some wierd phasing stuff is going on with the high hat sound.
I think its missing some GROWLING, that would fix the mix.
tremlock

Post by tremlock »

i totally dig this 100% throughout
"Icey"its cames when i unleash new skills
nine

Post by nine »

I know what you mean. Overall, the drums sound like cardboard boxes and the kick in particular sounds like someone patting really hard on a pillow.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

wtf. omgz. i've been working with metal bands lately (that's like all there is around here dammit!) and it's been a good challenge trying to get good sonds out of all this crap playing at the same time (and crap amplifiers).

The biggest problem I have with that recording is the drum playing, it's inconsistent and just doesn't flow. The mix seems to be missing crucial lowend as well.

The metalz snare is tough, but it's mostly in the drummer, if he hits the snare hard as hell, it's gonna sound better most of the time. but, when they're playing double bass, they tend to lose snare power.

I've been renting out my space for practice and gear storage (yes!) to the band City of R'Lyeh. They're just now coming up with material and i've been doing rough recordings of their practice sessions so they can have them for reference mainly since they can't practice with the vocalist all that much. that way he can just practice with the songs at home. it's been working and they're coming along nicely. whenever they get about 10 songs down, i think we're gonna work on an actual "project" where we get obsessive about the tones/sounds....I want them to upgrade their amps from the solid state Crate and Marshall combos. wtf is that?

Check out what's been recorded so far here:
http://www.myspace.com/cityofrlyeh
nine

Post by nine »

Sloan wrote:The biggest problem I have with that recording is the drum playing, it's inconsistent and just doesn't flow. The mix seems to be missing crucial lowend as well.
I noticed that about the drum playing as well. The drummer needs to work with a metronome for a while. He is doing some pretty tough stuff, but that's no excuse for such dramatic tempo changes.

You're also right on the low end missing. It's why the drums sound like cardboard. All slap and no boom.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

nine wrote:
Sloan wrote:The biggest problem I have with that recording is the drum playing, it's inconsistent and just doesn't flow. The mix seems to be missing crucial lowend as well.
I noticed that about the drum playing as well. The drummer needs to work with a metronome for a while. He is doing some pretty tough stuff, but that's no excuse for such dramatic tempo changes.

You're also right on the low end missing. It's why the drums sound like cardboard. All slap and no boom.
That's about all I'd say..... Still enjoyable though...
nine

Post by nine »

mezzio13 wrote:That's about all I'd say..... Still enjoyable though...
Oh yeah, for sure. FatCat, please don't take my criticisms as hating the whole recording. I'm just going for the surgical approach of finding what's wrong with it. The rest is pretty good.
louis
fuckin' A

Post by louis »

More Cowbell wrote:
gaybear wrote:
More Cowbell wrote: death metal double kick drum pedals confusing you?

Sounds Kool.
I think its missing some GROWLING, that would fix the mix.
wheres icebytes when you need him? "DO YOU READY!!! raaaa!"
Twitter: @fearthelivinguk
theshadowofseattle wrote:Nothin' but orange groves and black augs, as far as the eye could see.
nine

Post by nine »

louis wrote:"DO YOU READY!!! raaaa!"
Hahahahahaha. That was hilarious. :lol:
FatCat

Post by FatCat »

Thats just an instrumental I did for fun, i'm not the greatest drummer so the drums aren't the greatest :P

my actual BAND band is here :

http://www.myspace.com/zombieshakespearemusic